The STU feels like Poo

TTL PKG

Elite Member
"Ante Up" in Brooklyn was the BEST (...where M.O.P. is from). Coolest thing too was seeing the stunned/amazed/excited looks on the faces of all the ushers and local fans when y'all started playing that.

Related note: I give myself 50% credit for that one because that was my recommendation! Thank you for actually playing it!!!

Also just considering the point of that song and a pep band playing it...it was the perfect song for our team and players. How many of our players do you think knew that song? Likely all of them. It's like the ultimate "WE'RE ABOUT TO FIGHT" song and if the point of a pep band is to fire up the players and crowd, well then you go with a song like Ante Up.

Also just peep this video. This stuff was special. Hear the crowd losing their mind for the band AND HAVING FUN. And peep the massive student section that surrounds them. This whole vibe is completely gone and that is a major loss. It shouldn't be considered acceptable. Instead of this we get, "hey, who's smile is that? By Richmond Dentistry" or whatever. VCU games just aren't nearly as fun as they used to be and IMO, that is a major part of it. Even if the team was struggling, we had those insane people in the corner of the store helping us get through tough games that otherwise weren't enjoyable, but they also I think truly helped fire up the team as well.

Yo my bad! you are so right! That was 150% your recomedation. It was so so so fire too. Reggie Pace, one of the founders of NoBS told me after we started playing it, that he was at a game and heard us play it and started getting hype. He felt like it was a black mans national anthem. Obviously a bit tongue and cheek there BUT it goes back to your point of how many of the guys knew it and could rock with it. Also after playing some of those songs in Barclays we had free reign to do whatever we wanted in the building.

I tell you another favorite.... was when we FINALY won the A10 title and we played Trophies. Bri was there all broke up and everyone was exhausted and excited. It was just great. Then we ended with Empire State of Mind by Jay with Alicia Keys.

That Miley Cyrus performance in particular was amazing because, and im sure its been said in the past, but I was told and you can sorta tell in other videos that the refs extended the timeout. They were waiting for us to finish. It was such a big moment. Even the opposing players were like WTF is going on. Honestly I was so nervous that the whole thing was going to be a huge and incredible bust BUT at the point we were there and it was sink or swim.

Text me or DM me I have some interesting information that id like to share and get your take on it. Thanks for the memories

Ramdog

Elite Member
The atmosphere today was indeed the best it’s been in awhile, but I think it was due to all the old players at the game. The messages from tre’s former teammates and coaches made things nice, and having some of those players there for entertainment was nice. It was also awesome to see that RMC employee dancing, but unless VCU planted her, the athletics department had nothing to do with that.

All that stuff isn’t going to be there every game, so what’s left?

The worst part about today was the sound. It was BLARING. So loud, but not in a good way. Everything they played that was recorded (the videos, music) was so, so loud, and I’m so confused how no one in charge or who works there couldn’t also realize it was way too loud and simply turn the dial down a few notches. It’s awesome when the fans are screaming and the band is playing, and you can’t hear yourself think. It’s not awesome when the bad audio of a corporate game sound effect is busting out your eardrums.
It was a plant...she was long gone after that dance

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
It was a plant...she was long gone after that dance
She was right above my section 5. Ha! I snuck in the side of the big board shot as she was dancing.

OK, on this subject...it is all about having someone really good and detailed when it comes to a game day experience. Right now VCU does not have that. They have a routine. They need spontaneity. Over the years I have seen crazy crowds and how they got that way. The first was Godwin Hall in the 70s. They had insane student involvement and it carried over throughout the entire game. In my opinion VCU needs to figure out the student section. They need to be proactive and figure out how they can get them buzzing and going wild from pre-tip to the buzzer. Get a hype man or woman to get the band and the details of game day in order. That is all a start if you ask me. Next year they need to get it going because they will have a very good team and if the details are worked on for every game day they might get it back. Details are something that VCU is not good at though. I passionate student could get the hype train rolling though.

Last edited:

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
She was right above my section 5. Ha! I snuck in the side of the big board shot as she was dancing.

OK, on this subject...it is all about having someone really good and detailed when it comes to a game day experience. Right now VCU does not have that. They have a routine. They need spontaneity. Over the years I have seen crazy crowds and how they got that way. The first was Godwin Hall in the 70s. They had insane student involvement and it carried over throughout the entire game. In my opinion VCU needs to figure out the student section. They need to be proactive and figure out how they can get them buzzing and going wild from pre-tip to the buzzer. Get a hype man or woman to get the band and the details of game day in order. That is all a start if you ask me. Next year they need to get it going because they will have a very good team and if the details are worked on for every game day they might get it back. Details are something that VCU is not good at though. I passionate student could get the hype train rolling though.

