This year's OOC schedule

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I disagree. Even with the A10 looking stronger this season than last, this is the time of year to build that at-large resume. We're not likely to play a team in the A10 that's as strong as LSU, Tennessee, or Purdue. If you win some or all of those, you've set yourself up very well and can then try to improve your seeding during the conference regular season and later in the conference tournament. This is the life of a team in a mid-major conference. There aren't many (or any) opportunities during the conference schedule to pick up a Quad 1 win. And, as has been mentioned before, the top seed in the A10 rarely wins the conference tournament to get the auto-bid. The league makes sure of that. ;)
I sorta get what he was going for though. By talking about at-large bids now, it can be read that people are already giving up on winning the conference tournament and getting the auto bid. That's not what's happening, but it can look like that. Of course, it also goes the other way: by downplaying OOC performance, you can come of as though you're giving up on an at-large and pinning your hopes on Brooklyn.

If the NET is going to be the standard and the formula largely goes unchanged, the A10 should figure out how to exploit that in their scheduling. Somehow teams atop the SoCon were having like 4-6 Q1 games because they were playing everyone twice, so because a top-70 team on the road qualifies, you were getting games against East Tennessee State and Furman counting as Q1. Which seems janky on the surface.

Reactions: mrgeode

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Somehow teams atop the SoCon were having like 4-6 Q1 games because they were playing everyone twice, so because a top-70 team on the road qualifies, you were getting games against East Tennessee State and Furman counting as Q1. Which seems janky on the surface.
Road teams vs the 75th ranked team have the same record historically as home teams vs 30th ranked team. It also gives more Q1 chances to non-power schools. Under the old system, Wofford never would have received a 7 seed, which they absolutely deserved. They would have beaten Kentucky if Fletcher McGee didn't have the worst shooting game of his career.

Reactions: TampaKAP

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
I sorta get what he was going for though. By talking about at-large bids now, it can be read that people are already giving up on winning the conference tournament and getting the auto bid. That's not what's happening, but it can look like that. Of course, it also goes the other way: by downplaying OOC performance, you can come of as though you're giving up on an at-large and pinning your hopes on Brooklyn.

If the NET is going to be the standard and the formula largely goes unchanged, the A10 should figure out how to exploit that in their scheduling. Somehow teams atop the SoCon were having like 4-6 Q1 games because they were playing everyone twice, so because a top-70 team on the road qualifies, you were getting games against East Tennessee State and Furman counting as Q1. Which seems janky on the surface.
A program at VCU’s level plays the entire season to get an at-large bid (i.e. be at-large worthy). Everything we do is for that one moment on Selection Sunday. It is, and always will be, Plan A and the driving force behind our 31+ game, 4-month march to Madness. In an ideal world, we have such a successful regular season that an at-large bid is essentially wrapped up even prior to the A-10 tourney (like last yr). You work, plan, schedule tough, and hopefully win often enough to put together a no-brainer “at-large worthy” resume for Selection Sunday. That is the realistic goal of any/every Top 75 program.

The conference tournament title (i.e. the auto bid) is a fallback plan (Plan B) in case things go awry during the regular season (see St Louis last yr, Davidson the yr before). It’s the backdoor entrance to the dance (i.e. a second chance) for the regular season underachievers. The auto-bid option will always be there every year for every school in every conference no matter how the previous 31 games played out.

Make no bones about it..........everything we do is targeted at having “an at-large lock resume” on Selection Sunday. Since we have joined the A-10, we have been (or would have been) an at-large entry every year but one (2017-18). If nothing else, at least we know the (at-large scheduling/performance) formula.

The odds will always be against VCU winning the conference tournament (VCU vs the field). It’s tough for anyone to win 3 games in 3 days on a neutral court against good competition no matter who you are and especially if you know you’re already dancing (and your opponents MUST win to dance).

The goal EVERY YEAR: Get the job done in the first 31 games (i.e. be an at-large lock) and sit back and enjoy the A-10 tourney (like last yr), win or lose. That’s nirvana.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
A program at VCU’s level plays the entire season to get an at-large bid (i.e. be at-large worthy). Everything we do is for that one moment on Selection Sunday. It is, and always will be, Plan A and the driving force behind our 31+ game, 4-month march to Madness. In an ideal world, we have such a successful regular season that an at-large bid is essentially wrapped up even prior to the A-10 tourney (like last yr). You work, plan, schedule tough, and hopefully win often enough to put together a no-brainer “at-large worthy” resume for Selection Sunday. That is the realistic goal of any/every Top 75 program.

The conference tournament title (i.e. the auto bid) is a fallback plan (Plan B) in case things go awry during the regular season (see St Louis last yr, Davidson the yr before). It’s the backdoor entrance to the dance (i.e. a second chance) for the regular season underachievers. The auto-bid option will always be there every year for every school in every conference no matter how the previous 31 games played out.

Make no bones about it..........everything we do is targeted at having “an at-large lock resume” on Selection Sunday. Since we have joined the A-10, we have been (or would have been) an at-large entry every year but one (2017-18). If nothing else, at least we know the (at-large scheduling/performance) formula.

The odds will always be against VCU winning the conference tournament (VCU vs the field). It’s tough for anyone to win 3 games in 3 days on a neutral court against good competition no matter who you are and especially if you know you’re already dancing (and your opponents MUST win to dance).

The goal EVERY YEAR: Get the job done in the first 31 games (i.e. be an at-large lock) and sit back and enjoy the A-10 tourney (like last yr), win or lose. That’s nirvana.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: RESRam

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009

Well, if it is VCU vs the field, then mow down the field. Good point.

-----------------
GO RAMS!
Beat Eagles!!

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Is it my imagination, or is the out of conference schedule weaker this year? Last year it seemed like they did an outstanding job scheduling teams from weaker conferences, but teams that could actually win those conferences. I know it's super early, but the teams VCU has played so far (aside from LSU, of course) seem weaker than last year's slate. Jacksonville State is a pretty poor team, and Florida Gulf Coast doesn't look any better. FGC is 0-4 and has lost to St. Louis, UMBC, Dartmouth, and Mercer.
SteveMM, dont do it bro, dont do it. You are not allowed to even suggest that VCU doesnt have a "brutal" schedule. To do so is akin to heresy. Fwiw, this years schedule to me is the same old couple tough 20-25 teams, a few names who are down, and about 4-5 teams we are favored to run out to the Stu/arena.

We'd really have to take a look at the end of the year.