The Stu needs a facelift

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Now look, I'm not trashing the Stu overall. The gameday atmosphere is incredible. I'm appreciative of what we've built as a program, including the sellout streak. But to most outsiders, the arena looks small time on TV. I've heard VCU Athletics say that they're hesitant to expand the Stu. I completely understand. The national trend is more challenging to get butts in seats at sporting events. If they expand significantly, that takes away the premium that they can charge on the 7,600 seats that currently exist. All I'm asking is that we give the arena a makeover so it doesn't look like a high school cafeteria on national television. Remember when ESPN execs came to a game to see if we were a viable fit for College Gameday? And then it never happened? I don't think it's any coincidence. It straight up looks bad on TV, though that's no fault of our fans, students, and players.

So it's time we looked ourselves in the mirror and admit we can do better. What can we do to give it a sleeker and bigger look on television without breaking the bank? I know @Natty had some good ideas. To anyone who says it's not possible, I'm embedding images of mid-major arenas that seat less than the Stu and still look better on television. Included is the Robins Center. Roll your eyes all you want, but it's true that the gameday atmosphere pales in comparison to The Stu AND looks much better on television.

Fertitta Center, Houston (7,100):

McCarthey Athletic Center, Gonzaga (6,000):

Richmond, Robins Center (7,201):

The Stu (7,600):

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
What's more important, how the arena looks on TV or not having any bad seats in the house? I bet the view from a lot of those seats that look nice on TV offer an inferior view of the game for the folks in those seats.

However, I agree that the Stu could use some upgrades. I just care more about the game experience for the people paying to be there than the people watching on TV.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
What's more important, how the arena looks on TV or not having any bad seats in the house? I bet the view from a lot of those seats that look nice on TV offer an inferior view of the game for the folks in those seats.

However, I agree that the Stu could use some upgrades. I just care more about the game experience for the people paying to be there than the people watching on TV.
I don't think we have to sacrifice gameday experience at all! It could be something as minor as filling in the corners and making the concourse covered (or at least dark).

May 19, 2015
Honestly, what makes for a better TV image from the appearance of the Robin's Center and McCarthey Center? I don't see it. Houston is definitely a few steps ahead for sure! I agree with Mistachill. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the view of the game, but, if we could pull off something like Houston without doing so, sign me up!

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I don't think we have to sacrifice gameday experience at all! It could be something as minor as filling in the corners and making the concourse covered (or at least dark).
I've said this before, if we add seats we need to increase lobby space at the same time. Halftime is already tight. I think we need to enclose that outside open space by the main entrance at Harrison and Broad. Total waste of unused space.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Houston looks interesting. We cant do that build since the stu is a rectangle and Houston's is a square. Anyone else notice that Houston doesn't have a center screen?

I think the easiest way to make the stu "look" better is to put in nice roof tiles. That would require forgoing the stus current multipurpose.

Ultimately, I'm not sure it matters. We're talking about what, 30 seconds of coverage where they plan around the arena?

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
While I too believe the SC needs some upgrades and moderately increased seating, it is a gross exaggeration to describe it as having the appearance of a "High School Cafeteria on National Television." There are many, many programs including P5's that would love to have the SC and the game day experience we have. Also let's not forget about the numerous high priced improvements that have been implemented in recent years. The athletic department has not exactly been complacent.

I would also note that we could probably temper these comments when we have recruits and their families live on campus. Not a big deal but a valid point none the less.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Increasing the capacity to a limited degree has been on the drawing board for some time. I have no doubt that it will happen eventually, but there is not enough money to do everything we'd like to have done. BDC came first, all the recruiting enhancements, staff improvements, video scoreboard etc etc etc. Can't do it all at once.

Unless you want to write the check