Absolutely agree, the student section has definitely taken a step back from the last "glory days" era......the AD can help with that, but they're gonna need student/recent alum boots on the ground to
A-get students back in force...clearly requires social media/phone related ads/info/hype
B-make it EASY for students to get in AND have the ability to quickly pivot from empty seats in other sections to student butts in seats

That will require a position to be created/filled/laterally moved to from some in the AD...preferably someone who was actually there for those aforementioned "glory days". It can and should be done...this isn't just about the band

While they're at it? Forget the "sellout streak" BS....is became phony and silly to perpetuate that lie. The streak is dead and gone....blame whomever or whatever you want, but aint no one gonna miss it. Promo's are a real world $$$ coming into a Program that wants/needs $$$....but there has to be a more organic and less wonky way to do that...that's way above my pay grade as an armchair message board shmuck.

It would be a welcome sight when this friggin pandemic sh#t is handled/mitigated/kind-of-over? and the work (it WILL be work) goes in to fixing the Stu experience.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Absolutely agree, the student section has definitely taken a step back from the last "glory days" era......the AD can help with that, but they're gonna need student/recent alum boots on the ground to
A-get students back in force...clearly requires social media/phone related ads/info/hype
B-make it EASY for students to get in AND have the ability to quickly pivot from empty seats in other sections to student butts in seats

That will require a position to be created/filled/laterally moved to from some in the AD...preferably someone who was actually there for those aforementioned "glory days". It can and should be done...this isn't just about the band

While they're at it? Forget the "sellout streak" BS....is became phony and silly to perpetuate that lie. The streak is dead and gone....blame whomever or whatever you want, but aint no one gonna miss it. Promo's are a real world $$$ coming into a Program that wants/needs $$$....but there has to be a more organic and less wonky way to do that...that's way above my pay grade as an armchair message board shmuck.

It would be a welcome sight when this friggin pandemic sh#t is handled/mitigated/kind-of-over? and the work (it WILL be work) goes in to fixing the Stu experience.
Once they get in is important for them to have a detailed plan. Keep hopping and buzzing the entire time. Constant noise. Get sweaty. Not enough of them being recruited. The students should fill the East and West ends.

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Yo my bad! you are so right! That was 150% your recomedation. It was so so so fire too. Reggie Pace, one of the founders of NoBS told me after we started playing it, that he was at a game and heard us play it and started getting hype. He felt like it was a black mans national anthem. Obviously a bit tongue and cheek there BUT it goes back to your point of how many of the guys knew it and could rock with it. Also after playing some of those songs in Barclays we had free reign to do whatever we wanted in the building.

I tell you another favorite.... was when we FINALY won the A10 title and we played Trophies. Bri was there all broke up and everyone was exhausted and excited. It was just great. Then we ended with Empire State of Mind by Jay with Alicia Keys.

That Miley Cyrus performance in particular was amazing because, and im sure its been said in the past, but I was told and you can sorta tell in other videos that the refs extended the timeout. They were waiting for us to finish. It was such a big moment. Even the opposing players were like WTF is going on. Honestly I was so nervous that the whole thing was going to be a huge and incredible bust BUT at the point we were there and it was sink or swim.

Text me or DM me I have some interesting information that id like to share and get your take on it. Thanks for the memories
I remember screaming Empire State of Mind at Barclays after we beat Dayton in the 2015 title game. PERFECT song for the moment.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

In regards to your first bolded statement.... easy... Get rid of the ticket claim system & go back to the way it was in the past where students got in line hours before the game.

as for the 2nd part.... The guy who was here for those Glory Days & worked directly with the Rowdy Rams & students.... is still there but has a different role in the dept. now.

The A10 title year I had booked with a friend months in advance and then our standing dropped hard. Both of us went up Wednesday with no expectations. By sheer luck we had the cheerleader/dancer hotel. Everyday the parties at the hotel and beer hall got more and more crazy. It was awesome. The night we beat Davidson was absolutely crazy at the beer hall. People kept bringing me tall mugs and Das boots. I know my bar tab was pretty good but that didn’t touch a few who were buying shots for the beer hall regularly during the day. God that week was incredible. Still have streamers and such from the arena. Taking over the arena every day and outnumbering Dayton heavily in the championship was amazing. That and hi jacking the Today show then taking the VCU buses straight through NYC and Times Square.

