This doesn't make sense

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
When a team underperforms, it is on everyone: players and coaches. A coach has to figure out how to reach the players, the buttons to push and the rotations, etc. The players must execute the plans on the floor. On offense a coach can only design a scheme to get guys good looks. A coach cannot make the shots for the players. I’ve seen so many missed layups and bunnies this year and wide open threes missed. That leads to one area that most fans seem to be missing: the talent of the seniors isn’t as high as we need. This is what happens when you have three coaches in four years. The attrition is hard to overcome.

Let’s face facts: we outperformed last season, in part because the A-10 was down, and in part because the kids played loose and free. They built confidence as the season wore on. Even in losses (@ top-10 UVA), they were in the game until the end, which was a confidence builder. We overachieved for many reasons, but we weren’t the most talented team VCU has had either.

This season the A-10 is so much better, and many teams improved as their younger players improved from last season. The biggest improvement in players is typically from freshmen to sophomore and/or from sophomore to junior. By the senior season, most kids are who they are, with improvement coming at the margins. Other than Jenkins, who of our seniors was a highly recruited player? Of our seniors, who really has been an all A-10 caliber player? Evans and Jenkins? I love Evans, but he has been bitten by the injury bug since he got here. As they say in football, the best ability is AVAILABILITY. I think Vince could be special, but the injury bug seems to have gotten to him too. Hopefully he will have a healthy off-season. If so, then I believe you’ll see great improvement from him next season.

The overall talent and athleticism of our freshmen is better than our seniors, as a group. However, they are freshmen and they do freshmen things. I think Bones has a chance to be an all-time great at VCU, but he does freshmen things sometimes. (See late 2nd half against Dayton when he took a terrible midrange jumper, missed badly, then fouled Crutcher 80 feet from the basket; frustration foul.). Ward, McCallister and Clark are all showing encouraging signs and all are athletic.

The talent level is starting to improve, but it’s young talent. When the seniors aren’t playing well as a group, then a 17-10 record is what you get in an improved conference. It stinks. We all hate it, because after outperforming last season, we are underperforming this season. I still believe the future looks bright, and I am excited to see the freshmen getting some valuable minutes now. The only thing we can do is to grin and bear it at this point.
That still does not explain getting blown out multiple times.

Aug 7, 2012
That is not an accurate portrayal.
Do you think we run an effective offense? Do you think we should continue with our pressure 30 feet from the basket with guards that aren’t capable and a big man that picks up fouls out there and has to sit?

This staff doesn't make good adjustments, ruins momentum with mass substitutions, and has no idea how to coach offense.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
As stated by another poster....

The Great Regression

I really believe this season is going to look like an outlier given the talent returning and coming in...if that's a millstone around the necks of these seniors? So be it...that's life. Live and grow, gentlemen...no one ever said life was fair or easy. You get out of it what you put in, and sometimes you get the poop end of the stick anyway.
Coach Rhoades however? He'll have a great opportunity to get this program back on track and I believe he will. Whether the entire Staff returns? We'll see...but this Program needs an offensive enema. It may be the personnel? It may be scheme? It is probably a little of both...but the freshman class coming along with the fellas returning may have the "it" to make it work where these seniors have clearly flailed.

When it's all said and done? It's just a disappointing season for us as fans, we're not the ones that are gonna have to live with the taste of it. We get to move on to next season....heck, many of us have dozens and dozens of seasons under our belts. VCU basketball is an escape, a passion, a hobby, an excuse to hang with friends or go on epic middle age road trips sans wives and kids and Work, a chance to meet online and discuss college bball minutiae. It's Fun, mostly....even when a season disappoints our fragile "hopes and dreams" thrust upon some kids who play a game at a school that probably had a HUGE impact on our lives way back when.

It's all good
Life goes on
"Enjoy Every Sandwich"
Warren Zevon (RIP)

Aug 7, 2012
I think people should slow their roll about our young guys and recruits. There are some good players in that group, but no magic fixes. I’m excited about the guys we’re bringing in, but I wouldn’t expect major instant impacts from most of these guys. We need a quality grad transfer or JUCO transfer badly.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
That still does not explain getting blown out multiple times.
Yes, it actually does explain it. We are not as talented as many think, so we have to play a certain way to overcome some deficiencies. We have to play aggressively with energy/urgency/intensity (whatever you want to call it). When we don’t play the way we need to play, then we can get blown out by better teams or lose to even lesser teams.

