This doesn't make sense

Mar 19, 2014
I rarely start a thread, but I just can't wrap my head around what's happening right now. Just to recap:

1. These same starters and coach won the A10 last year.
2. This is a tournament team from last year returning all starters, coach, and system
3. This is a team that started the season ranked in the Top 25.
4. The first half of this season was like any other. Strong OOC schedule, big win against LSU, started strong in Conference play.

Everything was going exactly as expected. Yeah, we didn't get a win in Florida but that wasn't a big deal, they were competitive.

So what happened? Rhode Island beats us at home and we fall completely apart? Is there dissension in the lockerroom among the players that we don't know about? This is not the same team that started the season.

I'm not looking to play the blame game as it's likely a perfect storm of suck and not one thing, but this just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I have been thinking about this as well and not even going back as far as the home URI loss but leading up to the GMU game we were picked in the NCAA's by nearly everyone, had a low 30's NET, it seemed like pretty much any other year of the past decade or so. That game and after has just been a huge struggle and doesn't make sense. We need a shadowy program insider to fill us in on what the heck is going on ha

Mar 19, 2014
I have been thinking about this as well and not even going back as far as the home URI loss but leading up to the GMU game we were picked in the NCAA's by nearly everyone, had a low 30's NET, it seemed like pretty much any other year of the past decade or so. That game and after has just been a huge struggle and doesn't make sense. We need a shadowy program insider to fill us in on what the heck is going on ha
It's honestly like two different seasons, the first half vs. the second half. Two different teams. The first one I recognize, this one I don't. AT ALL.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Not sure what happened then but last night the team played with no pride...

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
The team has imploded. With this regime playing their cards as close to the vest as they do, we may never get a peek under the kimono to understand what happened. That’s all I got- run out of metaphors 😊

• Haha
Reactions: DisplacedRam

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
How many of our players have been hurt during practice last and this year?

how many players in the A10 have been hurt during their practices? I’d love to see that stat if anyone has it.

injuries have absolutely CRUSHED our season. Evans, Crowfield, Williams, And Corey have all been hurt (maybe IV) during practice. Maybe Rhoades should reflect on what the heck he has our guys doing, and change it.

Reactions: VCU1970 and connell

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty evident that the team is divided behind the scenes and it manifests and shows itself on the court. We aren’t connected and playing for each other. Dayton is all in and completely connected and fighting for each other on every play. We may never know exactly what the cause is, jealously, cliques, girl drama, boy drama, whatever...but it’s clear that they aren’t as tight as they were last year.

Nov 20, 2009
I think Evans has been not healthy to some extent all season and that’s been the biggest factor.

I heard from a long time fan that there has been some rift between the upperclassmen and young guys, which makes sense when reading into Williams’ tweet a week or so ago about the “crew” not being right. That being said, the kids on any team don’t have to necessarily like each other to be successful. It certainly helps though.

Apr 21, 2009
As others have noted in related threads and game threads, something has been off since the Florida tournament. This team has the look and feel of a team that has quit. I wish we knew what the real issues are here. That said, it's on the coaching staff to figure it out and correct it. It's baffling to see such a negative turnaround from one season to the next with essentially the same team. It's within the realm of possibility that this crew finishes at or below .500 in the conference -- mind boggling considering 16-2 last year...

RamDaddio

Top Member
Apr 18, 2015
I rarely start a thread, but I just can't wrap my head around what's happening right now. Just to recap:

1. These same starters and coach won the A10 last year.
2. This is a tournament team from last year returning all starters, coach, and system
3. This is a team that started the season ranked in the Top 25.
4. The first half of this season was like any other. Strong OOC schedule, big win against LSU, started strong in Conference play.

Everything was going exactly as expected. Yeah, we didn't get a win in Florida but that wasn't a big deal, they were competitive.

So what happened? Rhode Island beats us at home and we fall completely apart? Is there distention in the lockerroom among the players that we don't know about? This is not the same team that started the season.

I'm not looking to play the blame game as it's likely a perfect storm of suck and not one thing, but this just doesn't make sense.
None that I've noticed, but I'm not a doctor.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk