The Stu needs a facelift

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Actually, almost all of how the Stu looks both in person and on TV could be greatly improved with lighting and paint
The lighting system is fairly new. Pretty sure it was installed within the last 5 years. Actually, the Stu has some of the best lighting of any arena on the east coast.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
The lighting system is fairly new. Pretty sure it was installed within the last 5 years. Actually, the Stu has some of the best lighting of any arena on the east coast.
It does have some of the best "court lighting" but other areas could use light adsorbing colors and materials. Adding in some colored LEDs or temperature appropriate lightning in other areas would do wonders.

Another pet peeve of mine is that we shoot directly at the LED board at the scores table instead of from the same side. Certain light frequencies of those lights do not play nice with cameras and tend to distract on TV

Reactions: Celticguy

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
It does have some of the best "court lighting" but other areas could use light adsorbing colors and materials. Adding in some colored LEDs or temperature appropriate lightning in other areas would do wonders.

Another pet peeve of mine is that we shoot directly at the LED board at the scores table instead of from the same side. Certain light frequencies of those lights do not play nice with cameras and tend to distract on TV
Both sides -- scorers table and press row -- are LED.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Both sides -- scorers table and press row -- are LED.
The LED boards look super nice in person and as both sides are LED now, my only suggestion would be testing the various displays(Graphics) its not all just some that conflict with the Frame rate and shutter speed of the cameras

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
View attachment 7477

Enough of this shiz. Having attended home games at both the FSG gyms, the Ashe Center, the Coliseum and the Robins Center, I can unequivocally say that the Stu beats all the aforementioned, hands down. My only complaint, aisle walkers.
Just like little kids, people want what other people have. Also this obsession some have with the white walls is baffling.

Feb 14, 2011
My kid who has attended many VCU games at the Stu played an AAU tournament right after the new court lighting was installed and actually commented how nice it was to play on an evenly lit court with the surrounding sidelines being dark.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I also have been told the current athletic administration does not want to increase the size/seating of the Stu. They like the fact that it's a tough ticket to get at it's current size/seating.
I like this too. RFK stadium was a small size by NFL standards and had a waiting list spanning 30 years. When the fans got up to cheer, it felt like the place was going to tumble down.

But the skins won alot of games due to that atmosphere!

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I like this too. RFK stadium was a small size by NFL standards and had a waiting list spanning 30 years. When the fans got up to cheer, it felt like the place was going to tumble down.

But the skins won alot of games due to that atmosphere!
Speaking of the Skins, state employees got an email this week about some ticket promotion to attend a game at FedEx Field next month. So they went from a waiting list for tickets to UR-like promotions to get more bodies to their games? Way to go D. Snyder.

Unless...they are laying the groundwork to get Virginia to build them a new stadium in Northern Virginia?

Reactions: duncanlamb

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Speaking of the Skins, state employees got an email this week about some ticket promotion to attend a game at FedEx Field next month. So they went from a waiting list for tickets to UR-like promotions to get more bodies to their games? Way to go D. Snyder.

Unless...they are laying the groundwork to get Virginia to build them a new stadium in Northern Virginia?
I thought it was going where RFK was?