This is the effect we have...

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
I absolutely adored the Dads! Are they still around? Posting here? And I remember the Ramones at FSG and the infamous Mosque ballroom show of Iggy Pop on Halloween. Those were the days.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I absolutely adored the Dads! Are they still around? Posting here? And I remember the Ramones at FSG and the infamous Mosque ballroom show of Iggy Pop on Halloween. Those were the days.
Well some of them might be. Brian Harvey, and his family were murdered several years back.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
I see you all are mentioning Brian Harvey. Great guy. Since we are also talking about Grace Street and the campus I saw Brian and Johnny Hott at the Hole in the Wall on Spring Street. It was an awesome show with just a drum and guitar House of Freaks style but all about having fun.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I see you all are mentioning Brian Harvey. Great guy. Since we are also talking about Grace Street and the campus I saw Brian and Johnny Hott at the Hole in the Wall on Spring Street. It was an awesome show with just a drum and guitar House of Freaks style but all about having fun.
Used to see them all the time. They were a big part of the Richmond music scene during that 81-85 era especially.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
Used to see them all the time. They were a big part of the Richmond music scene during that 81-85 era especially.
I think this was a little later than that. Bopst owned or was part owner of Hole in the Wall at the time. This show was them more goofing off than the full on band. My friend still reminds me of that show because I was in rare form. I ended up singing with them. It was really bad but everybody that night had a blast.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I think this was a little later than that. Bopst owned or was part owner of Hole in the Wall at the time.
Yeah, but Brian was already a fixture in the Richmond music scene I believe. The haze of time is probably affecting my memory of the House of Freaks era.

Reactions: AlienAiden

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
There was a good restaurant on one Main corner called Ruby Tuesday’s before the chain existed. I remember Lowenbrau was “in” there.
My girlfriend (now my wife) and I use to hang out there every Friday night, I believe in 1979-80 time period. I remember they had a drink called the "pound" which was a 16oz beer mug filled to the top with any cocktail you wished (I remember slo gin fizz being our drink of choice back in that day). It was on special on Friday nights I believe $1.99. They had some table video games, so unlike Station Break (another hang out of ours), we could drink and feed quarter after quarter into those hungry machines.

My other remembrances as others have mentioned..... where we hung out.....
Up Top Sub Shop
Mad King Ludwigs
Jade Elephant
Station Break
Newgate
Jerry's
Don's Hot Nuts
Hardee's (before it was the Red Door), first place I ever had a breakfast biscuit from a fast food joint.
Biograph for midnight movies

Kinda makes you wonder how many of us crossed paths back in those days on the 900 block.
Good times.....

Ohhh and off campus, I will admit, yes, I went to Much More, Dustins and Katie O'Leary's

Reactions: rammed

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
My girlfriend (now my wife) and I use to hang out there every Friday night, I believe in 1979-80 time period. I remember they had a drink called the "pound" which was a 16oz beer mug filled to the top with any cocktail you wished (I remember slo gin fizz being our drink of choice back in that day). It was on special on Friday nights I believe $1.99. They had some table video games, so unlike Station Break (another hang out of ours), we could drink and feed quarter after quarter into those hungry machines.

My other remembrances as others have mentioned..... where we hung out.....
Up Top Sub Shop
Mad King Ludwigs
Jade Elephant
Station Break
Newgate
Jerry's
Don's Hot Nuts
Hardee's (before it was the Red Door), first place I ever had a breakfast biscuit from a fast food joint.
Biograph for midnight movies

Kinda makes you wonder how many of us crossed paths back in those days on the 900 block.
Good times.....

Ohhh and off campus, I will admit, yes, I went to Much More, Dustins and Katie O'Leary's
Mad king Ludwig's, couldn't remember the name of that place (right next to the Jade correct ?). Dixie Diner, before it was the Texas-Wisconsin Border Cafe, what a hole. The very definition of a whisky bar.