Players The Vince Williams Thread

rampart

Elite Member
I think VCU has had three 2nd rounders. CD and Sheron Mills didnt make it. Jesse Dark played a season with Buffalo (now LA Clips). Marc Jackson played here 1 year and played 7 years. 1 3rd rounder made it (Henderson). 2 4th rounders made it.

The 2nd round is a crap shoot. You dont have to be a genius to know the 2nd round does not offer much. I have to agree with Heel in that the 2nd round should either be eliminated or it should have some guarantees. Even if the guarantees are only a 2 way K for a couple of years.

My point is if you lock he guy up, why not give them something. You have interested? Prove it by giving the guy money and a promise to work with him and give him a chance.

If not let him and his agent find the best opportunity for him. In todays NBA not being tied to one team has worked for Tre, Bri, Troy, The agent's have to work and choosing the right one makes a difference.
not disagreeing with your point, but Bodine (Dark) was with the Knicks. Nard (Harris) was drafted in the fourth round by Buffalo.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member

Premium content. FYI, they predict all 58 picks and Vince ain’t one of them. :(
Somebody needs to fire up the PR machine or else they gonna make the same mistake they did last year with Bones.
It wouldn't be the first time that ESPN has been wrong. Hope the teams he is working out for like him more than the writers.

rammad90

Elite Member
If you can do it on the court, who cares?
Team executives. Owners. Teammates. Just to name a few. Vince is not a sure fire, cant miss prospect. When you arent that, everything you bring on and off the court matters.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
Team executives. Owners. Teammates. Just to name a few. Vince is not a sure fire, cant miss prospect. When you arent that, everything you bring on and off the court matters.
This is simply not true. Actions speak louder than words. They could care less if he’s laid back/reserved. It’s not like he’s a lottery pick they’re going to put in front of the media all the time. IF he even makes it, he’ll be a bench guy. Not everybody has to have the same demeanor to succeed in the NBA.

Vince is plenty confident and let’s his game do the talking. That’s all he needs. This draconian philosophy that everybody must fit a certain personality is dated and irrelevant.

rammad90

Elite Member
Of course not, the point is that interview skills aren’t what the scouts look for.
Yes they do. They look at a variety of things off the court. Dee Brown former Ilini once told me his agent specifically told him to be super excited, and always clapping and supporting his teammates. Something that was foreign to him as a guy who had always been the focal point of his teams.

rammad90

Elite Member
This is simply not true. Actions speak louder than words. They could care less if he’s laid back/reserved. It’s not like he’s a lottery pick they’re going to put in front of the media all the time. IF he even makes it, he’ll be a bench guy. Not everybody has to have the same demeanor to succeed in the NBA.

Vince is plenty confident and let’s his game do the talking. That’s all he needs. This draconian philosophy that everybody must fit a certain personality is dated and irrelevant.
You gotta be kidding me. I agree actions speak louder than words when you are an elite talent. However, when you are a guy trying to hang on and make a team, everything you do is scrutinized.

I never stated everyone had to be the same demeanor, you did. If you read scouting reports one con on Vince is the he is selfish to a fault and will sometime get lost in the game. Meaning lo darn nice and laid back on the court.

I am all in for the guy. However, if I think if he could pick it up a bit he'd stand a better chance. I know we like to believe that life is a meritocracy but the sad truth is it isnt. Intangibles make a difference.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
You gotta be kidding me. I agree actions speak louder than words when you are an elite talent. However, when you are a guy trying to hang on and make a team, everything you do is scrutinized.

I never stated everyone had to be the same demeanor, you did. If you read scouting reports one con on Vince is the he is selfish to a fault and will sometime get lost in the game. Meaning lo darn nice and laid back on the court.

I am all in for the guy. However, if I think if he could pick it up a bit he'd stand a better chance. I know we like to believe that life is a meritocracy but the sad truth is it isnt. Intangibles make a difference.
Of course intangibles make a difference. I never said they didn’t. The specific one you’re talking about doesn’t. Vince is a really smart basketball player and a hard worker. Did he make some immature/selfish mistakes on the court during his VCU career? Yes, of course he did. He’s still young and by all accounts very coachable though.

All of that said, him being laid back or awkward in front of a camera doesn’t matter. They have entire PR staffs to address young players interacting with the media. You’re overthinking this aspect. This is sports, not a desk job on the phone with the general public. Completely different culture and set of rules.

If you listened to Vince during his interviews while at VCU, he’s actually pretty charismatic once you get him talking. He’s probably just nervous getting asked the same questions every prospect gets asked on camera after an NBA workout. As you’ve said, everything is scrutinized.

Williams' departure demonstrates, once again, how deep the VCU program has become. If hooked up to a poly, I doubt many Rams' fans think the overall won-lost record in 22-23 will be any lower than it would have been with another season with Williams and Curry. Same a year ago with loss of Hyland. Even following the triumphant '11 season, the record in '12 was 29-7, despite absence of Rodriguez, Skeen, Rozzell and Nixon. Only the bluest of the blue-blood programs can compare to this. There are numerous reasons why.