Players The Vince Williams Thread

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Williams' departure demonstrates, once again, how deep the VCU program has become. If hooked up to a poly, I doubt many Rams' fans think the overall won-lost record in 22-23 will be any lower than it would have been with another season with Williams and Curry. Same a year ago with loss of Hyland. Even following the triumphant '11 season, the record in '12 was 29-7, despite absence of Rodriguez, Skeen, Rozzell and Nixon. Only the bluest of the blue-blood programs can compare to this. There are numerous reasons why.
We must have been reading each other's minds, I was think this same thing earlier this morning. Here we are two years in a row possibly losing guys to the NBA draft. And our talent level this coming year is probably going to be better than it was last year (time will tell with some of the new players, but I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation right now). Seems to me this shows the health of our program, at least on the court.

We must have been reading each other's minds, I was think this same thing earlier this morning. Here we are two years in a row possibly losing guys to the NBA draft. And our talent level this coming year is probably going to be better than it was last year (time will tell with some of the new players, but I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation right now). Seems to me this shows the health of our program, at least on the court.

I suggested there were "numerous reasons why." Here's one: let's say there are five tiers of D-1 college basketball. I contend VCU is at the extreme highest altitude of Tier 2 ... you always prefer being at the top of one division instead of near the bottom of a higher division .... if the Rams played in a power conference, you'd see the overall results regarding W-L percentage and NCAA bids would likely decline. VCU in the A-10 trumps the likes of Boston College in Tier 1 ACC, Penn State in Big 10, Mizzou in SEC, etc. VCU's scheduling pattern assures on-going success on the floor, which translate to attracting recruits and fans. That's one reason.

Vince has much going for him .... but here's what he has going against him: he's a senior; watch and see, I'm saying no more than one senior is selected in Round One and no more than five total out of 58 picks. It's almost like "seniors need not apply." If Williams had spent another season at VCU, his chances would be even lower. Wish it wasn't that way.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Being a senior might hurt some in being drafted, but it’s not the reason he won’t be drafted and it won’t affect his ability to make a team a an undrafted free agent.

There are always exceptions to the "seniors need not apply" rule .... Today's Times-Dispatch story practically turned Vince into a lottery pick (I'm glad someone else wrote that story instead of me) .... realistically, I see the former Ram quickly signing for the NBA Summer League and, depending on his performance, either hook up in G-League or seek a foreign adventure. All good options. Vince turns 22 in August.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Today's Times-Dispatch story practically turned Vince into a lottery pick (I'm glad someone else wrote that story instead of me) ...
I read the article and I did not think Wayne did that at all. It was a fair and informative story in my opinion.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
I read the article and I did not think Wayne did that at all. It was a fair and informative story in my opinion.
It was a good read, as always with the articles written by Wayne. The only inaccurate part was that he missed Eric & Larry being the last two VCU players drafted in consecutive years. That’s very unlike Wayne, and I suspect his youth might’ve led to him not knowing that.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Vince has much going for him .... but here's what he has going against him: he's a senior; watch and see, I'm saying no more than one senior is selected in Round One and no more than five total out of 58 picks. It's almost like "seniors need not apply." If Williams had spent another season at VCU, his chances would be even lower. Wish it wasn't that way.
He is only 21, so not in as tough a spot as the typical 23 year old senior. Still, 22 is often seen as the magic number—so agree another year would not have helped and likely would have hurt.

It was a good read, as always with the articles written by Wayne. The only inaccurate part was that he missed Eric & Larry being the last two VCU players drafted in consecutive years. That’s very unlike Wayne, and I suspect his youth might’ve led to him not knowing that.

Then there was '85 when three Rams (Duncan 30th, Lamb 53rd, Schlegel 96th) heard their names called in the same draft. And way back in '74, two Rams (Dark 32nd, Harris 63rd) were drafted, an amazing fact when considering VCU was still only transitional Division I, with no TV exposure, no conference alignment, no post-season and nothing in the way of tradition to draw from.