Players The Vince Williams Thread

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Send Chris Paul an email.
Before being the head of the NBAPA, Chris Paul was the 4th pick in the draft. He might not be the person that understands or cares about second round draft picks the most.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Before being the head of the NBAPA, Chris Paul was the 4th pick in the draft. He might not be the person that understands or cares about second round draft picks the most.
He‘d be more knowledgeable on the matter than either of us…..

in any case, here is an interesting read, it’s not going to resolve any different POVs in this discussion, but interesting view of the likelihood of success picking in the second round….

rammad90

Elite Member
He‘d be more knowledgeable on the matter than either of us…..

in any case, here is an interesting read, it’s not going to resolve any different POVs in this discussion, but interesting view of the likelihood of success picking in the second round….

I would like to see the 2nd rounders get some type of guarantee. However, for me it comes down to the players. What do players want. Do you really think a guy like Vince would have preferred not to have his name called? Not to get the additional press albeit limited?

My guess is most guys what to privilege and think there is value.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I would like to see the 2nd rounders get some type of guarantee. However, for me it comes down to the players. What do players want. Do you really think a guy like Vince would have preferred not to have his name called? Not to get the additional press albeit limited?

My guess is most guys what to privilege and think there is value.
I’m sure guys liked hearing their names called in the 5th round back in the day, but getting rid of the additional rounds was the right thing to do. I don’t think any of the professional league should be able to draft a player, hold their exclusive rights for signing a contract, but have no commitment to that player. That’s an absolutely wrong process and it seems so obvious to me why it’s wrong. The NBA needs to do one of two things. Either guarantee at least a two-way contract for 2-3 years for second round draft picks or get rid of the second round and allow anyone that’s not a first round draft pick to be an unrestricted free agent.

As for Vince, maybe it was good for him to be a second round pick and get a two-way deal with the Grizzlies. Maybe that was the best option he would have gotten. But we’ll never know. If he’d been a UFA and played in summer league like that, then he might have gotten a better deal or a two-way with a franchise that offered him a better path to being full time in the NBA.

I’m sure guys liked hearing their names called in the 5th round back in the day,
don't disagree about the shortening of the NBA draft - I like 2 rounds because I only have to watch 4-5 hours (this year slightly less because Vince went in mid 2nd)

we both know the NBA is all about the stars and the big contracts they get (30-50 million/year depending upon years of service for the stars)
if they just knocked a million off of one of the those contracts a year they could guarantee 2nd rounders nice money for a year (though probably won't happen in our lifetimes)

it could be worse and the player be drafted my MLB in their former 40 round draft palooza (yeah they shortened last two years because of pandemic and this year maybe 20 rounds) and those guys get peanuts in the minors unless 1st rounders typically

go Vince and Rams

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
He ran all over the Irish on the last scoring drive.
They not he. Johnson is a special teams/receiver that got a chance due to OSU's top receiver going down. Williams and former Hopewell RB Henderson closed out the game with the run.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
They not he. Johnson is a special teams/receiver that got a chance due to OSU's top receiver going down. Williams and former Hopewell RB Henderson closed out the game with the run.
Whoops. Yeah so the other RB not named Henderson ran all over them on the last scoring drive. 7 carries, 49 yards and a TD.