This is the effect we have...

May 19, 2015
My favorite watering holes during my student days and and the immediate period after were Robert’s Roost, Jade Elephant, J.W.Rayles and Bennie’s. Bennie’s was home to some of the finest punk bands including the Prevaricators, White Cross and Siouxie and the Banshees.

For blues and rock n’ roll it was the String Factory, a regular stop for Steel Mill. I also saw the Allmans there and other famous groups, but my memory is a little fuzzy from that time. A side note, the Mosque was a Mecca for top bands of the day. Jimi Hendrix, the Isley Brothers, Doug and the Hot Nuts, Otis Redding, John Hiatt, David Bromberg, Little Feat, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty, B.B. King and Jackson Brown were just some of the groups I saw there.

J.W. Rayles!

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Dámn you guys are lucky! The mid 90’s at VCU were boring as sht. Pretty much everything you describe was gone and all the stuff that’s there now wasn’t there yet. I guess it helped my grades.
You were in the transition between the Wild Wild West that was and the economic powerhouse that is

Reactions: ramfan84

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
You were in the transition between the Wild Wild West that was and the economic powerhouse that is
I think I came in just as the last remnants of the old days were going away. A lot of it was probably killed as much by the rise in drinking age as it was by VCU. But it was one boring time to be on campus. Finding food around campus was a serious issue. There weren’t many options. Going to a bar to drink wasn’t a real option.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I was there in between those periods. Had a crappy apt on Meadow that was broken into 3 times before I was able to break the lease.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Aug 26, 2016
Did any of you guys ever make it around the world at Paragon Pub? I was determined to run the gauntlet but for some reason we kept getting stuck drinking oil cans from Australia! D⚫️MN those Foster Lagers. 🥴

Mar 18, 2012
Did any of you guys ever make it around the world at Paragon Pub? I was determined to run the gauntlet but for some reason we kept getting stuck drinking oil cans from Australia! D⚫MN those Foster Lagers. 🥴
The Paragon was still a pharmacy when I went there. It played a very important role in the New Residence (Gladding) Center culture.

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
In my second year at VCU (1972) I returned to VCU with a cast on my left leg from a ankle break that I suffered the summer of 72 paying summer league baseball. Had to wear the darn cast for 13 weeks. Early in the start of the 72 fall term they had a keg party in the old Franklin St. gym. They were filling the cups of beer so fast they just left the taps open and some of the spilled beer ran off the table, down my leg and into my cast and out pass my toes. Those kegs were emptied in record time. You can’t imagine what my leg smelled like when the cast was finally cut off.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Mar 18, 2012
In my second year at VCU (1972) I returned to VCU with a cast on my left leg from a ankle break that I suffered the summer of 72 paying summer league baseball. Had to wear the darn cast for 13 weeks. Early in the start of the 72 fall term they had a keg party in the old Franklin St. gym. They were filling the cups of beer so fast they just left the taps open and some of the spilled beer ran off the table, down my leg and into my cast and out pass my toes. Those kegs were emptied in record time. You can’t imagine what my leg smelled like when the cast was finally cut off.
The Old Franklin St. Gym parties were legendary, as were the Shaffer Court bands and beer. Tickets for beer were like 5 for a dollar.