The Stu needs a facelift

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Not sure why you include Minneapolis in that list. The Hubert Humphrey Metrodome opened in 1982. It was 30 years old when they tore it down.
Yeah, that's true. But at the same time I remember the primary reason for replacing it had more to do with the number of luxury suites versus the condition of the facility. Heck, Camden Yards is now 27 years old but you don't hear any talk of replacing it.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, that's true. But at the same time I remember the primary reason for replacing it had more to do with the number of luxury suites versus the condition of the facility. Heck, Camden Yards is now 27 years old but you don't hear any talk of replacing it.
Camden Yards is also a baseball only facility. At one point, the Hubert Humphrey Metrodome had 3 tenants. The Twins, Vikings and Minnesota Gophers in both football and baseball. And that doesn't include concerts and NCAA Final Fours. The Metrodome was pretty much constantly in use for all of those 30 years and there was nothing lavish about the building. It was basically a no frills domed arena that served it's purpose in the frozen upper Midwest.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Not sure why you include Minneapolis in that list. The Hubert Humphrey Metrodome opened in 1982. It was 30 years old when they tore it down.
I included it because by the time the financing gets finalized, location gets selected, construction is completed, and so on is 30 years that far off from the estimated age of FedEx when it gets replaced?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I included it because by the time the financing gets finalized, location gets selected, construction is completed, and so on is 30 years that far off from the estimated age of FedEx when it gets replaced?
FedEx Field opened in 1997, 15 years after the Hubert Humphrey Metrodome opened.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Camden Yards is also a baseball only facility. At one point, the Hubert Humphrey Metrodome had 3 tenants. The Twins, Vikings and Minnesota Gophers in both football and baseball. And that doesn't include concerts and NCAA Final Fours. The Metrodome was pretty much constantly in use for all of those 30 years and there was nothing lavish about the building. It was basically a no frills domed arena that served it's purpose in the frozen upper Midwest.
I think most would agree the Metrodome was always a horrible facility for baseball except it offered protection from harsh weather early and late in the season. So the Twins always needed their own stadium. It was still very viable for football, concerts, final fours etc. in spite of its age. Like I said earlier, I remember the big issue being the Viking's owner complaining about not having enough luxury suites.

Not all 30 year old facilities need to be replaced if they're well maintained. But I agree that it seems like 20-30 years is the new accepted lifespan for stadiums, but it probably has more to do with money generating amenities than the functionality of the building. Seems like in Atlanta they go through stadiums pretty quickly.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I think most would agree the Metrodome was always a horrible facility for baseball except it offered protection from harsh weather early and late in the season. So the Twins always needed their own stadium. It was still very viable for football, concerts, final fours etc. in spite of its age. Like I said earlier, I remember the big issue being the Viking's owner complaining about not having enough luxury suites.

Not all 30 year old facilities need to be replaced if they're well maintained. But I agree that it seems like 20-30 years is the new accepted lifespan for stadiums, but it probably has more to do with money generating amenities than the functionality of the building. Seems like in Atlanta they go through stadiums pretty quickly.
Kind of ironic that posters in this thread think FedEx field does not need replacing, yet this thread is all about recommended "face lifts" to the Stu, which is "only" 20 years old.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Kind of ironic that posters in this thread think FedEx field does not need replacing, yet this thread is all about recommended "face lifts" to the Stu, which is "only" 20 years old.
Gotta make it look more impressive on TV. Apparently it's vital to our program's survival! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfpack Ram