Players The Vince Williams Thread

Williams will be one of four drafted rookies playing for The Griz in the upcoming Vegas Summer League. With help of trades, the others are Jake LaRavia (19th out of Wake), David Roddy (23rd out of Colorado State) and Kennedy Chandler (38th out of Tennessee.) The Grizzlies G-League affiliate is the Memphis Hustle in nearby Mississippi.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
It’s interesting that Danny Green was traded to the Grizzlies. I’ve made some comparisons between the two in the past and now they’re on the same team. Green was the 46th pick in the 2009 draft. Vince was the 47th pick in this year’s draft. Vince can learn a lot from Green, though I don’t know how much Danny will play or if he’ll decide to retire after tearing his ACL in the playoffs. I hope he sticks around and that he can give Vince some advice on what could be a couple years spent mostly in the G League developing.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The biggest issue for Vince is that LaRavia and Roddy play the same position as him and are of similar size to him. And since they were both first round draft picks, they both will have guaranteed contracts for a minimum of 2 years. Since they’re going to have to pay those 2 guys for at least 2 years, they’re both likely to have the upper hand over Vince at spending time in Memphis instead of in the G League. This is where being locked in to one team because of that second round pick can potentially come back to bite a player.

rammad90

Elite Member
It’s interesting that Danny Green was traded to the Grizzlies. I’ve made some comparisons between the two in the past and now they’re on the same team. Green was the 46th pick in the 2009 draft. Vince was the 47th pick in this year’s draft. Vince can learn a lot from Green, though I don’t know how much Danny will play or if he’ll decide to retire after tearing his ACL in the playoffs. I hope he sticks around and that he can give Vince some advice on what could be a couple years spent mostly in the G League developing.
Vince can learn a lot from Danny Green. #1 determination. Danny had to work hard to earn a roster spot. When he did it was lights out. If Vince learns anything it would be that.

I also wouldnt be surprised if Danny retired either. However, he is guarenteed about 7 mil for next year. He also, might do the IR thing and hang around to get his last payday or get a buy out. The Grizz might want buy out as DG is a 10 million cap hit.

In the alternative, I have heard that the Grizz wanted a lower cost vet swing man that could play D. Who knows. I love Danny Green as stated, I have talked with his Dad quite a few times. However, Vince is our guy, I think Danny Blocks Vince's path to a roster spot. As you state Heel, there are comparisons.

If you look at the other two first rounders, Vince can play D better than both, and IMO is better all around. He can beat one or both of them out.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Vince can learn a lot from Danny Green. #1 determination. Danny had to work hard to earn a roster spot. When he did it was lights out. If Vince learns anything it would be that.

I also wouldnt be surprised if Danny retired either. However, he is guarenteed about 7 mil for next year. He also, might do the IR thing and hang around to get his last payday or get a buy out. The Grizz might want buy out as DG is a 10 million cap hit.

In the alternative, I have heard that the Grizz wanted a lower cost vet swing man that could play D. Who knows. I love Danny Green as stated, I have talked with his Dad quite a few times. However, Vince is our guy, I think Danny Blocks Vince's path to a roster spot. As you state Heel, there are comparisons.

If you look at the other two first rounders, Vince can play D better than both, and IMO is better all around. He can beat one or both of them out.
He’ll have to clearly beat them out. The Grizzlies will have about $9 million invested in LaRavia and Roddy over the next 2 years with options on them for year 3. And they’re 2 guys that were drafted higher than Bones was. They aren’t slouches. And I think they both had higher 3 point percentages last year than Vince did and that Bones did as a sophomore (too lazy to look up right now).

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
He’ll have to clearly beat them out. The Grizzlies will have about $9 million invested in LaRavia and Roddy over the next 2 years with options on them for year 3. And they’re 2 guys that were drafted higher than Bones was. They aren’t slouches. And I think they both had higher 3 point percentages last year than Vince did and that Bones did as a sophomore (too lazy to look up right now).
Roddy made 1.5 3s per game on 3.4 attempts (43.8%)

LaRavia made 0.8 3s per game on 2.2 attempts (38.4%)

Vince made 2.2 3s per game on 5.6 attempts (38.7%). Last season he made 1.7 on 4.0 attempts (41.3%).

Vince is also the best of the three at the line with an 81% average. LaRavia is at about 77%, so not a big difference. Roddy hit 69% last year, 73% his freshman year, and 78% his sophomore year, so he's probably about a 75% free throw shooter right now. Both averaged about 4.5 free throws a game vs Vince's 3.5, though.

Fwiw, Bones hit 2.9 3s per game on 7.8 attempts for a 37.1% hit rate, and was at 86% from the line.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
Roddy made 1.5 3s per game on 3.4 attempts (43.8%)

LaRavia made 0.8 3s per game on 2.2 attempts (38.4%)

Vince made 2.2 3s per game on 5.6 attempts (38.7%). Last season he made 1.7 on 4.0 attempts (41.3%).

Vince is also the best of the three at the line with an 81% average. LaRavia is at about 77%, so not a big difference. Roddy hit 69% last year, 73% his freshman year, and 78% his sophomore year, so he's probably about a 75% free throw shooter right now. Both averaged about 4.5 free throws a game vs Vince's 3.5, though.

Fwiw, Bones hit 2.9 3s per game on 7.8 attempts for a 37.1% hit rate, and was at 86% from the line.
Heel is correct both those guys have the upper hand on Vince. However, they could be traded (not likely). Vince will simply have to outwork them. The real tell will be how much guaranteed money Vince is offered. Isiah Todd got 4 years with about 7 guaranteed.

In the words of Joey. "We'll see"

rammed

Elite Member
He's a husky fellow....

I think The Gravy Boat is an apt nickname

also, Colorado St plays in Moby Arena....I feel like there's something useful there.
Roddy is a beast, but I was shocked that he got drafted at all. It will be interesting to see if he translates at the NBA level. I’ve been to the CSU arena. It is butt ugly inside.