The Stu needs a facelift

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
And what were the reasons that they think it looks "mid-major"? Size?

FYI, the following ACC schools seat less than 10,000 for basketball:
GT - 8,600
Clemson - 9,000
BC - 8,606
Miami - 8,000
Duke - 9,314

Other P5 arenas of note:
Northwestern - 7,039
Stanford - 7,392
TCU - 8,500

In addition, there are several AAC schools with comparable arenas to the Stu.
It seats 7,600 and looks on TV like it seats 4-5k where other arenas similarly sized seat less and look like they seat 8-9k.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
I went to the A10 tournament in DC. I do like the location but it is a dump inside.

I have not commented on this thread until now but renovation plans are in the future. I am hopeful when they do it they will work on an open concept plan. Meaning, I hope the knock down some walls near the east end Harrison entrance and on the went end so when you enter the Stu you can have a grand view of the arena and court (similar to the Barclays when you enter the arena---of course it will not be as "grand" an entrance due to size). I also would hope the north side of the Stu with the hallway and concessions will be more of an open concept so you can see the court.
Maybe that is because it was imploded in 2002? (see DL post Capital vs Capital One) :lol:

Actually it is seemed ok in 2006, 2008, & 2011. Has it deteriorated since then? or modernization passed it by?

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Maybe that is because it was imploded in 2002? (see DL post Capital vs Capital One) :lol:

Actually it is seemed ok in 2006, 2008, & 2011. Has it deteriorated since then? or modernization passed it by?
Not sure how I would describe it. One thing about the tournament that irritated me was that they were not fully staffed and it just seems drab in there.

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
I was thinking more the Harrison entrance and into that hallway where the pool table and chairs are located. On the West End it would be similar. Also, not necessarily taking down the walls completely because I know that there are offices upstairs. Anyway, an open concept entrance and concourse would require an architect and engineer to study it if they would choose to look at doing it. I understand that the Stu is utilized for other activities and office space.
We just need to either kick the art kids out of the top of the Bowe Street Parking Deck and move them to Mansion and build a Volleyball/Dance/Cheer development center on top of the garage, or build one at the old NN parking lot next to Mansion (where the media parks during game day) thus opening up the Aux Gym for development of more seats or some awesome party area That wall, I believe, is not load baring.

...I think the art kids would be happy to move out of the Bowe Street deck, apparently there are some water issues up there...

...Oh, and behind the concession stand at the Harrison entrance is a rather large fire exit stairwell, there are I think 2 of 'em at each corner of The Stu...

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It seats 7,600 and looks on TV like it seats 4-5k where other arenas similarly sized seat less and look like they seat 8-9k.
It sure doesn't look that way in person. Maybe it's the camera angle and not the arena.

Cameron Indoor at Duke is a landmark and the arena itself is no better looking than the Stu. I would actually argue that it's worse. Cheap high school bleachers down low, 50 year old wooden seats above the brass railing and a press box that's nothing but a crow's nest in the ceiling that they have to use a ladder to get to. I have also been to a game in Fog Allen Fieldhouse at Kansas and the arena itself is a dungeon. It's amazing how fannies in the seats can cover up an arena's warts on TV.

Dec 2, 2012
It sure doesn't look that way in person. Maybe it's the camera angle and not the arena.

Cameron Indoor at Duke is a landmark and the arena itself is no better looking than the Stu. I would actually argue that it's worse. Cheap high school bleachers down low, 50 year old wooden seats above the brass railing and a press box that's nothing but a crow's nest in the ceiling that they have to use a ladder to get to. I have also been to a game in Fog Allen Fieldhouse at Kansas and the arena itself is a dungeon. It's amazing how fannies in the seats can cover up an arena's warts on TV.
Look, newer is not always better.
Especially when sporting venues.
Fed EX field is not "better" than RFK field in terms of what really matters: being a hostile, loud place to play that visiting teams hate to come see.
The fact that a lot of us are crammed into benches, and even those with seats are stuffed in together, is part of what makes it great.
If you look at some places, like the Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for Indiana, or the place Texas plays: they have huge comfy seats, and it never gets really crazy.
I will say that the A10 production (or ESPN's level of interest in A10 games) does make the place look Mickey Mouse, but that's an issue of production values. I don't know there is much we can do about it.
For the ACC they use more cameras and , better lights

Reactions: Ramcounter

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009

Cameron is interesting.

