The STU feels like Poo

I would say the atmosphere on Tuesday night was probably the best we had despite the attendance. However we were getting muted on the breaks and it is killing our home court advantage. The Davidson game was probably the first game when I really noticed the difference it makes with the promos, even though it has been going on all year.

Stop the madness, unmute the Stud!

The Animal turned into The Promo

No idea about the actual reasons for it not working out with Ryan. It would seem to be money and/or personnel conflicts.

If it was money, how much revenue has been lost from the resulting decrease in interest? I would beat Ryan and the band would have paid for themselves many times over.

If it was personnel, how much did you really have to deal with him in any significant amount beyond quick pleasantries? In any entertainment industry, the talent is going to be a pain in the a$$. I would imagine you could meet with Ryan a couple times a year, then you wouldn't have to have much involvement with it.

The athletic dept really blew it. If they couldn't see how big a part of the environment the band was, then they were totally incompetent or just didn't care the negative effect it would have.

Havoc City

Elite Member
No idea about the actual reasons for it not working out with Ryan. It would seem to be money and/or personnel conflicts.

If it was money, how much revenue has been lost from the resulting decrease in interest? I would beat Ryan and the band would have paid for themselves many times over.

If it was personnel, how much did you really have to deal with him in any significant amount beyond quick pleasantries? In any entertainment industry, the talent is going to be a pain in the a$$. I would imagine you could meet with Ryan a couple times a year, then you wouldn't have to have much involvement with it.

The athletic dept really blew it. If they couldn't see how big a part of the environment the band was, then they were totally incompetent or just didn't care the negative effect it would have.
Letting go of Ryan was when this all began. I'm still amazed that after it happened, a lot of people on this board claimed the band was just as good as ever, even though the energy was completely different, and quite obviously so. The new guy has been a dud from day one.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I remember having to walk by hookers on my way to the Coliseum. Those were the days.
Don't remember the hookers, but definitely remember walking to the Coliseum in the late 70's. Usually a group of us from the BSU. Those games were great, though I have to say the intimacy of the Stu kicked the atmosphere up a few notches.

Letting go of Ryan was when this all began. I'm still amazed that after it happened, a lot of people on this board claimed the band was just as good as ever, even though the energy was completely different, and quite obviously so. The new guy has been a dud from day one.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Ryan was an integral part of the electric atmosphere we had when he was leading the band. His leadership, energy, enthusiasm, and ability to dial up the right songs at the right times was magical.

TTL PKG

Elite Member
So I was at the game today, and im going to give my opinion on things that I havent given my opinion on since ive been gone. Whenever I do something like this it pisses some people off, makes some people cheer, and leaves some scratching their head wondering if I graduated highschool. The truth is all the way home I thougt about starting a thread about the atmosphere at our arena and its decline in recent years. It just so happens when I got home this thread exists already.....

Ill start with the good news. I was just at a UVA game and while some of their in-game flow was better and they had some fringe better use of displays and placements their atmosphere is in my opinion super lame. Its a great venue to go and watch a game that you dont care about. Thats how it felt to me. Our atmosphere has always felt better than that. ALWAYS! I have never felt we were like a UVA, UR, W&M. The band at UVA was ugh not great..... and I think everyone on here knows what I mean. We are very very lucky with what we have had and have. That goes for all aspects. More good news is we have a lot of people that care, and you guys care a lot!

Here is the bad news........ Our atmosphere SUCKS compared to what it was, and it gets a bit worse every season in my humble opinion. Ive waited this long to speak because I wanted to make sure it didnt sound like sour grapes on my part. I wanted to make sure I didnt have a bias and I was being fair to the admin, band, team, and all involved. Bottom line is while its a good product (dont forget we still have a good product) but its a far cry from what it was and we have stopped moving forward and are actually moving backward.

The band has a lot of problems and the students arent the problems. I know there are a couple of band members on this forum so ill put this mildly but it seems some of the choices of songs and timing are questionable. Even today and today was about as good as ive heard it. Can I add though that those tubas today YUMMY!!!! I LOVE A GOOD HIGH SCHOOL BAND DAY! Anyway.... Replication without understanding why youre doing it comes across hollow, and thats the best I can explain whats happening. I did my best to show the current band director why I did what I did, but the thought it would ever go down like this didnt cross my mind. If in some alternate world I ever came back things are so off with the abnd right not it seems, I would likely change almost everything. WAR, Havoc you fear, especially if I felt I couldnt get the buy in back. It just feels like it needs a fresh start. Plus I had plans in the works that I never got to move forward with that was hopefully going to make things much better.

