The Warren Files (1990-1994)

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I was talking to Eric Atkins a while back as this was after I had graduated. Eric stated he and most of all of his former teammates thought that year was going to be special. That is until Kendrick got hurt. He went on to state if KW hadn't gotten hurt they could have made a run in the NCAA.

They had one heck of a front court with KW, Eugene Kissourine, and Mills. Plus ( and I stand corrected) Kendrick's Junior year they actually had a solid backcourt and front court. The only issue was Sonny.

In KW's Sr. year it was him a couple of guards (McCoy and Kenny Harris).

My point is Kenrick wasn't blessed with great team talent 3 out of 4 years he played. The one year he was he got hurt. Fresh and Soph no guards. Sr. year not front court. Mills graduated, Kissourine went back to France.
Yes, that front court of KW, Kissourine (who I think was actually from Russia, played on their national team pretty well a few years later) and Mills was the best front court VCU has ever had IMHO. With Kendrick healthy the whole season they could have done some damage come NCAA time, even with Sonny.

Reactions: rammed
Nov 3, 2011
I will use this example :D and there are many more. Oh and this is the year that Kendrick got hurt. I am appalled that duncanlamb would indicate that the team was better without Kendrick. They ended in the NIT. With Kendrick it was NCAA. Period and end of story.

CS Long Beach Is Routed, 95-61 : College basketball: The 49ers start poorly and never recover against Virginia Commonwealth
January 24, 1993|From Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va. — Kendrick Warren, a 6-foot-8 forward, made nine of 10 shots during the first half and finished with 27 points as Virginia Commonwealth beat No. 25 Cal State Long Beach, 95-61, on Saturday.

"Kendrick Warren was out of sight in the first half," Ram Coach Sonny Smith said.

The RC was crazy that night! Pretty sure the (then)attendance record was set at that game. Kendrick stole a couple of souls from his dunk victims :lol::lol::lol:.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Only watched about 10 minutes of it, in different places in the game, double teamed about 8 times in those ten minutes. When he wasn't easy two every time. Whitherspoon for SM was a pretty good player too. BTW, Mills 1 for 4 from the line in the last two minutes, with a turnover and fouled a three point shooter for a 4 point play. Still love Sherron, but that wasn't exactly clutch.
I don't think he was double teamed any more than any other competent big when he got the ball in the paint. Not like teams were playing a box and one against VCU when Warren played.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I don't think he was double teamed any more than any other competent big when he got the ball in the paint. Not like teams were playing a box and one against VCU when Warren played.
Take a look at some of the Tulane games, always double teamed and physical against KW. They had some big strong guys too. and like I said, when he wasn't doubled he scored.

Reactions: rammad90

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Take a look at some of the Tulane games, always double teamed and physical against KW. They had some big strong guys too. and like I said, when he wasn't doubled he scored.
I wish I could. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of full game footage available. And one thing I've learned over the years, you can't always rely on people's recollection of things because folks (myself included) are prone to embellishment as time passes.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I wish I could. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of full game footage available. And one thing I've learned over the years, you can't always rely on people's recollection of things because folks (myself included) are prone to embellishment as time passes.
Yes, we are prone to embellishment. As I recall, every time KW touched the ball in the paint, at least 4, Mooney claims it's 6 ( but he's embellishing) 7'5" 350 lb giants surrounded him and beat on him with big clubs. Well, maybe not, but he was often double teamed, as I recall.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Loved the biased announcers vs The Crabbers.
I had to watch that entire game and they were hilarious. On one dunk they kept saying he took an extra step. I watched in slow motion and it was perfect. They were definitely homers. For most of the first half they kept calling him Warren Kendrick. Crabbers won that game by the way. Several Norfolk names on that team like Bacote.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I had to watch that entire game and they were hilarious. On one dunk they kept saying he took an extra step. I watched in slow motion and it was perfect. They were definitely homers. For most of the first half they kept calling him Warren Kendrick. Crabbers won that game by the way. Several Norfolk names on that team like Bacote.
How on earth did Kendrick not get a real legitimate shot in the NBA? Do you think it was politics or just the nature of the game at the time? He would have dominated Obi heads up!

BTW- thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
How on earth did Kendrick not get a real legitimate shot in the NBA? Do you think it was politics or just the nature of the game at the time? He would have dominated Obi heads up!

BTW- thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Part of the reason was that he got hurt during the preseason. I do not think he would have dominated Obi head up. That would be fun to watch though. Kendrick has limitations in his game like everyone else and the NBA is tough. At least I got to enjoy him during his four years.

Reactions: Ram14

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
picked up on both of those in the pieces you included- His explosiveness sure brings back fond memories of sitting half court in the first row behind the rail at the Brown Mushroom. Kendick would have starred on any team any decade that we have ever had, that special ! Sure hope to see his son develop into a RAM !!