Every team we’ve lost to except Mason is at least on par with us as a whole from a talent perspective. When we show up to play, then we give ourselves a chance to beat anyone (LSU, Purdue, Tennessee, Dayton at home, UR at home). In those types of games, it can then come down to execution. LSU has more talent than VCU, but we played with such incredible energy that game and executed at the end a bit better than they did.

When we don’t show up to play as we need to do, then you get the blowout losses to really good teams, particularly on the road (Dayton, Rhody, UR). In those games, you don’t even give yourself a chance in the latter stages because you are so far behind.

Then, you have games like Mason in which the team expects to win against a lesser foe and plays as if they can flip the switch. We flipped the switch too late in that game, just as Kentucky did against a terrible Evansville team, as Rhody did against a bad Brown team, UR and Radford, Duke and SFA (at least SFA is good, but they can’t match Duke’s talent); the list goes on.

Reactions: mrgeode and enonram

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Do you think we run an effective offense? Do you think we should continue with our pressure 30 feet from the basket with guards that aren’t capable and a big man that picks up fouls out there and has to sit?

This staff doesn't make good adjustments, ruins momentum with mass substitutions, and has no idea how to coach offense.
I think our offense gets us plenty of wide open looks from three and shots at the rim. Our players haven’t been converting. The offensive struggles aren’t schematic, in my opinion. all a coach can do is get guys looks. I continue to see guys missing wide open threes and not finishing at the rim. That not coaching.

Aug 7, 2012
I think our offense gets us plenty of wide open looks from three and shots at the rim. Our players haven’t been converting. The offensive struggles aren’t schematic, in my opinion. all a coach can do is get guys looks. I continue to see guys missing wide open threes and not finishing at the rim. That not coaching.
I think we get some of our open 3s because opposing coaches are willing to allow those shots if it takes away everything else. They know that we only have a couple guys that are consistent enough to cause real damage.

Reactions: Nic

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Things aren't really as bad as they seem, guys. We can't forget, we've lost so many players to transfer from all the coaching turnover. If we had just Doughty this year, we'd be MUCH better now. Many teams would've folded a long time ago from all this turnover, so it's a wonder that we're still doing as well as we are. Keep your heads up! We will be young next year, but I think this season will still become a distant memory quickly. Rhoades will do well with his own recruits.

May 4, 2012
Douglas has dissapeared and Ward is a freshman.
We are razor thin at big. Its that simple.
We won a terrible A10 last year and got blown out of the ncaa game so there was no reason to think we were going to be going this year.
Everyone was going with conventional wisdom but if you were familiar with our team you should have known better.
And remember we will be young next year so manage your expectations.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Douglas has dissapeared and Ward is a freshman.
We are razor thin at big. Its that simple.
We won a terrible A10 last year and got blown out of the ncaa game so there was no reason to think we were going to be going this year.
Everyone was going with conventional wisdom but if you were familiar with our team you should have known better.
And remember we will be young next year so manage your expectations.
Guys who play like they are checked out is my issue. Hopefully, even if they lose, young guys will play hard.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Things aren't really as bad as they seem, guys. We can't forget, we've lost so many players to transfer from all the coaching turnover. If we had just Doughty this year, we'd be MUCH better now. Many teams would've folded a long time ago from all this turnover, so it's a wonder that we're still doing as well as we are. Keep your heads up! We will be young next year, but I think this season will still become a distant memory quickly. Rhoades will do well with his own recruits.
Doughty ship sailed long ago for mysterious reasons.....or so I hear.

I don't believe this season's issues are "program churn"....seems like those ripples have dissipated.

May 4, 2012
Guys who play like they are checked out is my issue. Hopefully, even if they lose, young guys will play hard.
Im sure they will and will do fine as freshmen go. But we wont be going undefeated. I am looking forward to seeing them go. Seems like good potential once they are seasoned.