The Stu needs a facelift

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I wasn't saying you need the suite part of Tommy West Club, just the seating. Add an upper deck with stairs to get to the seats from the main concourse similar to the JMU design
someone that is handy with photoshop should mock this up, I would be interested to see how that would look

Reactions: vcugq08
Apr 21, 2009
I don’t know about you but I remember having to get back in line at the convenience store to buy another $1 lotto ticket because I won my dollar back on the first ticket. Crazy how quickly things have changed.
haha, the year after I graduated, I got a lotto ticket to get into the game free...won 3 bucks, bought a ticket...won another 3 bucks...got another ticket...won a dollar...and on the fourth try I lost. It was ridiculous.

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Obviously, the medical campus students are going to be less engaged in athletics since they already probably have an allegiance the their undergraduate school. Plus, they probably have very little free time on their hands to attend a basketball game.
There’s still many programs on the medical campus that are undergraduate. Physical separation from the other campus can create barriers that decrease engagement with athletics.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Several people I know that live outside of Richmond and not affiliated with VCU in any way have commented about how it looks very mid-major.
On this note...

Who are the programs VCU is most compared with and how would our arena stack up against theres?

Obviously Gonzaga is the "mid-major" gold standard, so gold no one considers them a mid-major. Still, we have a larger arena than them (by like 1600 seats?) AND...just like ours, theirs has that annoying white ceiling as well. Their arena looks like crap compared to the level of program they've become. Siegel overall is probably a little better than their space.

Wichita State is right there with us, two of the most compared programs really with us both being public schools with rabid fan bases, teams wishing we were in the Big East. Their arena I believe is older, not particularly cool, BUT...is 10k seats and setup perfect for basketball with the filled in corners, etc.

We competed with Xavier as conference mates for one year before they did what we wish we could do and jumped for the Big East. Cintas Center is fine, but nothing spectacular. It's probably only slightly better than the Stu.

Butler has one of the most historic arenas in hoops and recently renovated it. Not many gyms period can compete with that combo of history now that it's got some bells and whistles too. It's basically an Cameron Indoor type of place, so tough to compare ANY gym to that, let alone ours.

Overall I think the Stu has made nice progress, even if I've had some suggestions over the years (I still hate the white ceiling and the massive amount of visible Costco-style gray warehouse walls). Still, I know VCU has really improved the building since 2011 in particular and perhaps after this massive project near the Diamond, could eventually bring more upgrades to the Stu.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
I think no one has mentioned that during the run-up to building the Stu, the City of Richmond wasn't too happy to have competition with the Coliseum. In fact I think we were to be limited in the number of games we could play there with the balance being at the Coliseum. It was fairly political and the City threatened to hold back on permits. The games at home limit never came to be but the arena size was a direct result of the City as well as other economic restraints. The Stu to my understanding is paid for. That's a big deal when it was being proposed I remember 7500 as being like wow if we could ever fill that up .....look at us now...Been a fun ride and anticipating continued success....25-5 or 5-25 I'll be there

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Did any of you go the capital centre (US Air arena)?

It was crap.
I went to the A10 tournament in DC. I do like the location but it is a dump inside.

I have not commented on this thread until now but renovation plans are in the future. I am hopeful when they do it they will work on an open concept plan. Meaning, I hope the knock down some walls near the east end Harrison entrance and on the went end so when you enter the Stu you can have a grand view of the arena and court (similar to the Barclays when you enter the arena---of course it will not be as "grand" an entrance due to size). I also would hope the north side of the Stu with the hallway and concessions will be more of an open concept so you can see the court.

Last edited:

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I think no one has mentioned that during the run-up to building the Stu, the City of Richmond wasn't too happy to have competition with the Coliseum. In fact I think we were to be limited in the number of games we could play there with the balance being at the Coliseum. It was fairly political and the City threatened to hold back on permits. The games at home limit never came to be but the arena size was a direct result of the City as well as other economic restraints. The Stu to my understanding is paid for. That's a big deal when it was being proposed I remember 7500 as being like wow if we could ever fill that up .....look at us now...Been a fun ride and anticipating continued success....25-5 or 5-25 I'll be there
This is my recollection as well. Moving games away from coliseum was a sensitive issue and "concessions" had to be made with respect to arena size and number of games played there.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
On this note...

