The STU feels like Poo

rammad90

Elite Member
TBH on TV it sounded loud last night at points, louder than games I've been at earlier in the season. I stopped going when the numbers started rapidly escalating. I'll save yall the details, but the food cart business never was easy and prohibited us from living anything resembling a normal lifestyle the entire time we did it while we were able to do it, no expensive vacations for us, no new furniture, we worked out asses off just so we could work and be together. A live GAME in there is beyond the high point, and the opportunity to do it was/IS the perhaps the funnest most fulfilling that could be sent our way... but having carelessly unmasked people surrounding our seats leading into beyond rapid escalation in numbers told both of us here, no more, at least until things begin to rapidly come down. I know of some other rammaniacs who now also fear the environment, the kind of people that will get an entire section on their feet (several whose reputations precede them). It's having an impact here.

SUCKS being 3 minutes from the stu being too fearful of what's inside to be there in person.

Just wanna ask as well, can we get ONE masked, actually rowdy person sitting in some of these seats?

They monitor every other section of the arena. Seems like we need to get these folks compliant

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Attendance and the promotions are obvious vibe-killers. The promos just killlll me...pretty cringe-worthy stuff there. The Rowdy Rams don't seem to exist anymore and honestly an offense that struggles to score probably doesn't help the energy much either.

Definitely just a different time to be a VCU fan.
Last night VCU hit a big 3 and the crowd was amped. Davidson called a timeout and the Peppa's start playing War but then she walked out and start talking about a promotion. From loud to dead silence in seconds. The crowd and band would have kept the atmosphere loud and wild coming out of that timeout and into play. The crowd was quieted and the momentum was crushed.

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Attendance and the promotions are obvious vibe-killers. The promos just killlll me...pretty cringe-worthy stuff there. The Rowdy Rams don't seem to exist anymore and honestly an offense that struggles to score probably doesn't help the energy much either.

I honestly feel bad for some of the promotional folks. I like Bree a lot, but she shouldn't be asked to be the pump up girl.

I would agree that if we had a better offense it might be a little more fun to watch. I do find it frustrating that we are still a WINNING fudgeing program and live fan support has drifted.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Last night VCU hit a big 3 and the crowd was amped. Davidson called a timeout and the Peppa's start playing War but then she out and start talking about a promotion. From loud to dead silence in seconds. The crowd and band would have kept the atmosphere loud and wild coming out of that timeout and into play. The crowd was quieted and the momentum was crushed.
I believe that was towards the end of the first half. We trailed by 8, Ace stole the ball at midcourt, got blatantly fouled but the officials let them play on. He drove to the hoop and kicked it to Vince for a 3 from the wing to cut it to 5.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Last night VCU hit a big 3 and the crowd was amped. Davidson called a timeout and the Peppa's start playing War but then she out and start talking about a promotion. From loud to dead silence in seconds. The crowd and band would have kept the atmosphere loud and wild coming out of that timeout and into play. The crowd was quieted and the momentum was crushed.
No sh!t. We really needed to get that Candy Bar contest in.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
No sh!t. We really needed to get that Candy Bar contest in.
I hate to say it but it really has turned into a UR-like atmosphere like someone else pointed out earlier. It is all due to so many timeout promotions. Does it have to be during almost every single timeout? The team is on a run and causes the other team to call a timeout the crowd is into it but then a promotion which quiets the crowd. All to shill something. It is just plain dumb. People complain that the Peppas are not the same but they do not get to rock the house during timeouts.

Last edited:

MattRock

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Honestly felt like I was at a Richmond Spiders game last night (one where they're not playing VCU).

- The promotions stuff sucks. Sucks away all momentum, and it's often just cringeworthy.
- The rich people blatantly not wearing masks pisses me off due to their proximity to the team. I got up and moved because of it, for my own personal concern.
- The sound system is AWFUL (I don't know what happened here because it sounded great 5 years ago, must need to be retuned). The person controlling the sound system has NO CLUE how to level out volume.
- The peppas consistently playing the fight song 1-2 minutes after the team is already on the floor.

These are just a few of many things, that if SOMEONE, ANYONE at VCU was really concerned about the atmosphere, could easily fix.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

Heck, ODU had a better atmosphere this year when VCU played there. They have a better mix of timeout activities to get the crowd into it.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Let me start start by saying I am not committed to either side of this discussion. This is only intended to invoke thought. Where does the Athletic department get money to pay for shiny things? Here are the places that most people seemed to consider off limit

• Student fees
  • Raising donor levels and season tickets
  • Revenue from sponsors via promotions

My hope is that someone may suggest something that has not been thought off by the people paid to come up with ideas that will satisfy al parties 🤷‍♂️

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Let me start start by saying I am not committed to either side of this discussion. This is only intended to invoke thought. Where does the Athletic department get money to pay for shiny things? Here are the places that most people seemed to consider off limit

• Student fees
  • Raising donor levels and season tickets
  • Revenue from sponsors via promotions

My hope is that someone may suggest something that has not been thought off by the people paid to come up with ideas that will satisfy al parties 🤷‍♂️
So you are Switzerland. I agree they are looking at money. I hope they are getting it because things are bad and they are losing fans.

Honestly felt like I was at a Richmond Spiders game last night (one where they're not playing VCU).

- The promotions stuff sucks. Sucks away all momentum, and it's often just cringeworthy.
- The rich people blatantly not wearing masks pisses me off due to their proximity to the team. I got up and moved because of it, for my own personal concern.
- The sound system is AWFUL (I don't know what happened here because it sounded great 5 years ago, must need to be retuned). The person controlling the sound system has NO CLUE how to level out volume.
- The peppas consistently playing the fight song 1-2 minutes after the team is already on the floor.

These are just a few of many things, that if SOMEONE, ANYONE at VCU was really concerned about the atmosphere, could easily fix.

Where do I give my resume to fix this bs?

Experience:

-Too many darn years as a Rowdy Ram officer working on road trips, sraf, raf, etc.
-Did I mention too many darn years as a Rowdy Ram officer?

—-
There was a time athletics really knew about the fans. I use to go up into the offices of any VCU athletics person to discuss game day issues, rowdy issues, etc. They asked US for meetings to discuss ideas routinely. Now it’s like the folks are just riding the inherited train and hoping it won’t derail. Well it’s derailing. They better figure out how to start getting the fans back into games especially if the product on the court isn’t the best. VCU never took into account if we went through a time where fans didn’t pack the place or us having off years. They ignored it and just hoped we kept rolling along. heck I bet the Rowdies and Athletics don’t even talk except maybe a email to the leaders about the program each year. The officers and I saw them every other week during the season and even the off-season for other sports.