Thought experiment about coaching

Which coach would you have liked to see have a decade at VCU and why?

• Jeff Capel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dana Kirk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 2, 2012
Hey;
So the word is UR might extend Mooney,
This got me thinking, which coach would you have most liked to see have a 10 year stint here at VCU, which one did you think would have been best for the program and why?
Current coach is disqualified in this alternate history.

Dec 2, 2012
Why did I vote for Shaka?
While not a great X and O man, he was able to lead a program.
He found good coaches to execute his vision, he could recruit, and he had enough pull in the city that he could have easily ended up in office.
Was he a one trick pony who could not adapt, and would his act get old?
Nope, I think he would have found more good coaches had he stayed to help him over rough patches, and I feel a lot of his problem in Austin was getting swallowed up, he is better as a big fish in a little pond.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
As one of the "younger" generation of VCU fans.... I had to narrow my choices between Grant, Shaka & Wade (since MR is not on the list).

To me it's between Grant & Shaka. Both are great coaches in their own unique ways.... and I liked watching both coaches.... but I ended voting for Shaka.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I voted for Grant, though my vote easily could’ve gone toward Shaka. Grant can clearly both coach and recruit if given the opportunity (of course, he has to give himself that opportunity and not bolt for a bad SEC job). What we’re seeing Grant accomplish at Dayton, he likely could have done here had he not bolted to Alabama.

Shaka can coach but seems to need a good group of assistants to really shine.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I voted for Grant, though my vote easily could’ve gone toward Shaka. Grant can clearly both coach and recruit if given the opportunity (of course, he has to give himself that opportunity and not bolt for a bad SEC job). What we’re seeing Grant accomplish at Dayton, he likely could have done here had he not bolted to Alabama.

Certainly would've been interesting to see how far he took our Final 4 team.... most of whom he recruited.

Would that rough February have happened? And how far we would've gone after that?

Though I will say, I'm very thankful for Shaka because of a lot of players he brought in.... but 2 in particular.... Briante & Treveon.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012

This is also why I voted for Grant, along with his fatherly death stare. I think we would have consistently had balanced rosters of good guards and good legit big men, with his blend of good coaching. That continuity would have taken us to more Sweet 16s at the minimum by now.

Reactions: Nic

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
On this date Tim Pearrell reported that VCU AD Ed McLaughlin says this a.m. that "Shaka Smart is our men's basketball coach" after erroneous reports about Marquette job on Monday."

Ha! That Marquette thing was so funny when it was happening.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This is also why I voted for Grant, along with his fatherly death stare. I think we would have consistently had balanced rosters of good guards and good legit big men, with his blend of good coaching. That continuity would have taken us to more Sweet 16s at the minimum by now.
Grant or Smart could have taken us to multiple Sweet 16's, and probably Wade as well. Having any of those guys stick around for that long would have been a game changer.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Feb 14, 2011
I voted for Grant as well, well balanced approach and valued the basics of the game. Capel came in a very close second. Shaka was up there too, more so for the fun culture he implemented but I'm not a big fan of "small ball". Relatively speaking, that whole list (Kirk was before my time) is pretty darn impressive, all had a pretty different mentality with great results for their time.

Reactions: LQuarles

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I believe the same about Mike
I agree, of the previous 3 coaches Coach Smart was the only one that received offers to leave and turned them down year after year and we all saw what that did for the program. Once that starts to happen with Coach Rhoades and people see that he can get it done and is here for the long haul the same things will happen again.