The Stu needs a facelift

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
1) You disagree with everyone about everything. Nothing goes unchallenged or partially refuted. For some reason, you seem to think you’re the filter for all conversations. Rarely do you just read and absorb (and remain quiet). Memo: You are not required to opine on all topics (or any, for that matter).

2) He is right. The Stu looks small on TV. No big deal. It will likely never change without an upper deck. No one is questioning the “in-person” experience/environment/atmosphere.
* Total hyperbole that I disagree with everyone about everything or that I respond to everything.

* I'll check the rules, but I don't think you or anyone has the right or authority to dictate to anyone else when you think they should respond to topics or the frequency of responding to a topics. Last I checked, this is a forum (def: a public meeting place for open discussion). There's also an ignore feature that works pretty effectively. If you want to address topics with limited interaction feel free to start a blog that nobody would read.

* You are certainly entitled to your opinion about how the Stu looks on TV. Newsflash, just because you say it's so doesn't make it so.

May 19, 2015
1) You disagree with everyone about everything. Nothing goes unchallenged or partially refuted. For some reason, you seem to think you’re the filter for all conversations. Rarely do you just read and absorb (and remain quiet). Memo: You are not required to opine on all topics (or any, for that matter).

2) He is right. The Stu looks small on TV. No big deal. It will likely never change without an upper deck. No one is questioning the “in-person” experience/environment/atmosphere.
BULLSHOOT. I think you are talking about yourself.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Funny how some of our fans are so concerned about how it "looks" on TV, yet most TV commentators fall over themselves complimenting us on the atmosphere at the Stu. It looks (and sounds) exactly like what it is (and suppose to be), a great COLLEGE basketball atmosphere.

ODU has a gorgeous facility that I actually envy. But I have NEVER heard that building (live or on TV) ever sound anywhere close to the Stu at it's loudest. I would rather hear people comment on how raucous our building is than hear how impressive it looks on TV.
And, for the record, any second level added to the Marshall Street side will rarely, if at all, be seen on TV. It would be behind the cameras. Not sure filling in the corners would make it look bigger on TV either.

Kind of conflicting that someone would say it looks like a 4-5k mid-major arena on TV while the announcers are singing nothing but praises about the Stu and the big time atmosphere. There is NOTHING mid-major about VCU's game day crowd and atmosphere, whether it be in person or on TV.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Ramwitch

Top Member
Dec 2, 2014
And, for the record, any second level added to the Marshall Street side will rarely, if at all, be seen on TV. It would be behind the cameras. Not sure filling in the corners would make it look bigger on TV either.

Kind of conflicting that someone would say it looks like a 4-5k mid-major arena on TV while the announcers are singing nothing but praises about the Stu and the big time atmosphere. There is NOTHING mid-major about VCU's game day crowd and atmosphere, whether it be in person or on TV.
Took my dad, a Maryland fan, to a game at the Stu a few years ago. He said it looks a lot better in person than on tv. It was a bad game to take him to though. It was when Georgia Tech was visiting. A lot of empty seats. He was wondering if we were going to fill up. We were the only ones sitting in our row that game

Feb 14, 2011
I pretty much agree with the OP that it would be nice to have a fancy facility. However it's kind of funny how many sports fans care so much about what other's think or how other perceive their programs. Heck we could have a Mason, ODU, Ticks type arena but I wouldn't trade anything to have the quality of what's on the court. I think I may have seen one or two STU games on TV and other than it being a little dark, I kind of like the old school grass roots "Gymnasium" look similar to Cameron or Hinkle. I like the fact that some of our competitors call the Stu the Costco because they can't really debate the quality on the court.

Now replace the seats with some with padding and a little more than 16" wide and I would be a happy camper.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I pretty much agree with the OP that it would be nice to have a fancy facility. However it's kind of funny how many sports fans care so much about what other's think or how other perceive their programs. Heck we could have a Mason, ODU, Ticks type arena but I wouldn't trade anything to have the quality of what's on the court. I think I may have seen one or two STU games on TV and other than it being a little dark, I kind of like the old school grass roots "Gymnasium" look similar to Cameron or Hinkle. I like the fact that some of our competitors call the Stu the Costco because they can't really debate the quality on the court.

Now replace the seats with some with padding and a little more than 16" wide and I would be a happy camper.
If VCU has a Mason type arena, then we are going in the wrong direction. Eagle Bank Arena is nothing more than cheap lipstick on a pig.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009

What a terrible comment. Defensive. Argumentative.

Please take @Mistachill's advice (which was actually directed at a different person).

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Actually, almost all of how the Stu looks both in person and on TV could be greatly improved with lighting and paint

Reactions: Celticguy