This is the effect we have...

Mar 14, 2010
Were you a chemistry major? I was. And my mom worked in the chemistry department from 1968-70 in the old Life Sciences Building for Dr. Kapp and Dr. Bass.
I was a Chemistry Major 81-85. I had Dr. Bass (RIP) for Organic. I donate to his scholarship fund. He and Dr. Topic convinced me to be a chemistry major at an ACS symposium. All you who don't know what an ACS synposium was like back then missed out.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
There used to be an old video store on Grace, behind Rhoads Hall, that would advertise 2 free movies with a new membership. They had coupon books that they'd stuff in our mailboxes.

Well it was 1990-1991, before computers, and they still used an index card filing system to keep track of their memberships. Let's just say that we all had several different memberships in various names. I don't think we ever actually rented a movie from that place!

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderRAM

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I remember registering for classes at the Mosque by use of index cards. I lived over top over Hard Times one semester. Shafer Court was a place to be. There was a good restaurant on one Main corner called Ruby Tuesday’s before the chain existed. I remember Lowenbrau was “in” there. We hit Stuffy’s a lot for lunch. The Lamplighter was a nice little Italian place on Lombardy for dates. Strawberry Street cafe was already an established place - too bad they are now history. I remember Going Bananas too.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
I remember registering for classes at the Mosque by use of index cards. I lived over top over Hard Times one semester. Shafer Court was a place to be. There was a good restaurant on one Main corner called Ruby Tuesday’s before the chain existed. I remember Lowenbrau was “in” there. We hit Stuffy’s a lot for lunch. The Lamplighter was a nice little Italian place on Lombardy for dates. Strawberry Street cafe was already an established place - too bad they are now history. I remember Going Bananas too.
I registered that way too. What was the place across from Monroe Towers called? It was a hotel lounge that had a dance floor. I used to go in there from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rammed

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
It was also a time when the Mosque could book big name artists. Among the bands I saw at the Mosque were Styx (grand illusion tour), the Outlaws, Foghat, J. Geils Band and Santana. Many more at the Coliseum.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I registered that way too. What was the place across from Monroe Towers called? It was a hotel lounge that had a dance floor. I used to go in there from time to time.
are you thinking the Rams Den? If aligned, wasn’t that in the Holiday Inn? A lot of bad decisions were made by athletes and administrators alike, in that joint.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
are you thinking the Rams Den? If aligned, wasn’t that in the Holiday Inn? A lot of bad decisions were made by athletes and administrators alike, in that joint.
Not sure if it was a Holiday Inn. I kind of remember it as being something like the Resident's Inn but you could be coorect. You would walk in past the front desk and down some stairs to a lounge.

Reactions: PRock

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
It was also a time when the Mosque could book big name artists. Among the bands I saw at the Mosque were Styx (grand illusion tour), the Outlaws, Foghat, J. Geils Band and Santana. Many more at the Coliseum.
Santana at the mosque was epic

Reactions: rammed

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
Anyone (older people) ever eat at Morton’s Tea House? Was around Fushee and Main. Best rolls I ever had.
and Franklin. Pickle barrell rolls are close. VCU used to offer a speech class in the basement which included a meal with the rolls.