The Warren Files (1990-1994)

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
It's all about the question being asked.

IF you ask me the question "who is the most physically talented in vcu history?" I would say kendric warren without blinking on eye. Kendrick's upside was on par with len bias.

Two other comtemporaries in that mold and slighly below in physical takent would be lawrence funderburke out of ohio state and kenny "sky" walker from kentucky.

Both Bias and kw were the goto guys for their teams, the difference is bias developed a complete offemsive skillset
during his 4 years at Maryland and kw's game never evolved in the 4 years at vcu.

Both were equally taleneted, one developed an emtire offensive arsenal and became the number one overall pick in the draft, the other got passed over by 27 nba teams twice because his skill set never improved at vcu.

Go back on read my last post where I site an article kendrick's last game in a vcu uniform. We played at first round game against tech in the metro tournament, we lost 65-64 to tech because their go to guy hit 9-11 from ft line and kendrick shot 2-11. Sonny even said we lost because on ft shooting. we shot 6-17(kendrick 2-11).

Your best player(not your most physically takented) gets the ball at crunch time, he needs to be able to score various ways (not just dunks).

If there are 2 minutes left in the game, the scores tied and your lineup is maynor, duncan, graham, stinnie, skeen and special k and who gets the ball to give you the best chance to win the game?

Hey, 2-of-11 from the line is bad, but we also shot 41 percent and committed 20 turnovers in the game (points off turnovers: Tech 22, VCU 6). I know that information isn't going to slow down DL with a full head steam and a narrative. Terrance Gibson and Kenny Harris going a combined 5-of-18 from three in that game is also on Kendrick, obviously.

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Here is the box from that game. Kendrick's line: 10 points, 19 rebounds, 2 blocks, 4 steals, 5 assists.

Attachments

• AAFFBD62-EA6D-4925-BFAB-5D68A63B6655.jpeg
    AAFFBD62-EA6D-4925-BFAB-5D68A63B6655.jpeg
    875.8 KB · Views: 9

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I know it's just one game but let me know how much Warren was double and triple teamed in this game:
Only watched about 10 minutes of it, in different places in the game, double teamed about 8 times in those ten minutes. When he wasn't easy two every time. Whitherspoon for SM was a pretty good player too. BTW, Mills 1 for 4 from the line in the last two minutes, with a turnover and fouled a three point shooter for a 4 point play. Still love Sherron, but that wasn't exactly clutch.

Reactions: rammad90

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Hey, 2-of-11 from the line is bad, but we also shot 41 percent and committed 20 turnovers in the game (points off turnovers: Tech 22, VCU 6). I know that information isn't going to slow down DL with a full head steam and a narrative. Terrance Gibson and Kenny Harris going a combined 5-of-18 from three in that game is also on Kendrick, obviously.

Duly noted. You can't always control how well you play, the opponents ability to contest 3's; however, free throws are freebies.

Sonny smith pointed to the free throw shooting in this game as the reason we lost. (see below).

http://articles.dailypress.com/1994-03-12/sports/9403120160_1_vcu-virginia-tech-tech-s-defense

"The victory set up a semifinal matchup against top-seeded Louisville, the nation's 14th-ranked team, tonight at 7 at Mississippi Coast Coliseum. Tech (18-9), already a viable candidate for the NIT, is two victories away from earning its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 1986.

Purcell scored 19 of Tech's 29 points in the second half. VCU helped itself book a trip back to Richmond by turning in a 6-for-17 performance at the free-throw line.

``Our inability to shoot free throws really put our shoes away,'' VCU coach Sonny Smith said.

Purcell and Rams star forward Kendrick Warren each went to the free-throw line 11 times. Purcell hit nine, Warren two."

Last edited:

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Duly noted. You can't always control how well you play, the opponents ability to contest 3's; however, free throws are freebies.

Sonny smith pointed to the free throw shooting in this game as the reason we lost. (see below).

http://articles.dailypress.com/1994-03-12/sports/9403120160_1_vcu-virginia-tech-tech-s-defense

"The victory set up a semifinal matchup against top-seeded Louisville, the nation's 14th-ranked team, tonight at 7 at Mississippi Coast Coliseum. Tech (18-9), already a viable candidate for the NIT, is two victories away from earning its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 1986.

Purcell scored 19 of Tech's 29 points in the second half. VCU helped itself book a trip back to Richmond by turning in a 6-for-17 performance at the free-throw line.

``Our inability to shoot free throws really put our shoes away,'' VCU coach Sonny Smith said.