Went to a game there back in like 2010-11 and I LOOOOOVED it. It's a classic arena that's been outfitted with great sound/video, etc, has a great hoops atmosphere concourse/fan area and a solid little Hall of Fame area, but it's terribly uncomfortable to watch a game there (good luck being tall at a Duke game...I don't know how recruits do it). I think what ultimately makes it so great is the crowd fills every single nook and cranny of it. Place is classic though, I love it. I think that's the ultimate gold for the Siegel Center, IMO, is keep filling it in. Fill in the corners, build a level above the Marshall Street side, etc.

The Siegel Center with 2,000+ more Ram fans would be incredible (food will still suck though).

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Funny how some of our fans are so concerned about how it "looks" on TV, yet most TV commentators fall over themselves complimenting us on the atmosphere at the Stu. It looks (and sounds) exactly like what it is (and suppose to be), a great COLLEGE basketball atmosphere.

ODU has a gorgeous facility that I actually envy. But I have NEVER heard that building (live or on TV) ever sound anywhere close to the Stu at it's loudest. I would rather hear people comment on how raucous our building is than hear how impressive it looks on TV.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Look, newer is not always better.
Especially when sporting venues.
Fed EX field is not "better" than RFK field in terms of what really matters: being a hostile, loud place to play that visiting teams hate to come see.
The fact that a lot of us are crammed into benches, and even those with seats are stuffed in together, is part of what makes it great.
If you look at some places, like the Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for Indiana, or the place Texas plays: they have huge comfy seats, and it never gets really crazy.
I will say that the A10 production (or ESPN's level of interest in A10 games) does make the place look Mickey Mouse, but that's an issue of production values. I don't know there is much we can do about it.
For the ACC they use more cameras and , better lights
I think the spillover of demand effect is very undervalued. When you buy season tickets because the “good” games are hard to come by then you go to the Kenpom 330 buy game because you bought it. If the tickets for the bad games aren’t already bought then would people go?

Reactions: WestEndEd

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Funny how some of our fans are so concerned about how it "looks" on TV, yet most TV commentators fall over themselves complimenting us on the atmosphere at the Stu. It looks (and sounds) exactly like what it is (and suppose to be), a great COLLEGE basketball atmosphere.

ODU has a gorgeous facility that I actually envy. But I have NEVER heard that building (live or on TV) ever sound anywhere close to the Stu at it's loudest. I would rather hear people comment on how raucous our building is than hear how impressive it looks on TV.
Christ on a cracker. Read my original post. I think we have a great thing going, I just think we can do a little better.

95% of what I say about this program is pure cheerleading. Here and there I try to do some constructive criticism and I get attacked for it. There's a weirdly high number of people that swarm you like hornets if you say anything that's not effusive praise 100% of the time.

Anyway, I appreciate those that have come here with nuanced disagreements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramaholic

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Christ on a cracker. Read my original post. I think we have a great thing going, I just think we can do a little better.

95% of what I say about this program is pure cheerleading. Here and there I try to do some constructive criticism and I get attacked for it. There's a weirdly high number of people that swarm you like hornets if you say anything that's not effusive praise 100% of the time.

Anyway, I appreciate those that have come here with nuanced disagreements.
Why do people think disagreeing with them is "attacking" or "swarming" them? Isn't a forum about sharing opinions? If I disagree with you I'm suppose to not say anything? Tell me what was so nuanced about your opinion that the 7,600+ Stu looks like 4-5K building on TV? Don't be overly sensitive if your opinion isn't shared by 100% of the people in this forum.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Why do people think disagreeing with them is "attacking" or "swarming" them? Isn't a forum about sharing opinions? If I disagree with you I'm suppose to not say anything? Tell me what was so nuanced about your opinion that the 7,600+ Stu looks like 4-5K building on TV? Don't be overly sensitive if your opinion isn't shared by 100% of the people in this forum.
1) You disagree with everyone about everything. Nothing goes unchallenged or partially refuted. For some reason, you seem to think you’re the filter for all conversations. Rarely do you just read and absorb (and remain quiet). Memo: You are not required to opine on all topics (or any, for that matter).

2) He is right. The Stu looks small on TV. No big deal. It will likely never change without an upper deck. No one is questioning the “in-person” experience/environment/atmosphere.

Dec 2, 2012
1) You disagree with everyone about everything. Nothing goes unchallenged or partially refuted. For some reason, you seem to think you’re the filter for all conversations. Rarely do you just read and absorb (and remain quiet). Memo: You are not required to opine on all topics (or any, for that matter).

2) He is right. The Stu looks small on TV. No big deal. It will likely never change without an upper deck. No one is questioning the “in-person” experience/environment/atmosphere.
You know what would be great?
If we had some type of vlog or fan cam compilation to really share the game day experience.
The TV broadcasts totally miss out on it.