Thoughts on Switching Up the Lineups?

Feb 3, 2011
There are many posts about the chemistry of our team and having such a deep squad. I wanted to get everyone's opinions now that we are in the new year about who should be out on the floor with who? Every year we try to predict who should be the starting 5 and who should play with who. This year I thought it was going to be one of the easiest to predict who the starting 5 would be and who would come off the bench. Granted we do a lot of quick changes since we are so deep but who should be the starting 5? Of course at first it was a no brainier that Marcus, SIlva, Vann,Jenkins, and Simms/Crowfield were going to be the guys. They should be since the experience and chemistry they have together.

However I am starting to have second thoughts on who should be in at what time and how much playing time. Our defense is awesome and those guys are some of the best at it. However even with all the experienced players playing our offense is kind of like it was last year. Streaky and spurts where our defense is keeping us close but we dont score for a while...Then we get our young guys in there and the offense looks to have another gear and actually is scoring more then the seniors/starters. Now I am not saying that we should sit our seniors/juniors more because they have spurts where they are great on both sides of the floor. However I feel when we start playing really good teams and we cant force turnovers, its going a tough outing like some of the big games last year. Sure these last few teams we have played have not been good and that may mess up how good/spark these younger guys are giving us on offense but it may be time to mix more of the young guys with the older guys.

All that said it can be a little bit of a curse to have this much depth(yeah I know that is crazy to say) but a lot of times we take out guys quickly when they are about to get hot or mix and match so much because we want to tire the other team out it just falls apart.

Once again I am not saying we should sit our seniors and let the young guys start because they are better because of course they are not. Plus when we play better teams time will tell but they have given us something we have been missing on the offensive side of the ball and it will be interesting to see how we mix and match going forward.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Of course going to be a lot going both ways but that is why we have this discussion now and not in March when it is too late.

Jul 27, 2017
The lineup I want to see a lot of is Evans, Bones, DJ, Vince, and MSS. I think toward the end of the year this will be the group that ends close games. Bones brings so much offensively and Vince brings the extra rebounding and toughness we sometimes lack.

Bones is still learning/improving and Vince is still getting in shape. But I think those 5 guys getting 25-28 minutes a game and playing more as a group will make us a more dangerous team.

May 4, 2012
A PG, C and 3 wings is one wing too many.
I wish Vince was healthy because he has enough size for the 4 but hes not so bring Ward in, maybe split time with Vince. It will liberate MSS which tets back to having an inside out game in halfcourt which we will be in for our tougher contests.

Reactions: senor ram

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Honestly I don't know if I want to make any changes to the line up....

Sure IV is struggling to find his shots go in... but he's still doing well in other areas.... rebounding, assists, defense.... and when he gets there.... the FT line.

Malik is out with an injury or as the op said you could rotate him & Simms. Douglas was out last night so that obviously gave Ward some more time on the court behind MSS. Both of them should be back soon. I heard a few people at the game last night say that Douglas was only out for last night.... so we'll see if that holds up come Sunday at GMU.

Bones, Curry & Vince have been playing really good as of late.... so I could see where people would say they want to see one or more of these guys start.... but I like having that spark come in off the bench.

And remember a few games ago we were talking about DJ's struggles shooting after some rough FG% in the odu (1-6), Missouri state (1-12) & even the Wichita state game (3-9)… but the last 2 games he's bounced back pretty nicely with a 5-11 (all 3's) game against Loyola, and 3 of 5 last night. That said, I have no doubt IV will get going again soon. I don't think benching him will help the cause, and mentally may do more harm than good.

Feb 14, 2011
Honestly I don't know if I want to make any changes to the line up....

Sure IV is struggling to find his shots go in... but he's still doing well in other areas.... rebounding, assists, defense.... and when he gets there.... the FT line.
IV's "struggles" reminds me a lot of Rob Brandenburg. Contributed in so many other area's of the game even when he was having those dreaded cold scoring patches. Jesse Pellot-Rosa too.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
IV's "struggles" reminds me a lot of Rob Brandenburg. Contributed in so many other area's of the game even when he was having those dreaded cold scoring patches. Jesse Pellot-Rosa too.
Bradford Burgess in his Sr year at times also. I remember one game we won where he only scored 2 points, realizing how bright our future was going to be at the time.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
The lineup I want to see a lot of is Evans, Bones, DJ, Vince, and MSS. I think toward the end of the year this will be the group that ends close games. Bones brings so much offensively and Vince brings the extra rebounding and toughness we sometimes lack.

Bones is still learning/improving and Vince is still getting in shape. But I think those 5 guys getting 25-28 minutes a game and playing more as a group will make us a more dangerous team.
I agree with this lineup. However, Kel "They Call Me Mr" Simms has been a revelation. I also think IV breaks out of his shooting slump soon (really soon, he's a tough matchup for Mason).

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp

Goop

Top Member
Nov 27, 2010
Not sure how popular this will be, but I’d love to see Bones get the start at point and move Evans to the 2. Have IV or Simms be the 6th man for a few games and see how it pans out. We have to do something about these slow game starts now before we get too deep into conference play.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
I'd be nervous doing anything drastic to the starting lineup but I'm very comfortable shifting minutes away from those with declining production to those that are trending upward. Vann is lethal at the line (84%) and the rim. The trouble is he's not getting to either enough. It's time to recognize the three ball is not his shot, take it away as an option, and send him to the glass. If he attacks whistles will go his way and the fog will clear. Otherwise, sprinkle in more Williams, Curry, and Hyland because good things happen in the scoring column when they are on the floor and it's aesthetically pleasing to watch them grind.

Of course, we could just wait until we play Dayton at home to switch up the whole darn lineup thereby throwing their scouting report out the window. We should count ourselves lucky to be openly debating the allocation of minutes given our overall record. There are many other fan bases that would gladly switch places with us. I'm intrigued to discover if our best ten is better than the other A10s best 5-7.

May 4, 2012
Not sure how popular this will be, but I’d love to see Bones get the start at point and move Evans to the 2. Have IV or Simms be the 6th man for a few games and see how it pans out. We have to do something about these slow game starts now before we get too deep into conference play.
Whos backup PG ?