Last edited:
In regards to your first bolded statement.... easy... Get rid of the ticket claim system & go back to the way it was in the past where students got in line hours before the game.

as for the 2nd part.... The guy who was here for those Glory Days & worked directly with the Rowdy Rams & students.... is still there but has a different role in the dept. now.
I don’t see the students doing that. Maybe they would but I feel that was a different era and different breed of student fan. But then we didn’t question lines because that was the best way to do it. App or ticket system just wasn’t on the radar. Now everything is digital, virtual, application, etc. Would fans stand outside for 6 hours for Dayton like fans did for odu? What about the really big games where people were there crack of dawn or even overnight? I feel students would question a system where they have sit out and work on homework via laptop and such like we did.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
The one thing I will say is... I like that we actually got some of our Alumni players involved in the promos. Remember when from time to time during the Papa Johns shoot out.... at the end they'd bring out one of the former players to see if they can hit the half court shot for the arena?

Last night bringing Torey & Doug out there to compete for the fans was awesome.... although wasn't much of a competition cause Torey drained the 3... but still, it was better than usual.

Also with the Papa John's shootout... are they not allowing rebounders anymore cause of covid? Or do these people that get picked just have no friends? Cause last night the dude doing the papa johns shoot out... was having to rebound himself... even the Athletics people that were on the court working the promo refused to help rebound for him.

Like WTF

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I don’t see the students doing that. Maybe they would but I feel that was a different era and different breed of student fan. But then we didn’t question lines because that was the best way to do it. App or ticket system just wasn’t on the radar. Now everything is digital, virtual, application, etc. Would fans stand outside for 6 hours for Dayton like fans did for odu? What about the really big games where people were there crack of dawn or even overnight? I feel students would question a system where they have sit out and work on homework via laptop and such like we did.
It would end up like me my first game at VCU... that wasn't even a big opponent game.

I didn't think I needed to get out there super early for the games... Showed up 30 mins before the doors opened... the line was wrapped down harrison street onto Marshall street. I was like 5 or 6 away from the cutoff point.

I made sure never to do that again.... I'm sure the current students would figure out real quick... showing up 10 mins before the doors open aint gonna cut it anymore. And the handful of current rowdies I know.... would show up early like we did back in the day.

92VCUpikapp

Elite Member
"Ante Up" in Brooklyn was the BEST (...where M.O.P. is from). Coolest thing too was seeing the stunned/amazed/excited looks on the faces of all the ushers and local fans when y'all started playing that.

Related note: I give myself 50% credit for that one because that was my recommendation! Thank you for actually playing it!!!

Also just considering the point of that song and a pep band playing it...it was the perfect song for our team and players. How many of our players do you think knew that song? Likely all of them. It's like the ultimate "WE'RE ABOUT TO FIGHT" song and if the point of a pep band is to fire up the players and crowd, well then you go with a song like Ante Up.

Also just peep this video. This stuff was special. Hear the crowd losing their mind for the band AND HAVING FUN. And peep the massive student section that surrounds them. This whole vibe is completely gone and that is a major loss. It shouldn't be considered acceptable. Instead of this we get, "hey, who's smile is that? By Richmond Dentistry" or whatever. VCU games just aren't nearly as fun as they used to be and IMO, that is a major part of it. Even if the team was struggling, we had those insane people in the corner of the store helping us get through tough games that otherwise weren't enjoyable, but they also I think truly helped fire up the team as well.

Lesson in life. You never know how good you have it til it’s gone.

Hope we can somehow get that passion and execution back. We were feared, and the best.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
To be great at anything, you have to take chances. You and the band certainly took chances, most of the time you hit it out of the park. I for one miss that.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Lesson in life. You never know how good you have it til it’s gone.

Hope we can somehow get that passion and execution back. We were feared, and the best.
Look, I am not in the know, so there may be reasons, but why is there not a movement within the VCU fan community to bring Ryan back? The band needs help. You see a shot of them on TV these days and they look dead, they are NOT the PEPPA's They are starting to remind me of the old Drexal pep band with the 70yo director back in the CAA days.

But I will have to say watching the GooMoo game last night there was no student involvement and even the Green Machine sounds like it has lost a step. Maybe it's a generational thing.