This is the most fun VCU team I can remember*

Ram Jam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I mean 2011 was insane for March but I remember being pretty frustrated with that team coming down the stretch which is why we ended up in the first 4. Those guys are just in their own category though.

Outside of that team for that month... I'll take these kids over anyone in the past 20 years (which is when I started following VCU closely.)

Bones might be the most fun/exciting VCU player in that time span, probably pretty close with Webber. Ace is just incredible as a freshmen PG. Ward is probably the most fun big we've had in that span, Sanders was a monster but I kinda like watching Ward more... Vince is just well rounded and seems to step up when needed, and Watkins seems like he's pretty close to where Bones was last year. Also Cory Douglas is maybe my favorite VCU role player ever. I just love that guy. They shoot free throws! They pass the ball! The D is legit.

Maybe it's recency bias. Maybe it's the contrast from last years squad which was such a bummer. Who knows? This is just a super fun group of players to root for.

I feel like there is about an 80% chance Bones is in the NBA next year which will hurt, but that would still be good for the program and I think we will still be a great team. I feel pretty strongly that Watkins can give us at least 75% of what Bones does next year, hopefully more.

Anyways I'm just rambling. Go Rams!

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don't think this should take anything away from the premise of the OP, but I think context probably plays a big part... the disappointments of last year, and to a lesser extent 3 season ago, functioned to wake us up at little... plus just the general huge turd in the punchbowl of covid reality... helps the bright sides of things seem even brighter because there's higher contrast.

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
Maybe you are right, OP. The ending is so important to every story. This one really can't be judged completely until we see that!

That said, this group has tons of heart and they believe in each other. I like our chances to win a few more games.

It would be really great for these guys to take an A-10 tournament crown after they were ignored, underestimated, and dismissed by pretty much everyone.

Reactions: RAM7889

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Really like this team, but some of us old timers remember the Dana Kirk teams and JD Barnett teams. They were pretty fun to watch too. Even the early Sonny smith years were a lot of fun. But these guys have given it their all and produced when they were not supposed to and made our world a bit brighter during these rough times.

Ram Jam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
Really like this team, but some of us old timers remember the Dana Kirk teams and JD Barnett teams. They were pretty fun to watch too. Even the early Sonny smith years were a lot of fun. But these guys have given it their all and produced when they were not supposed to and made our world a bit brighter during these rough times.

Ah but what about the '62 RPI squad? Who needs a shot clock am I right?

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I've only been watching the Rams since 2006, but this is my favorite version of them. I re-watched some of the 2013 Butler game last night, which is one of our best performances of the last ten years, but this team already has a handful of Butler game-like performances. The defense is the biggest reason I think this team can do major damage this month. When they are locked in for 40 minutes like last night, they're hard for any team to beat.