The STU feels like Poo

Ramaholic

Elite Member
In my opinion, the most exciting things of the in game experience (in no particular order) aside from the game:
1. Papa John Shootout (when we had it)
2. The Hey song Rock and Roll Part 2
3 The its "Havoc you Fear" and "You Dont want to go to war" songs during breaks when we are rallying
4. Gold Rush routine both at Half time and in game. They are pretty darn good.

Next up were:
Honoring Vets
Honoring Alums and Kids and Community heroes
Half court shot/ Win Franks money (pick one, not both)

Everything else on court should go. You should let vendors hand stuff out at the gates after the game. Throw stuff into the crowd (shirts, burritos, rolls...). Pan the crowd for smiles and goofy dances (while the band is playing). Let vendors have some concourse space to exhibit there products/ services . Let vendors sponsor timeout GRD routines or Peppa breaks. And then VCU should do everything in there power to blow those vendors up on social media, Coach's show, print media and such to let them (and the audience) know how important they are to the program.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Lack of attendance due to covid and masks muffling cheering from those who are in attendance are issues affecting the atmosphere which will go away eventually. Lack of attendance for other reasons will be a persistent issue until the athletic department makes some adjustments. Lack of student attendance and engagement has really killed the vibe. I don't know what happened there, but 10 years ago we had more students in line 4 hours before the game than we have in attendance now.
10 years ago you had to be in line hours before the game... because thats how you got into games.... not this stupid ticket claim system where you gotta claim tickets a week or two in advance (not knowing 100% for sure if you will make the game)... and then if you don't get to claim a ticket.... there's a stand by line that prob never gets used because students don't know about it.

And because of the ticket claim system... people don't have to line up hours early to make sure they get in, because they're guaranteed a seat,

Where as in our days... especially on big games like Fur, Fodu, GMU (when they were relevant in the CAA), Any big games (like Oklahoma) you had to be in line... no later than 2 hours before the doors open to guarantee yourself getting in the door. And if you wanted a front row seat by the Band.... you had to be in line at least 3-4 hours before the doors open to be close to the front of the line.

And we all know... the whole reason VCU went to the student ticket claim system.... was so that any unused tickets by students they could turn around & sell to the public and/or have Saxon Shoes buy up to keep the sell out streak going.
The promos definitely suck. I get that sponsors generate revenue, but that revenue will go away if they don't make the promos more entertaining. They are derivative and exhausting. It feels like Groundhogs Day sitting through the exact same promo games at the exact same times with the exact same script 17 times a season. I am at every game and I couldn't even tell you what they are all for. I just tune them out at this point and I suspect others do as well.
I tuned her out a long time ago... she seems like a nice person... but im sorry... totally kills the vibe at games with nonstop promos & she certainly doesn't bring a whole lot of energy. It seems more scripted than a WWE Live Event.
We have a minor league baseball team in town that enhances the fan experience through contests, games, and promos. Ours just seem to turn people off which is not good for fans or sponsors. I believe we have plenty of creative people in the athletic department. They just have to drop the game day script and let them use that creativity.
Well... for one the people running promotions at the squirrels have a lot more energy, passion than Bree does at VCU games. I mean anyone who knows Parney or has seen him.... the dude has a lot of energy & aint afraid to make himself look like a fool to entertain the crowd.... and if you ever talk to the dude in person... hes a very cool dude. Same goes for the other people running their in games promotions.

Remember when the whole win Franks money.... actually had Frank out there running the promo & how much smoother it was? Or when you had the Virginia Lottery Game Guy doing his promotions. Or at some games where they had the Simon Says guy a half time, with a bunch of fans involved.... and the energy he brings.

Heck... when Robby Robinson was doing in game promotions.... even the ones that were pre-recorded... like the layup challenge trying to beat another Ram player or coach from a different team. Robby brought more energy in his promos.... then again he calls games and you gotta have a personality to do that.

