The Stu needs a facelift

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
In the proverbial words of my 13 year old son.... Wait, what? Their current stadium is on 22 years old and they are wanting to build a new one?
Little Danny Snyder is having stadium envy because the big man on campus (Jerry Jones) has the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums. Not to mention, FedEx Field is usually ranked at the bottom of NFL stadiums in terms of fan experience.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
In the proverbial words of my 13 year old son.... Wait, what? Their current stadium is on 22 years old and they are wanting to build a new one?
Stadiums don’t have a long shelf life. Look at Atlanta, Arlington/Dallas, Minneapolis, and so on for how quickly cities replace stadiums.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Little Danny Snyder is having stadium envy because the big man on campus (Jerry Jones) has the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums. Not to mention, FedEx Field is usually ranked at the bottom of NFL stadiums in terms of fan experience.
My fear is they will repeat the mistakes with FedEx just to get something built. I am wondering if an outdoor stadium near Dulles won’t have the same complaints that fans have with FedEx. Why a retractable roof with easy access from DC via the metro is not a requirement is beyond me.

Reactions: mrgeode and SWV

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
My fear is they will repeat the mistakes with FedEx just to get something built. I am wondering if an outdoor stadium near Dulles won’t have the same complaints that fans have with FedEx. Why a retractable roof with easy access from DC via the metro is not a requirement is beyond me.
They have already said this next stadium will be a retractable roof and probably every stadium ever to be built will also. Dulles area is out of the question.
Arlington baseball stadium is being torn down now and opened after Camden Yards. I think you will see all stadiums go to heat and cool except the old hold outs, Chicago, Boston, etc.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
They have already said this next stadium will be a retractable roof and probably every stadium ever to be built will also. Dulles area is out of the question.
Arlington baseball stadium is being torn down now and opened after Camden Yards. I think you will see all stadiums go to heat and cool except the old hold outs, Chicago, Boston, etc.
Do you have a link for the retractable roof and location angle? Last I heard it was a looking to be a “retro” design with a possible moat for some reason. That was some time ago so I am hopeful the design has changed.

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Do you have a link for the retractable roof and location angle? Last I heard it was a looking to be a “retro” design with a possible moat for some reason. That was some time ago so I am hopeful the design has changed.
Yeah, this thing? Lol

Reactions: Ramcounter

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
And they claim all of that will be situated in metro dc? Where?
Apparently near Dulles Airport or the old RFK site. From my basic understanding the RFK site has a lot of moving parts politically.
Can you imagine the reaction of fans realizing they have to cross a moat to get to the stadium after battling rush hour traffic for a Monday night game?
It’s believed that the team is focused on two potential sites: a Virginia site near Dulles Airport, and the RFK Stadium site in Washington, D.C.

Last edited:

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
That parking situation is way above my head.
I want to see the other end, how they get cars in and out.
The article mentioned a raised green field over the parking (whatever that means) so tailgating with grills etc going on in a covered area? But hey there will be concessions in the parking lots so yay, no need to byofood:)

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Stadiums don’t have a long shelf life. Look at Atlanta, Arlington/Dallas, Minneapolis, and so on for how quickly cities replace stadiums.
Not sure why you include Minneapolis in that list. The Hubert Humphrey Metrodome opened in 1982. It was 30 years old when they tore it down.