This year's OOC schedule

Feb 1, 2016
Is it my imagination, or is the out of conference schedule weaker this year? Last year it seemed like they did an outstanding job scheduling teams from weaker conferences, but teams that could actually win those conferences. I know it's super early, but the teams VCU has played so far (aside from LSU, of course) seem weaker than last year's slate. Jacksonville State is a pretty poor team, and Florida Gulf Coast doesn't look any better. FGC is 0-4 and has lost to St. Louis, UMBC, Dartmouth, and Mercer.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Is it my imagination, or is the out of conference schedule weaker this year? Last year it seemed like they did an outstanding job scheduling teams from weaker conferences, but teams that could actually win those conferences. I know it's super early, but the teams VCU has played so far (aside from LSU, of course) seem weaker than last year's slate. Jacksonville State is a pretty poor team, and Florida Gulf Coast doesn't look any better. FGC is 0-4 and has lost to St. Louis, UMBC, Dartmouth, and Mercer.
It is your imagination.
LSU, Emerald Coast Classic, Charleston and Wichita on the road. The OOC schedule is tough.

Feb 1, 2016
I was looking into it more, and I'm realizing that ... yes ... it's probably at least a little my imagination. I also just remembered that the Jacksonville State game was part of the Emerald Coast Classic, so VCU didn't choose that one. Looking deeper at the schedule from last year, I do think they caught some good breaks. Gardner-Webb and ODU (a game I'd sooner forget) ended up in the NCAA tourney after winning their conference tourneys. Bowling Green and Hofstra, meanwhile, got to their conference championship games.

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
Jacksonville St was forced on us by the Emerald Coast Classic. That, along with Alabama St was the "entry fee" for the guarantee of playing 2 out of 3 of FSU, Purdue, and Tennessee.

But I agree, the FGCU game looks worse on paper than Jacksonville St.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I was looking into it more, and I'm realizing that ... yes ... it's probably at least a little my imagination. I also just remembered that the Jacksonville State game was part of the Emerald Coast Classic, so VCU didn't choose that one. Looking deeper at the schedule from last year, I do think they caught some good breaks. Gardner-Webb and ODU (a game I'd sooner forget) ended up in the NCAA tourney after winning their conference tourneys. Bowling Green and Hofstra meanwhile, got to their conference championship games.
I do not know enough about every conference but who knows how it will end up. St Francis, ODU, North Texas, Jacksonville State, Missouri State, Charleston, etc etc could all challenge for the top in their conferences. So far the only team that looked lost has been Jacksonville State. It will be interesting to see what they do against Purdue.

Feb 1, 2016
I do not know enough about every conference but who knows how it will end up. St Francis, ODU, North Texas, Jacksonville State, Missouri State, Charleston, etc etc could all challenge for the top in their conferences. So far the only team that looked lost has been Jacksonville State.
I feel like St. Francis could make some noise in the NEC. They took Richmond into overtime (which may say more about Richmond, but who knows) and have won their last two games since then. The competition in the NEC isn't exactly top notch.

Reactions: mrgeode

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I feel like St. Francis could make some noise in the NEC. They took Richmond into overtime (which may say more about Richmond, but who knows) and have won their last two games since then. The competition in the NEC isn't exactly top notch.
I think if VCU can continue to do well the OOC schedule sets them up nicely when the NCAA selection committee evaluates SOS. It will hurt if VCU drops some and there are some tough games through the end of December.

Reactions: RAM7889
Feb 1, 2016
I think if VCU can continue to do well the OOC schedule sets them up nicely when the NCAA selection committee evaluates SOS. Not gonna matter if VCU drops some and there are some tough games through the end of December.
All true. Ideally they pick up at least one quality win at the ECC and then beat Charleston, Wichita St. and ODU. After that, barring an extremely unexpectedly poor conference run, they should be set for an at large bid. That win against LSU was massive for that.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
All true. Ideally they pick up at least one quality win at the ECC and then beat Charleston, Wichita St. and ODU. After that, barring an extremely unexpectedly poor conference run, they should be set for an at large bid. That win against LSU was massive for that.
ODU hasn't looked terrible, Charleston should be at the top of the CAA, the Shockers will almost certainly be a top 100 NET road game, and I thought Missouri State didn't look bad at all against Xavier. I agree the home slate outside of LSU isn't as exciting as we might have hoped, but I think that's mostly having two return games in different home and home series. We always have tomato cans and tune-up games.

The good news is that, if things break right, we could have five or more games against A-10 opponents in the top 50 of the NET. Not too shabby.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Not sure why posters want to put LSU on a pedestal. Yes, they were ranked 23rd, but not anymore. It's not like VCU knocked off some blue blood P5 school. LSU could easily tank in the SEC this year and VCU's 2 point win at home could only look ok. Two games against Dayton could be just as critical to VCU's at-large chances. The same could be said about true road games @Charleston and @Wichita State. What VCU really needs is two quality wins next week in Florida to show the rest of the basketball world that we belong in the Top 25.

And for the record, at this point in the season, VCU is not playing for an at-large bid. The A-10 season hasn't even begun. At this point, it's a "take no prisoners" approach to each and every game. This team is talented and deep. Conjuring up back door scenarios to get into the NCAA's is not an option at this point.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Not sure why posters want to put LSU on a pedestal. Yes, they were ranked 23rd, but not anymore. It's not like VCU knocked off some blue blood P5 school. LSU could easily tank in the SEC this year and VCU's 2 point win at home could only look ok. Two games against Dayton could be just as critical to VCU's at-large chances. The same could be said about true road games @Charleston and @Wichita State. What VCU really needs is two quality wins next week in Florida to show the rest of the basketball world that we belong in the Top 25.

And for the record, at this point in the season, VCU is not playing for an at-large bid. The A-10 season hasn't even begun. At this point, it's a "take no prisoners" approach to each and every game. This team is talented and deep. Conjuring up back door scenarios to get into the NCAA's is not an option at this point.
Mostly true, but I think ppl are expecting more from LSU because (a) they were ranked (and likely will be again) (b) they were picked to finish 3d in the SEC and (c) they have 3 NBA players on their roster. Not sure we can say that about anyone else on the schedule. True, they could tank; so could we. Probably, neither of us does.

Reactions: PRock

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Mostly true, but I think ppl are expecting more from LSU because (a) they were ranked (and likely will be again) (b) they were picked to finish 3d in the SEC and (c) they have 3 NBA players on their roster. Not sure we can say that about anyone else on the schedule. True, they could tank; so could we. Probably, neither of us does.
They were picked 4th in the SEC.