Sure some people still tuned them out, cause they didn't care about the in-game promos.... but all those people had way more energy & passion for their promos than Bree does.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
For what it's worth, I was talking to a long time season ticket holder at Home Team before the game the other night and he told me that he recently had a convo with Ed.

I think its been mentioned on here before, but there will be another re-seating after this season. I was told that some of the "newer" season ticket holders have jumped in with better seats due to former season ticket holders ending their packages. It has clearly rubbed some folks the wrong way and my understanding is that there will be an effort for better seats to be given to long time season ticket holders who are not in the upper echelon of donations.

I was also told that though we've lost season ticket holders since last season, we've gained that right back with new season ticket holders. Now I don't know if that means 2 tickets from an alum or if a company bought tickets.
As far as the bolded statement.... Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it. How they gonna make that work?

VCU85

Elite Member
They monitor every other section of the arena. Seems like we need to get these folks compliant
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. These are people dropping big bucks, they aren't going to mess with them, that and the ushers don't get down on that floor level I bet.

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Reseating so soon sucks. I've had two seasons with halfway decent seats that I couldn't sit in last year and that isn't particularly responsible to sit in this year. So they have my money, haven't done anything to make me feel safe, then prepare to bump me back to the benches next season when the building is already half full. First world problems and all, but not a fan.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
As far as the bolded statement.... Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it. How they gonna make that work?
That is a fair response. I am in the ballpark of saying "I'll believe that when I see it" too.

This is not directed at you, but an issue that I see on RN as Twitter is that Ed & and the Athletic Dept only care about the rich donors and won't listen to anyone else. The Todd VCU doesn't strike me as a "rich donor" and apparently he had a quality conversation with Ed about ongoing game-day issues.

I think just having a conversation with Ed, Danny O'Brien, etc can go a long way. Heck - my dad's birthday was 12/15 which was our home game vs FAU. I DM tweeted at Danny and mentioned that it was my dad's birthday. He knows who my dad is, but doesn't know him well. He dropped off a little birthday package at his seat that had some gift cards and a VCU shirt. I know it is small, but all I did was ask.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I remember walking pass hookers heading to class on VCU campus in the 80's (me heading to class, not the hookers).
Gotta pay for school somehow. Friends of mine had a house in Oregon Hill during our VCU days. Their neighbors were exotic dancers who paid tuition in cash and worked two nights a week. Obviously there's a lot of skeevyness that goes along with it, unfortunately, but it always seemed pretty smart to me.

Ah the good ole days of freezing my nuts off in a blizzard by getting in line at 9am for a major 4pm tip off then having a few save me a spot so my Rowdy friends and I who were first in line could go down to Village to take 3-5 black and golds among other drinks/shots consumed that day to come back nice and warm. Then get stared at weird as we stripped down to our jerseys because we were so toasty.

In my opinion, the most exciting things of the in game experience (in no particular order) aside from the game:
1. Papa John Shootout (when we had it)
2. The Hey song Rock and Roll Part 2
3 The its "Havoc you Fear" and "You Dont want to go to war" songs during breaks when we are rallying
4. Gold Rush routine both at Half time and in game. They are pretty darn good.

Next up were:
Honoring Vets
Honoring Alums and Kids and Community heroes
Half court shot/ Win Franks money (pick one, not both)

Everything else on court should go. You should let vendors hand stuff out at the gates after the game. Throw stuff into the crowd (shirts, burritos, rolls...). Pan the crowd for smiles and goofy dances (while the band is playing). Let vendors have some concourse space to exhibit there products/ services . Let vendors sponsor timeout GRD routines or Peppa breaks. And then VCU should do everything in there power to blow those vendors up on social media, Coach's show, print media and such to let them (and the audience) know how important they are to the program.

Bring back Lindsay Biggs .... the former Manchester High and Virginia Tech hoops star treated entire Stu attendance to free pizza after draining a half-court shot at haltime. I nominate Biggs for VCU Athletic Hall of Fame.