This is so cool

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Reggie Cain — super cool guy. I’ve reached out to him a few times over the years for different things. Always game for anything VCU.
Reggie is a great guy. He was a Recreation Instructor of mine at Laburnum Elementary way back when, and he Coached my brother in law in JC. Reggie could jump very high. He was also a baller.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Jan 16, 2020
Reggie is a great guy. He was a Recreation Instructor of mine at Laburnum Elementary way back when, and he Coached my brother in law in JC. Reggie could jump very high. He was also a baller.

Reggie Cain, of course, was part of VCU's best-ever recruiting class, 1970-71: Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris, Dave Edwards, Howie Robertson and Greg McDougald ... in fact, Reggie and McDougald came from same James Monroe High in New York ... two Reggie memories jump out -. he hit a pair of long jumpers in OT to help defeat Minnesota as freshman in' 71 ... then Jan. 15, 1973, Reg made the game winning basket at the buzzer to win at Norfolk State, 92-91. It's one of the few true "do or die" buzzer-beating victory shots in Rams' lore ... some other winning hoops, such as Maynor's "Dagger" and Bo Jones' 70 footer, were win or go to OT. Penny Elliott and Monty Knight had "do or die" winners at JMU (under Kirk) and Michael Brown swished a 25-footer at W&M to make J.D. Barnett a very happy coach.

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
Reggie Cain, of course, was part of VCU's best-ever recruiting class, 1970-71: Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris, Dave Edwards, Howie Robertson and Greg McDougald ... in fact, Reggie and McDougald came from same James Monroe High in New York ... two Reggie memories jump out -. he hit a pair of long jumpers in OT to help defeat Minnesota as freshman in' 71 ... then Jan. 15, 1973, Reg made the game winning basket at the buzzer to win at Norfolk State, 92-91. It's one of the few true "do or die" buzzer-beating victory shots in Rams' lore ... some other winning hoops, such as Maynor's "Dagger" and Bo Jones' 70 footer, were win or go to OT. Penny Elliott and Monty Knight had "do or die" winners at JMU (under Kirk) and Michael Brown swished a 25-footer at W&M to make J.D. Barnett a very happy coach.
someone needs to create a Ram Nation Wiki to collect all of these great storylines from years past.

Reactions: rammed

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
bighorn I love the history man. I knew/met Bernard Harris or Super Nard as he was called, and Jesse Dark as a kid. As stated, Reggie was closer as he was both a mentor and a family friend. All interesting guys.

Two NBA players in the same class from a school that was new to DI. That class would be a top 15-20 class in todays rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: DisplacedRam
Jan 16, 2020
bighorn I love the history man. I knew/met Bernard Harris or Super Nard as he was called, and Jesse Dark as a kid. As stated, Reggie was closer as he was both a mentor and a family friend. All interesting guys.

Two NBA players in the same class from a school that was new to DI. That class would be a top 15-20 class in todays rankings.
Don't forget McDougald, a fourth--round pick same year Dark and Harris were selected .... After a sensational freshman season at VCU, McDougald transferred to Seminole JC in Florida and then to Oral Roberts. Many theories about McDougald's reason(s)
for leaving.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Don't forget McDougald, a fourth--round pick same year Dark and Harris were selected .... After a sensational freshman season at VCU, McDougald transferred to Seminole JC in Florida and then to Oral Roberts. Many theories about McDougald's reason(s)
for leaving.
I started here as that class was leaving, is it ok to say I’ll bite and ask for theories? Google isn’t helping....

Jan 16, 2020
I started here as that class was leaving, is it ok to say I’ll bite and ask for theories? Google isn’t helping....
Don't want to say much since Greg has passed and can't speak for himself (Reggie Cain would know more).... but as I recall, his Bronx upbringing didn't jive with 1970 Richmond, Va. .... Incidentally, from that trail-blazing 70-71 team that upset Minnesota, seven Rams are no longer with us - McDougald, Jabo Wilkins, Charles Chambliss, Charles Booker, Mike Fling, Barry Sudduth and Keith Lawson, plus coaches Charlie Moses and Chuck Noe.