Thoughts brought to mind by the KU/KState scuffle

Dec 2, 2012
Just my two cents, and I will be open to persuasion.

I don't have an issue with a defender trying to steal the ball and a little pride back from a team with a big lead in the last few seconds of the game.

As long as you don't play dirty there is no rule that says you have to let the other team run out the clock, and going for steals are part of the game.

I didn't have an issue with the KU center hustling back to block the shot last night, it's basketball and you have a right to play defense.

I do have an issue with him following the other player out of bounds and standing over him, should have been a T, and depending on what he said, an ejection.

Obviously there is a lot of bad blood between the teams that contributed to what happened,

I'll also point out that VCU lead 71 to 51 on January 10th, 2014 when Briante Weber made the sliding steal against Mason, and no one complained (that I ever heard, Mason fans might feel different.)

The coaches should have had better control of their team, the the KU player did blow off his coaches order to let time run out.

I also thought it was a bad idea for the refs to put time back on the clock for the tech foul shots.

Obviously I was watching VCU so I didn't watch the KU/K State game, just saw a recap.

Oh, if the suspensions come down and one or both teams can't field a team or has to forfeit, that seems fair to me and they should not stagger the suspensions to enable this sort of behaviour.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2
Apr 21, 2009
The K State player had no reason to try and steal the ball when the game was essentially over with 5 seconds left. What was he trying to prove?

Think of it another way, how would you have felt if Kansas tried going for a alley-oop dunk with 5 seconds left instead? Would you say “well the game wasn't over” or call that poor sportsmanship?

KSU tried to be an ass at the end and KU was an ass back. KSU then got mad about it and cleared the bench. This was a situation KSU brought on themselves.

Dec 2, 2012
The K State player had no reason to try and steal the ball when the game was essentially over with 5 seconds left. What was he trying to prove?

Think of it another way, how would you have felt if Kansas tried going for a alley-oop dunk with 5 seconds left instead? Would you say “well the game wasn't over” or call that poor sportsmanship?
I don't think a steal is the same as an alley oop. The other team has the ball, yu try to take it away and score, that's all a steal is.

I hear people complain all the time about players quitting, what makes it OK to quit?

Reactions: ISwamRam

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
To me the issue was the Kansas guy hovering over the K State guy at the end.... and the other K State players (not the one who got blocked) took offense to it from what I could see initially.

The K State guy wanted to go for the steal at a meaningless time... ok so be it.... the Kansas guy went for the block.... cool no problem. Turn about is fair play. If it had ended just like that, I don't think there woulda been any issues.

But then the Kansas guy went & hovered over the K State guy staring down on him.... most players/teammates don't take to kindly to that kind of stuff.

I agree that the K State guy had no reason to really steal the ball.... cause no matter what he does he can't score 20+ pts off one shot. Not unless every Kansas player got 2 Technicals (and K state gets no technical) & he knocks down all the FTs.

Apr 21, 2009
In our case with Mason, when Mason rolled the ball to keep the clock from running, they indicated they were not content to lay down and thus availed themselves to a standard possession; and Bri do what Bri does. That's why its a bit different than Kansas- KState last night. Kansas player made no effort to do anything except dribble the ball out. If he had started running a play, fine, steal the ball.

Dec 2, 2012
To me the issue was the Kansas guy hovering over the K State guy at the end.... and the other K State players (not the one who got blocked) took offense to it from what I could see initially.

The K State guy wanted to go for the steal at a meaningless time... ok so be it.... the Kansas guy went for the block.... cool no problem. Turn about is fair play. If it had ended just like that, I don't think there woulda been any issues.

But then the Kansas guy went & hovered over the K State guy staring down on him.... most players/teammates don't take to kindly to that kind of stuff.

I agree that the K State guy had no reason to really steal the ball.... cause no matter what he does he can't score 20+ pts off one shot. Not unless every Kansas player got 2 Technicals (and K state gets no technical) & he knocks down all the FTs.
I pretty much agree with this.

Hey, when you're a coach and you have a 20 point lead, do the coaches communicate with each other? Does one coach look over at the other and say "Hey, want to just run this out" and the other coach says "Yeah sure, we'll get you next time."?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
In our case with Mason, when Mason rolled the ball to keep the clock from running, they indicated they were not content to lay down and thus availed themselves to a standard possession; and Bri do what Bri does. That's why its a bit different than Kansas- KState last night. Kansas player made no effort to do anything except dribble the ball out. If he had started running a play, fine, steal the ball.
While I agree with what you said.... I think everything woulda been fine if the Kansas guy didn't hover over the K State player on the ground after the block.

The K State player felt compelled to steal the ball & go for a dunk/layup... w/e.... that's well within his right (albeit foolish). Just like it was well within the Kansas player's right to go up there & block the f### out of it.

If the Kansas guy didn't hover over the K State guy I don't think the scuffle happens honestly.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014

KSU tried to be an ass at the end and KU was an ass back. KSU then got mad about it and cleared the bench. This was a situation KSU brought on themselves.
No. I don't buy it. A bench clearing brawl over this little thing? I agree the K State kid was a d..k, but those guys have to be bigger than that. What do you figure the kids in the stands took away from their nice evening at the game with mom and dad?

Mar 2, 2014
No. I don't buy it. A bench clearing brawl over this little thing? I agree the K State kid was a d..k, but those guys have to be bigger than that. What do you figure the kids in the stands took away from their nice evening at the game with mom and dad?
"Basketball is cool, especially the fighting!"

Reactions: Ramdog and DNB