The timeouts are structured weird. The hype lady is weird. I feel funny saying that since she tried to drag me on twitter once so it seems like my sweet revenge but shes just not good at it. Her and Ed are besties though. The thing about Melissa Chase at UR before she moved to Houston, Melissa was darn darn good! I dont like the idea but she made it as good as you could in my opinion. Bree is dry and there seems to be a lag. The material she has to deal with doesnt help her either. Also thats more of a Kelli Lemon crowd...... Just my two cents

Look covid is covid. Stop blaming it. We all take that L. But we also cant adjust down to it. As a matter of fact if I were in position I take this time to raise the expectation higher for atmosphere, WITH the understanding that covid is a limiting factor but you darn sure dont act like a victim and say "well covid has us in a bind so we get what we get" BULLpoop! Thats why weve got what weve got right now.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns feel free to chat through DM or on here. Some of the band stuff in the past ive seen posted hasnt always been the most accurate soooooo. Like I always say I can only speak to things within the organization when I was there obviously. Everythng after I was gone is observation.

Ryan Kopacsi

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
So I was at the game today, and im going to give my opinion on things that I havent given my opinion on since ive been gone. Whenever I do something like this it pisses some people off, makes some people cheer, and leaves some scratching their head wondering if I graduated highschool. The truth is all the way home I thougt about starting a thread about the atmosphere at our arena and its decline in recent years. It just so happens when I got home this thread exists already.....

Ill start with the good news. I was just at a UVA game and while some of their in-game flow was better and they had some fringe better use of displays and placements their atmosphere is in my opinion super lame. Its a great venue to go and watch a game that you dont care about. Thats how it felt to me. Our atmosphere has always felt better than that. ALWAYS! I have never felt we were like a UVA, UR, W&M. The band at UVA was ugh not great..... and I think everyone on here knows what I mean. We are very very lucky with what we have had and have. That goes for all aspects. More good news is we have a lot of people that care, and you guys care a lot!

Here is the bad news........ Our atmosphere SUCKS compared to what it was, and it gets a bit worse every season in my humble opinion. Ive waited this long to speak because I wanted to make sure it didnt sound like sour grapes on my part. I wanted to make sure I didnt have a bias and I was being fair to the admin, band, team, and all involved. Bottom line is while its a good product (dont forget we still have a good product) but its a far cry from what it was and we have stopped moving forward and are actually moving backward.

The band has a lot of problems and the students arent the problems. I know there are a couple of band members on this forum so ill put this mildly but it seems some of the choices of songs and timing are questionable. Even today and today was about as good as ive heard it. Can I add though that those tubas today YUMMY!!!! I LOVE A GOOD HIGH SCHOOL BAND DAY! Anyway.... Replication without understanding why youre doing it comes across hollow, and thats the best I can explain whats happening. I did my best to show the current band director why I did what I did, but the thought it would ever go down like this didnt cross my mind. If in some alternate world I ever came back things are so off with the abnd right not it seems, I would likely change almost everything. WAR, Havoc you fear, especially if I felt I couldnt get the buy in back. It just feels like it needs a fresh start. Plus I had plans in the works that I never got to move forward with that was hopefully going to make things much better.

The timeouts are structured weird. The hype lady is weird. I feel funny saying that since she tried to drag me on twitter once so it seems like my sweet revenge but shes just not good at it. Her and Ed are besties though. The thing about Melissa Chase at UR before she moved to Houston, Melissa was darn darn good! I dont like the idea but she made it as good as you could in my opinion. Bree is dry and there seems to be a lag. The material she has to deal with doesnt help her either. Also thats more of a Kelli Lemon crowd...... Just my two cents

Look covid is covid. Stop blaming it. We all take that L. But we also cant adjust down to it. As a matter of fact if I were in position I take this time to raise the expectation higher for atmosphere, WITH the understanding that covid is a limiting factor but you darn sure dont act like a victim and say "well covid has us in a bind so we get what we get" BULLpoop! Thats why weve got what weve got right now.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns feel free to chat through DM or on here. Some of the band stuff in the past ive seen posted hasnt always been the most accurate soooooo. Like I always say I can only speak to things within the organization when I was there obviously. Everythng after I was gone is observation.