Purcell and Rams star forward Kendrick Warren each went to the free-throw line 11 times. Purcell hit nine, Warren two."

Quoting Sonny for a third time does not change my point. I read the article. We’re not even in that game if not for Kendrick. Yes, that’s poor free throw shooting. But your willingness to take small sample sizes and narrow data sets to prove some overreaching point is sharp as ever.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Quoting Sonny for a third time does not change my point. I read the article. We’re not even in that game if not for Kendrick. Yes, that’s poor free throw shooting. But your willingness to take small sample sizes and narrow data sets to prove some overreaching point is sharp as ever.
I will use this example :D and there are many more. Oh and this is the year that Kendrick got hurt. I am appalled that duncanlamb would indicate that the team was better without Kendrick. They ended in the NIT. With Kendrick it was NCAA. Period and end of story.

CS Long Beach Is Routed, 95-61 : College basketball: The 49ers start poorly and never recover against Virginia Commonwealth
January 24, 1993|From Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va. — Kendrick Warren, a 6-foot-8 forward, made nine of 10 shots during the first half and finished with 27 points as Virginia Commonwealth beat No. 25 Cal State Long Beach, 95-61, on Saturday.

"Kendrick Warren was out of sight in the first half," Ram Coach Sonny Smith said.

Reactions: Delta Chi Tony

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I will use this example :D and there are many more. Oh and this is the year that Kendrick got hurt. I am appalled that duncanlamb would indicate that the team was better without Kendrick. They ended in the NIT. With Kendrick it was NCAA. Period and end of story.

CS Long Beach Is Routed, 95-61 : College basketball: The 49ers start poorly and never recover against Virginia Commonwealth
January 24, 1993|From Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va. — Kendrick Warren, a 6-foot-8 forward, made nine of 10 shots during the first half and finished with 27 points as Virginia Commonwealth beat No. 25 Cal State Long Beach, 95-61, on Saturday.

"Kendrick Warren was out of sight in the first half," Ram Coach Sonny Smith said.
I remember that game well. Kendrick amped an already energetic crowd. It was showtime at the RC and he did not disappoint. He was a step ahead of the defense all evening and at one point I actually felt sorry for Long Beach and their coach Uncle Festus, er Seth Greenberg.

Reactions: rammed

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I know it's just one game but let me know how much Warren was double and triple teamed in this game:
You posted it. Pretty sure you watched it. Why don't you tell us all? As you state its only one game and this team had the best player in the conference.

What's your point?

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I remember that game well. Kendrick amped an already energetic crowd. It was showtime at the RC and he did not disappoint. He was a step ahead of the defense all evening and at one point I actually felt sorry for Long Beach and their coach Uncle Festus, er Seth Greenberg.
I was talking to Eric Atkins a while back as this was after I had graduated. Eric stated he and most of all of his former teammates thought that year was going to be special. That is until Kendrick got hurt. He went on to state if KW hadn't gotten hurt they could have made a run in the NCAA.

They had one heck of a front court with KW, Eugene Kissourine, and Mills. Plus ( and I stand corrected) Kendrick's Junior year they actually had a solid backcourt and front court. The only issue was Sonny and Kendrick getting hurt.

In KW's Sr. year it was him and a couple of guards (McCoy and Kenny Harris).

My point is Kenrick wasn't blessed with great team talent 3 out of 4 years he played. The one year he was he got hurt. Fresh and Soph no guards. Hr. year they put it all together and the guy gets hurt. Sr. year no front court. Mills graduated, Kissourine went back to France.

Last edited:

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
I was talking to Eric Atkins a while back as this was after I had graduated. Eric stated he and most of all of his former teammates thought that year was going to be special. That is until Kendrick got hurt. He went on to state if KW hadn't gotten hurt they could have made a run in the NCAA.

They had one heck of a front court with KW, Eugene Kissourine, and Mills. Plus ( and I stand corrected) Kendrick's Junior year they actually had a solid backcourt and front court. The only issue was Sonny.

In KW's Sr. year it was him a couple of guards (McCoy and Kenny Harris).

My point is Kenrick wasn't blessed with great team talent 3 out of 4 years he played. The one year he was he got hurt. Fresh and Soph no guards. Sr. year not front court. Mills graduated, Kissourine went back to France.
Don't forget the great Yan Bonato,also from France.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Rollins, well stated. That's what I have been pointing out to DL over and over. Without Kendrick we get beaten, just that simple.