The VCU Rams 2022-23 Season Thread

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Dude has crackhead energy lol.
Not really. Mike Rhoades isn’t going anywhere any time soon but if he ever did…Pat Kelsey is an exceptional coach who honestly should have had a P5 job by now. He did amazing things at Winthrop with four Big South regular season titles and three NCAA tournament bids in 5 years (including one that COVID erased).

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Watching OSU vs Michigan on TV. There are over 100,000 spectators in person, probably over 90,000 of whom could blow .08 on a breathalyzer.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Not really. Mike Rhoades isn’t going anywhere any time soon but if he ever did…Pat Kelsey is an exceptional coach who honestly should have had a P5 job by now. He did amazing things at Winthrop with four Big South regular season titles and three NCAA tournament bids in 5 years (including one that COVID erased).

Kelsey also had a huge brain fart 5 minutes before the press conference to introduce him as the UMass basketball coach a few years back.

interested in some takes on when does a coach need to start restricting players from shooting 3s
right now through 6 games their are 3 players that have real poor shooting %s (albeit I like to see 10 games as a better barometer)

Zeb Jackson is 4 for 21 or 19%
Brandon Johns is 2 for 11 or 18%
Dave Shriver is 10 for 39 or 29%

to me Shriver's role is solely to shoot from deep and while he is on a recent cold streak I think he should retain the green light
Zeb and Brandon should be getting a flashing yellow from MR and only allowed to take wide open 3s during first 30 minutes of game

HBK

Elite Member
interested in some takes on when does a coach need to start restricting players from shooting 3s
right now through 6 games their are 3 players that have real poor shooting %s (albeit I like to see 10 games as a better barometer)

to me Shriver's role is solely to shoot from deep and while he is on a recent cold streak I think he should retain the green light
Zeb and Brandon should be getting a flashing yellow from MR and only allowed to take wide open 3s during first 30 minutes of game
That kind of goes to a criticism I have of the coaching staff: too much freedom allowed on the offensive end. Mike wants the guys to play with lots of freedom, but we might be better served with a bit less freedom. Then again, I’m not the coach, and I don’t see practice every day.

I think each of those guys can make threes with consistency, though there is something about Zeb’s jumper that gives me pause. It doesn’t look smooth all the time. As for Johns And Shriver, both are very capable shooters. Their problem is they both force it too often and don’t get the shots in the flow of the offense. Memphis showed how you play Shriver: get physical with him the moment he steps on the court. He forced a few at Memphis and I thought rushed a couple last night. There was an attempt by Shriver in the second half last night which we knew wasn’t going in the moment he rose to take it, before it even left his hand. Frankly, it wasn’t close. His feet weren’t set and he wasn’t balanced, but he was open and rushed it. It’s up to the PGs and others to get him the ball when he is open. Without Ace that has proven to be difficult.

We are such a better offense playing inside out and getting paint touches. That doesn’t necessarily mean only throwing it to a big in the post. It also can be a drive and kick. We did both much better last night in the 2nd half.

Ramdog

Elite Member

Disagree

shriver is a bit of a one trick pony…he should shoot less because he is on the bench more

Jackson and Johns need to shoot the three to open up other parts of their game. But they need to be good looks

CarNer0

Elite Member

IMO if any one of these dudes gets a good look in rhythm, take the shot (though I'm ok with Johns not taking them unless they're wide open). Our offense has a hard enough time, if opposing teams don't have to close out then it gets even more difficult to get to the basket. Shriver has hit some timely shots for us regardless of his current %, and that's his entire game lol.

It's super frustrating that we started the game with hope on the offense / shooting front and we stalled this quickly. I guess I will reserve judgement until Ace gets back and hopefully find some better looks

urmite

Elite Member

The 3 that I think should never be allowed to shoot threes is:
Baldwin, Watkins, and Banks…

But maybe I have a different goal?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Disagree

shriver is a bit of a one trick pony…he should shoot less because he is on the bench more

Jackson and Johns need to shoot the three to open up other parts of their game. But they need to be good looks

Shriver is turning out to not the the three point assassin he was billed to be. I guess there's a reason he started his collegiate playing career at Hartford. ;):roll::roll:

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Shriver is turning out to not the the three point assassin he was billed to be. I guess there's a reason he started his collegiate playing career at Hartford. ;):roll::roll:
He actually didn’t start his collegiate playing career at Hartford, he played one season in 2021-2022 there. He played his first 3 years of collegiate basketball at Anderson Broaddus University which is a Division II school.