Ryan Kopacsi
Need to bring "Jungle Boogie", "Say It Ain't So", and "Mr. Carter" back into the band rotation.
The Peppas knocked all 3 of those out of the park, imo.

RamLover

Elite Member
The atmosphere today was indeed the best it’s been in awhile, but I think it was due to all the old players at the game. The messages from tre’s former teammates and coaches made things nice, and having some of those players there for entertainment was nice. It was also awesome to see that RMC employee dancing, but unless VCU planted her, the athletics department had nothing to do with that.

All that stuff isn’t going to be there every game, so what’s left?

The worst part about today was the sound. It was BLARING. So loud, but not in a good way. Everything they played that was recorded (the videos, music) was so, so loud, and I’m so confused how no one in charge or who works there couldn’t also realize it was way too loud and simply turn the dial down a few notches. It’s awesome when the fans are screaming and the band is playing, and you can’t hear yourself think. It’s not awesome when the bad audio of a corporate game sound effect is busting out your eardrums.

TTL PKG

Elite Member
The atmosphere today was indeed the best it’s been in awhile, but I think it was due to all the old players at the game. The messages from tre’s former teammates and coaches made things nice, and having some of those players there for entertainment was nice. It was also awesome to see that RMC employee dancing, but unless VCU planted her, the athletics department had nothing to do with that.

All that stuff isn’t going to be there every game, so what’s left?

The worst part about today was the sound. It was BLARING. So loud, but not in a good way. Everything they played that was recorded (the videos, music) was so, so loud, and I’m so confused how no one in charge or who works there couldn’t also realize it was way too loud and simply turn the dial down a few notches. It’s awesome when the fans are screaming and the band is playing, and you can’t hear yourself think. It’s not awesome when the bad audio of a corporate game sound effect is busting out your eardrums.
The atmosphere was better than it had been recently but still not close to what it was and certainly not moving forward. Look maybe today is a step in the right direction back to that path, but just because it felt good doesnt make it so. There were too many things still in play. Lots of dead air between stopages of plays.

Lots of weird promo spots in weird places.

I agree with you when you say that most of the positive was from the former players and coaches.

Even the RMC girl dancing (which was awesome and seemed completely authentic) is a stray away from the goal from what most want out of the STU. In my mind, and correct me if im wrong, most people want the STU as a place thats feared to come and play in. Known for intense stress and pressure and maybe sprinkled in are the light and fun moments of dancing usher, the baby races, the times to honor the heros among us. We can not lose focus on what we are all there to do. We are all there to win basketball games. Its all I have ever preached.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I will admit this was one of my favorites along with Public Service Announcement while in Brooklyn. I just felt like they were epic

"Ante Up" in Brooklyn was the BEST (...where M.O.P. is from). Coolest thing too was seeing the stunned/amazed/excited looks on the faces of all the ushers and local fans when y'all started playing that.

Related note: I give myself 50% credit for that one because that was my recommendation! Thank you for actually playing it!!!

Also just considering the point of that song and a pep band playing it...it was the perfect song for our team and players. How many of our players do you think knew that song? Likely all of them. It's like the ultimate "WE'RE ABOUT TO FIGHT" song and if the point of a pep band is to fire up the players and crowd, well then you go with a song like Ante Up.

Also just peep this video. This stuff was special. Hear the crowd losing their mind for the band AND HAVING FUN. And peep the massive student section that surrounds them. This whole vibe is completely gone and that is a major loss. It shouldn't be considered acceptable. Instead of this we get, "hey, who's smile is that? By Richmond Dentistry" or whatever. VCU games just aren't nearly as fun as they used to be and IMO, that is a major part of it. Even if the team was struggling, we had those insane people in the corner of the store helping us get through tough games that otherwise weren't enjoyable, but they also I think truly helped fire up the team as well.