This doesn't make sense

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I think our offense gets us plenty of wide open looks from three and shots at the rim. Our players haven’t been converting. The offensive struggles aren’t schematic, in my opinion. all a coach can do is get guys looks. I continue to see guys missing wide open threes and not finishing at the rim. That not coaching.
I agree. I honestly think our offensive scheme is fine. It's an NBA style offense, and other good college teams run it. We saw what it could do against LSU, SBU, and UR at home, even against Dayton at times on Tuesday. When our players are dialed in and they hit shots (especially when Bones is running it), the offense is beautiful. The problem is they simply aren't that talented, so those games were outliers. But the offensive scheme gives them plenty of good driving opportunities and open looks. We need another big who's skilled offensively to help MSS, and I hope Brown-Jones can be that guy, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I think people should slow their roll about our young guys and recruits. There are some good players in that group, but no magic fixes. I’m excited about the guys we’re bringing in, but I wouldn’t expect major instant impacts from most of these guys. We need a quality grad transfer or JUCO transfer badly.
Oh, I agree...I don't see all the freshman hitting hard right away. Bones/Curry/Mss/Corey/Vince...not to mention Hason/JM/Tre' will have the inside track on immediate minutes. My point was the incoming frosh appear to have a higher starting point (in regards to talent/body/etc) than guys like Crow/Simms et al. It absolutely stands to reason that their trajectory should be more impactful than at least 3/5ths of this senior class when it all plays out....

I know, I know....If's and But's and Transfers and all that....just throwin' stuff out there to mitigate the sad reality of this (probably) lost season.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Doughty ship sailed long ago for mysterious reasons.....or so I hear.

I don't believe this season's issues are "program churn"....seems like those ripples have dissipated.
I know, just trying to make the point that we've lost some great talent.

I really do think the "churn" is the main issue. Wade recruited some hard-to-coach players that weren't that talented on top of it. He had trouble coaching them himself. We like to blame Wade and his personality here nowadays, but sometimes it's the players too. We see the same things with those players with Rhoades that say "uncoachable".

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Oh, I agree...I don't see all the freshman hitting hard right away. Bones/Curry/Mss/Corey/Vince...not to mention Hason/JM/Tre' will have the inside track on immediate minutes. My point was the incoming frosh appear to have a higher starting point (in regards to talent/body/etc) than guys like Crow/Simms et al. It absolutely stands to reason that their trajectory should be more impactful than at least 3/5ths of this senior class when it all plays out....

I know, I know....If's and But's and Transfers and all that....just throwin' stuff out there to mitigate the sad reality of this (probably) lost season.
I will say this. Unless Curry develops an outside shot this off season, McAllister is going to take minutes away from him next year. The two rising sophomores to look out for next season are McAllister and Ward. Both are going to take minutes away next year from players currently in front of them. That includes, not only Curry, but also Douglas who may potentially see fewer minutes next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgeode and 2012Ram

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I know, just trying to make the point that we've lost some great talent.
too true...frankly, it's amazing to me the success of the VCU Program since AG left after the 2009 season. 9 NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 12 years thru 4 coaches.

Maybe we are "spoiled" as a fan base...but the results of this season, considering the lack of turnover from last year's team, is sadly notable and deserving of consternation and criticism.

Last edited:

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
When things go well over a long enough time, it can seem like just the way things are... how they're supposed to be.. when in reality, it was some combination of harmonized layers of protracted hard work and good fortune. Sometimes those elements revert, get out of synch, and the harmonies go dissonant. Some of that can be due to less effective work, some to a wide variety of fluctuating variables, and some is bad fortune replacing good. Some of it can be controlled, but much of it can't. It's frustrating, especially when you've become accustomed to the good times.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
And don't get me wrong, we will have our defensive struggles next season. But if we can have a team full of players that are just a tiny bit more offensively skilled, and can hit open shots just a tiny bit more consistently, our offense will be extremely fun to watch. Our shooting woes have been that bad the last few years, under multiple coaches, so the only way we'll head is up.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I think people should slow their roll about our young guys and recruits. There are some good players in that group, but no magic fixes. I’m excited about the guys we’re bringing in, but I wouldn’t expect major instant impacts from most of these guys. We need a quality grad transfer or JUCO transfer badly.
We need the talented freshman and incoming class to gain maturity and experience. Unless a freshman is a one and done, and those don’t play in the A-10, then even teams with 4-star freshmen need those kids to improve and mature.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Douglas has dissapeared and Ward is a freshman.
We are razor thin at big. Its that simple.
We won a terrible A10 last year and got blown out of the ncaa game so there was no reason to think we were going to be going this year.
Everyone was going with conventional wisdom but if you were familiar with our team you should have known better.
And remember we will be young next year so manage your expectations.
Douglas’s foot is bothering him.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
When things go well over a long enough time, it can seem like just the way things are... how they're supposed to be.. when in reality, it was some combination of harmonized layers of protracted hard work and good fortune. Sometimes those elements revert, get out of synch, and the harmonies go dissonant. Some of that can be due to less effective work, some to a wide variety of fluctuating variables, and some is bad fortune replacing good. Some of it can be controlled, but much of it can't. It's frustrating, especially when you've become accustomed to the good times.
Seriously, if you have a Newsletter or Manifesto?? Sign me up!!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I rarely start a thread, but I just can't wrap my head around what's happening right now. Just to recap:

1. These same starters and coach won the A10 last year.
2. This is a tournament team from last year returning all starters, coach, and system
3. This is a team that started the season ranked in the Top 25.
4. The first half of this season was like any other. Strong OOC schedule, big win against LSU, started strong in Conference play.

Everything was going exactly as expected. Yeah, we didn't get a win in Florida but that wasn't a big deal, they were competitive.

So what happened? Rhode Island beats us at home and we fall completely apart? Is there dissension in the lockerroom among the players that we don't know about? This is not the same team that started the season.

I'm not looking to play the blame game as it's likely a perfect storm of suck and not one thing, but this just doesn't make sense.
Or how about the fact that we played really well against Dayton at home.... yet the 2nd half against GMU, the entire game against Richmond & then the last 30 minutes against SLU (after playing decent the first 10 minutes).... we look lost out there.

So how is it we can play tough for 40 minutes against the #5 team in the country.... but we can't against GMU, Richmond (after beating them a week or two prior), or SLU.

I was saying this after the Dayton game.... & I'll say it again now. If we played like we did against Dayton Tuesday night.... we woulda beat GMU, Richmond & SLU. And against Dayton we had 10 total points from our seniors. 6 of which came from 2 Crowfield 3's.... and we didn't not have Evans at all that game.

So why is it, we can show up against Dayton, with little production from our seniors... but we can't do it against the other teams? Makes no sense.