This doesn't make sense

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@RowdyPkunk I read in another post how there seems to be a divide between the seniors and underclassmen behind the scenes. I can kind of see it on the floor as well. For example, last night, the starters played fairly well, then the bench came in and allowed the SLU run, and then the starters/seniors seemed to stop caring and everything snowballed. I can recall that happening more than once over this losing streak, and at URI. Against Dayton, the youngins' played well pretty much all game. This is pure speculation, but I think Rhoades is trying to do damage control with his presser comments about his loyalty to the seniors, to try to prevent the seniors from dissenting even more. After all, when they actually feel like playing hard, they play good defense and play fairly smart, regardless of whether or not their shots are falling.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
@RowdyPkunk I read in another post how there seems to be a divide between the seniors and underclassmen behind the scenes. I can kind of see it on the floor as well. For example, last night, the starters played fairly well, then the bench came in and allowed the SLU run, and then the starters/seniors seemed to stop caring and everything snowballed. I can recall that happening more than once over this losing streak, and at URI. Against Dayton, the youngins' played well pretty much all game. This is pure speculation, but I think Rhoades is trying to do damage control with his presser comments about his loyalty to the seniors, to try to prevent the seniors from dissenting even more. After all, when they actually feel like playing hard, they play good defense and play fairly smart, regardless of whether or not their shots are falling.
where do the Juniors fall into this?Are MSS and Corey with the seniors, or are they trying to mediate? Somethings been up with MSS, so this seems to be affecting him as well.

Reactions: LQuarles

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
It's so hard to tell with MSS. It's probably a mix of factors. Frustration with the team, himself missing layups and free throws, the officiating, etc.

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
Enough. I can't ever remember a prior VCU team like this that "peaked" in November. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long, long time and try to never post negatively, but
The wheels on the bus have officially come off. The bumps in roads that we have hit, were actually bodies thrown under the bus. Not only have the wheels come off, we have jumped the curb, careened down the embankment, turned over and the bus has fallen into the river. We find ourselves now floating away downriver into the land of Wtfjusthappened. There is no panacea that will help.

Natty's stats on a earlier page are correct. The league has gotten better and we have declined. But in addition,
This team cannot shoot. 223rd in the country, shooting %. 173rd scoring offense. 278th in 10-20' shots, 195th at the rim. 73rd from 3.
Only 1 of the 5 seniors, @ 40.5, shoots better than 40%. :shock:
This team cannot rebound. 257th in the country. We have only TWO(2) players that average more than 3.1 rebounds. Horrible, horrible stat!!!
They play without focus. We step out of bounds, we dribble off our foot. Silly, silly turnovers. We put up shots that don't even draw iron. I counted SIX (6) more shots last night that never hit rim. Why does this happen game in, game out?
Coaching staff does not adjust. No credit for the 1 1/2 minutes of zone that we played last night (badly, I might add). We are predictable and every A10 coach has the book on us. Run us off the 3pt. line on defense and drive the lane, like Rhode Island and countless others have done. We can not stop it. We only look good when playing a team with inferior guards that turn the ball over.
We play hard, but not smart. Our defense is impressive, our offense, not.
No chemistry. Hints of discord and dissension.
Need I go on.
Enough.

May 4, 2012
Or how about the fact that we played really well against Dayton at home.... yet the 2nd half against GMU, the entire game against Richmond & then the last 30 minutes against SLU (after playing decent the first 10 minutes).... we look lost out there.

So how is it we can play tough for 40 minutes against the #5 team in the country.... but we can't against GMU, Richmond (after beating them a week or two prior), or SLU.

I was saying this after the Dayton game.... & I'll say it again now. If we played like we did against Dayton Tuesday night.... we woulda beat GMU, Richmond & SLU. And against Dayton we had 10 total points from our seniors. 6 of which came from 2 Crowfield 3's.... and we didn't not have Evans at all that game.

So why is it, we can show up against Dayton, with little production from our seniors... but we can't do it against the other teams? Makes no sense.
Grant was using us as a scrimmage preparing for March. It was an exersize in executing the plan.
If he wanted to kill us he would have.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Grant was using us as a scrimmage preparing for March. It was an exersize in executing the plan.
I'm sure you're probably being somewhat sarcastic..... but, Sorry I honestly don't believe that. AG may have a lot of respect for this school, but I can't see him "taking it easy on us".

Reactions: Beirne

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Rhode Island has the Rams’ number and losing to them twice has had a lasting impact on the team. Then you throw in the Mason debacle and then UR and we’re in a free fall. It might be just a confidence thing. Win out the rest of the games and maybe this thing gets back on track for the tournament. Right now, the pressure is off and no one expects much from the Rams. That may help ?

Reactions: mrgeode

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
There are some ridiculous statements on this blog, myself included, but this one is beyond ridiculous. If you think for a second that a coach, any coach, but especially Grant would risk his undefeated record against the team that beat him twice last year you are beyond hope. I suppose he told Toppin, Landers, Mikesell and Crutcher he would play them for 35+ minutes but he really wanted them to tank the entire time. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
Things aren't really as bad as they seem, guys. We can't forget, we've lost so many players to transfer from all the coaching turnover. If we had just Doughty this year, we'd be MUCH better now. Many teams would've folded a long time ago from all this turnover, so it's a wonder that we're still doing as well as we are. Keep your heads up! We will be young next year, but I think this season will still become a distant memory quickly. Rhoades will do well with his own recruits.
Pretty sure had Samir stayed he would have graduated last year. Unless my math is off.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
I know, just trying to make the point that we've lost some great talent.

I really do think the "churn" is the main issue. Wade recruited some hard-to-coach players that weren't that talented on top of it. He had trouble coaching them himself. We like to blame Wade and his personality here nowadays, but sometimes it's the players too. We see the same things with those players with Rhoades that say "uncoachable".
Maybe losing Sean hurt more than we are giving credit for. High basketball IQ, great passer, good shooter, did the small things, the details. I think we really missed him this year.

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe losing Sean hurt more than we are giving credit for. High basketball IQ, great passer, good shooter, did the small things, the details. I think we really missed him this year.
Math is wrong on Samir.

Mobley wouldn’t help much. He will help a team that runs a cohesive offense. Sean Mobley and MRs poop show had nothing to offer each other.

It really doesn’t matter the player, inevitably they are the missing link here. I’m guilty of thinking Samir would make a difference, but that may have been mutual anyway. Maybe HE wasn’t interested in VCU/MR. Good move.

Mobley, Gilmore, a healthy ME, doesn’t matter. This team is done.