This is the most fun VCU team I can remember*

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Sad that we could not pack the Stu and show these kids and staff know how much we appreciate their effort

the place would have been rocking

Unfortunately, COVID is the only reason they played in Richmond. In a normal environment, the A-10 would be playing these games in Brooklyn.

Here's to hoping Henrico County pulls off having a new arena built and the A-10 moving the conference tournament to Richmond.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Unfortunately, COVID is the only reason they played in Richmond. In a normal environment, the A-10 would be playing these games in Brooklyn.

Here's to hoping Henrico County pulls off having a new arena built and the A-10 moving the conference tournament to Richmond.
There is a going to be a new Green City website coming with lots of really cool videos. I will link it when it is up.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009

i was thinking regular season

Reactions: AlienAiden

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
To clarify my earlier comments, I have many favorite squads over the years. This version is my most favorite because of the defense, the overall skillsets, and depth. I think this team (and every team going forward) is the best built to consistently beat P5 teams in the Dance, along with sneaky mid-majors, and make the second weekend.

Ward is becoming another Tillman offensively, and will amaze a lot of people over the coming weeks with his quickly developing skillset, along with his talent defensively. BMB, MBJ, Watkins, and Banks are going to be clutch sparks off the bench in big moments. Douglas is going to shut some good P5 bigs down. And they have that FF squad level of swagger. Ace is going to be telling more coaches to call timeouts. I just love this team.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Sad that we could not pack the Stu and show these kids and staff know how much we appreciate their effort

the place would have been rocking
Yes, these guys are working so hard, it would be so great if they could have almost 8000 fans going crazy every time they played at the Stu. They deserve that!

Reactions: RAM7889

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Well, I come at this from a very different angle. I was at all those away games back then. In the early HAVOC days there was something very special about going to an away game and watching the Home fans watch in dismay when Havoc dismantled their teams. Sure, we still lost some of those games, but when it was working it was a piece of art.

That was fun.

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
Teams fail to live up to expectations (last year obviously), teams meet expectations, and sometimes teams exceed expectations...What's crazy is that 2011 was a little bit of all of that...if you recall we were meeting expectations during the year and then had some major problems down the stretch and somehow got in and the rest was history.
This year is sooo different because these young guys have sooooo drastically exceeded even the most unrealistic of fans' expectations...and they are just such a joy to watch. So much potential and gives us all so much hope for our future successes that I have to say this is the most enjoyable team I've seen in a long time, if not ever....so much Joy on the court and love for each other.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Teams fail to live up to expectations (last year obviously), teams meet expectations, and sometimes teams exceed expectations...What's crazy is that 2011 was a little bit of all of that...if you recall we were meeting expectations during the year and then had some major problems down the stretch and somehow got in and the rest was history.
This year is sooo different because these young guys have sooooo drastically exceeded even the most unrealistic of fans' expectations...and they are just such a joy to watch. So much potential and gives us all so much hope for our future successes that I have to say this is the most enjoyable team I've seen in a long time, if not ever....so much Joy on the court and love for each other.
My favorite team before this one was 2011-12 for the exact same reason - playing with house money. That year we were coming down off the Final Four high, so whatever happened was fine by me. This year we're in the middle of a global pandemic that's taken so much of regular life away ANY basketball seems like a small miracle.

Given no expectations beyond basically play hard and represent the school well, the 2011-12 squad proceeded to finish 2nd in the regular season, win the CAA tournament, and come within a shot of making the Sweet Sixteen.

Given no expectations beyond basically play hard and represent the school well, the 2020-21 squad has been one of the only teams in the country to not directly pause due to Covid-19, finished 2nd during the regular season, and are about to play in the A-10 tournament championship game. We'll see about that Sweet Sixteen, but I'm not betting against them.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
This year's team is definitely one of the toughest teams both physically & mentally. I mean just look at the long list of things this team has had to deal with
  • Rough ending to the season last year that was filled with team chemistry issues/drama...
  • Season abruptly ending due to Covid... while the team was on the court warming up for their A10 Tourney game
  • A bunch of players graduating, as well as MSS transferring.
  • An off-season with limited to no workouts up until right before the season started.
  • A lot of new faces including 4 freshmen, and 2 transfers.
  • Picked to finish 9th in the A10 Pre-Season Poll
  • Season ending injury to Jarren McAllister before the season even started
  • The Tre Clark situation... whatever happened there, which led to him transferring out.
  • Injuries to both Bones & Vince Williams
So this team has been through A LOT.... and look where its gotten them. Right back in the A10 Championship for the first time since 2016-17 & all but guaranteed another NCAA Tourney Appearance.