Who are the programs VCU is most compared with and how would our arena stack up against theres?

Obviously Gonzaga is the "mid-major" gold standard, so gold no one considers them a mid-major. Still, we have a larger arena than them (by like 1600 seats?) AND...just like ours, theirs has that annoying white ceiling as well. Their arena looks like crap compared to the level of program they've become. Siegel overall is probably a little better than their space.

Wichita State is right there with us, two of the most compared programs really with us both being public schools with rabid fan bases, teams wishing we were in the Big East. Their arena I believe is older, not particularly cool, BUT...is 10k seats and setup perfect for basketball with the filled in corners, etc.

We competed with Xavier as conference mates for one year before they did what we wish we could do and jumped for the Big East. Cintas Center is fine, but nothing spectacular. It's probably only slightly better than the Stu.

Butler has one of the most historic arenas in hoops and recently renovated it. Not many gyms period can compete with that combo of history now that it's got some bells and whistles too. It's basically an Cameron Indoor type of place, so tough to compare ANY gym to that, let alone ours.

Overall I think the Stu has made nice progress, even if I've had some suggestions over the years (I still hate the white ceiling and the massive amount of visible Costco-style gray warehouse walls). Still, I know VCU has really improved the building since 2011 in particular and perhaps after this massive project near the Diamond, could eventually bring more upgrades to the Stu.
I agree with your assessment on most of this, but the one time I went to Xavier I hated it. The seats we had were steep and way up. I don't think I've ever sat in a worse seat for a BB game. Even some of the Final Fours I attended in the past in domes had better seating, and most of the time I sat in the "cheap seats".

Never have been able to make it to Butler. Trying to make it to Wichita this year for our game. Ohhh...Gonzage, would love that one. Maybe one year we will get to play there.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The Stu is 1-2 years away from being paid for. I was told no major renovations to the Stu would happen until the current note was paid off. I also have been told the current athletic administration does not want to increase the size/seating of the Stu. They like the fact that it's a tough ticket to get at it's current size/seating.

Reactions: duncanlamb

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
I went to the A10 tournament in DC. I do like the location but it is a dump inside.

I have not commented on this thread until now but renovation plans are in the future. I am hopeful when they do it they will work on an open concept plan. Meaning, I hope the knock down some walls near the east end Harrison entrance and on the went end so when you enter the Stu you can have a grand view of the arena and court (similar to the Barclays when you enter the arena---of course it will not be as "grand" an entrance due to size). I also would hope the north side of the Stu with the hallway and concessions will be more of an open concept so you can see the court.
The only problems I can see with this is that on the other side of the wall on the East End is the Aux Gym which is used as once of the hospitality areas as well as practice space for the volleyball team (when the main floor is in use) the dance team, and now with the pending destruction of the Franklin Street Gym the cheer squad. The West End houses Mechanical, HVAC, and a kitchen (I think used for both concession stands and team meals). The South and North are both load barring walls. It can be done, but would be a major undertaking...

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The only problems I can see with this is that on the other side of the wall on the East End is the Aux Gym which is used as once of the hospitality areas as well as practice space for the volleyball team (when the main floor is in use) the dance team, and now with the pending destruction of the Franklin Street Gym the cheer squad. The West End houses Mechanical, HVAC, and a kitchen (I think used for both concession stands and team meals). The South and North are both load barring walls. It can be done, but would be a major undertaking...
I was thinking more the Harrison entrance and into that hallway where the pool table and chairs are located. On the West End it would be similar. Also, not necessarily taking down the walls completely because I know that there are offices upstairs. Anyway, an open concept entrance and concourse would require an architect and engineer to study it if they would choose to look at doing it. I understand that the Stu is utilized for other activities and office space.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Several people I know that live outside of Richmond and not affiliated with VCU in any way have commented about how it looks very mid-major.
And what were the reasons that they think it looks "mid-major"? Size?

FYI, the following ACC schools seat less than 10,000 for basketball:
GT - 8,600
Clemson - 9,000
BC - 8,606
Miami - 8,000
Duke - 9,314

Other P5 arenas of note:
Northwestern - 7,039
Stanford - 7,392
TCU - 8,500

In addition, there are several AAC schools with comparable arenas to the Stu.