Players The Vince Williams Thread

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I have been following the Grizz summer league news and the games. The media and coaches love to throw the 3 & D label onto Vince. To me that means play D and set up for a 3. If that is the label they have put on him they might want to reevaluate. Vince is better when he is moving and gets touches in the offense.
He's one of the few Grizz that PASS the ball, attempt assists. They've got a ball movement issue.

rammad90

Elite Member
He's one of the few Grizz that PASS the ball, attempt assists. They've got a ball movement issue.
Its Summer League. Its guard ball handler centric and most guys know the sizzle is scoring the ball.

Things will change for Vince in the regular season. Yeah he can make the big club but G league to start and then call up for practices may be best for him and his development.

Vince is a mellow guy and those types just need time. We all know the talent is there but the aggression might take time. Whether its the Grizz or some other team. I like his chances.

Fwiw, Laravia (sp) the first rounder seems to be from the same mold as Vince. Both have game but this isnt the forum for them to shine.

NBA game in general has a ball movement issue - most teams are simply pick n roll
most ball movements occur when the ball is on the perimeter and the defense is scrambling or on fast breaks
or the rare case where a team is led by a pass first point guard with skills like a Stockton (though he played a lot of pick n roll with Malone) you will see more teammates move because great point guards find ways to get the ball to open cutters etc.

but no doubt Vince doesn't shine in an environment like that at this stage - development in the G league will help

go vince

VCU Heel

Elite Member
NBA game in general has a ball movement issue - most teams are simply pick n roll
most ball movements occur when the ball is on the perimeter and the defense is scrambling or on fast breaks
or the rare case where a team is led by a pass first point guard with skills like a Stockton (though he played a lot of pick n roll with Malone) you will see more teammates move because great point guards find ways to get the ball to open cutters etc.

but no doubt Vince doesn't shine in an environment like that at this stage - development in the G league will help

go vince
The NBA plays the best offense in the world. There aren’t ball motion issues. The just play a different style of offense that most can’t.

Last edited:
The NBA plays the best offense in the word. There aren’t ball motion issues. The just play a different style of offense that most can’t.
no debating they play the best offense - they are the best players in the world
but the NBA game has devolved into a pick n roll game for the most part and spread the court with guys that can drain the ball from deep

lots of reasons for that IMO, great defenders (when they want to play like playoffs) , great shooters from deep, large bodies on the court that cannot play in a compressed area, teams that scout their opponents so well that standard plays are usually blown up while the shot clock winds down

game preparation today is so much better than ever before with the scores of pro coaches and assistants that are breaking down film of who each player will guard and their plays, tendencies and so on

MR does an excellent job of game preparation and taking away our opponents best players and Plays and forcing a lot or two on two and one on one from our opponents

i harken back to the years of the knicks and there hey day and guys like Bradley or DeBuchshere (sp) coming off picks etc - now we see Donavan Mitchell coming off high pick n rolls by Rudy Goebert as emblematic of todays game

but no doubt the athletes on the court are the worlds best that are faster, stronger, more skilled and more fit on average than those guys in 50s to 80s

go rams

KentuckyRam

Insider
I have been following the Grizz summer league news and the games. The media and coaches love to throw the 3 & D label onto Vince. To me that means play D and set up for a 3. If that is the label they have put on him they might want to reevaluate. Vince is better when he is moving and gets touches in the offense.
And the team is better.

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider

go vince
Most NBA teams don't run as much traditional action as a college team would -- there's a lot more simple pick-and-roll and isolation play -- it's just that the NBA guys are so skilled. They make everything.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Most NBA teams don't run as much traditional action as a college team would -- there's a lot more simple pick-and-roll and isolation play -- it's just that the NBA guys are so skilled. They make everything.
JJ Reddick spent a few minutes on the broadcast last night (C’s- Bucks I think) addressing how difficult it is for even the best college players to adapt to the NBA half court offense, outside of the true athletic specimens. He said the number of reads that players are expected to make in half court sets during a typical game is more than they would have to make in an entire college season. It was pretty fascinating.

love Vince's activity today - more dribbling toward bucket and trying to get to rim or dishing

thru 3 quarters he has 5 assists and has played 18 minutes -

shooting wise, not much so far 1-6 and the fg was from deep

go vince

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Vince got a 2 way contract, so he got $502k guaranteed for the year.
I know some look at that and say "just 502k?"

Even now, I would have loved to been offered an entry level job starting at 502k. He's earning more bank than the president!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I know some look at that and say "just 502k?"

Even now, I would have loved to been offered an entry level job starting at 502k. He's earning more bank than the president!
$502k for one year isn’t going to set him up for life, but it’s a really good salary for a guy in his early 20s right after getting a bachelor’s degree. Hopefully, it’s a small taste for him with more to come.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
$502k for one year isn’t going to set him up for life, but it’s a really good salary for a guy in his early 20s right after getting a bachelor’s degree. Hopefully, it’s a small taste for him with more to come.
No, but that much + for even 4 or 5 years will if he manages things well.