Thoughts on Switching Up the Lineups?

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
So, explain to me then why Vann is still starting. His stats, and the eye test, just do not justify it. I'm not saying sitting him for the entire game, but he definitely looks like he needs a wake up call. His play recently reeks of an opportunity for others to step up.
Not arguing...just haven’t really seen a much better option.

Mar 2, 2014
Vann gets his shots, he just hasn't been able to make his shots. Not sure what he would offer off the bench if he is having problems scoring. We sub in and out so much I don't think it matters who starts.

Apr 20, 2009
Vann draws the defensive assignment of guarding the opponent's biggest offensive threat from the four wing positions. Vann is usually no bigger or smaller in stature. The opposition is making him fight through screens, etc. to accomplish his assignment. This could be causing some of the lack of production on the offensive side. His defense is what Vann contributes to winning.

jcuecker

Top Member
Mar 23, 2011
I just want to say that the fact that we have the luxury of having this thread is one of the biggest reasons I love VCU basketball. We have been incredibly deep for so many years now that I almost take it for granted but then I see other teams that play 6-7 core guys and everyone else gets spot minutes...just so much to be thankful for with this program. I love that we have freshman challenging some Seniors. These are the best kinds of "problems" to have :D Year after year we have basically enough talent to have two competitive D1 cores. It's a big reason why kids wants to come play ball at VCU. I for one love it!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2011
I just want to say that the fact that we have the luxury of having this thread is one of the biggest reasons I love VCU basketball. We have been incredibly deep for so many years now that I almost take it for granted but then I see other teams that play 6-7 core guys and everyone else gets sports minutes...just so much to be thankful for with this program. I love that we have freshman challenging some Seniors. These are the best kinds of "problems" to have :D Year after year we have basically enough talent to have two competitive D1 cores. It's a big reason why kids wants to come play ball at VCU. I for one love it!
SPOT ON! When fans questioning why IV is a "starter" one of the best defenders on the team, that just about any mid major program would value, we have it pretty darn good. It seems to me IV's game is better when he's relaxed, having fun. He's been looking a little "tight" the past few weeks and maybe the pressure he is putting on himself may be impacting his offensive game.

Reactions: jcuecker

Finance Ram 10

Top Member
Jan 11, 2013
The lineup I want to see a lot of is Evans, Bones, DJ, Vince, and MSS. I think toward the end of the year this will be the group that ends close games. Bones brings so much offensively and Vince brings the extra rebounding and toughness we sometimes lack.

Bones is still learning/improving and Vince is still getting in shape. But I think those 5 guys getting 25-28 minutes a game and playing more as a group will make us a more dangerous team.
Simms > Vince.

It's not even an argument worth having, but Simms is delivering every single game he's out there and being defensively savvy. Not sure how Vince replaces him.

Phil Braswell

Top Member
Jun 24, 2015
Simms has played great this season. His offense is greatly needed since Evans and IV has been in a slump. I know Simms picks up a lot of fouls and his defense is average but I still think he has earned the right to start. Evans looked bad again. I think he must be hurt. IV picked up his game and played hard. I was glad to see that. I love Bones and I like him starting at the point but he needs to find a way to draw some fouls.

We had once again too many TO's but I thought we had our best game of the season defensively. It looked like we put same new stuff in our half court D. As the season goes on, we probably will get less out of our full court press besides wearing out our opponents. Once again, I loved the fact our players got after JMU. I like our intensity. If we play like that the rest of the season, we should be regular season champs again. Also, I did like how we moved and passed the ball on offense.

Feb 3, 2011
Yeah I wanted to post it before the GMU game and just see if it changes for anyone or if MR makes his own changes from what we have seen. I love Vann and he is a great defender but man is biggest strength on offense(attacking to the hole) is not even there so far. His 3 has always been streaky but he was always great on being the one guy with Marcus that was not afraid to attack the hoop and get the defense to pack in more. Vann should play a lot still because he is a great player but think it may be time to switch it up and get more Bones/Marcus with Jenkins as he did some last weekend.

Also I hope nobody thinks Simms should be not start or get less minutes. If anyone has improved every year it is him. He does a little bit of everything for us now(shoots the 3 a lot better than in the past, drives to the hoop, court awareness, etc.) I dont think his defense is that bad either and we need him out there to make some shots(never thought I would want him shooting the 3 over Vann, Marcus, and Jenkins) but he has earned it.

Jul 27, 2017
Simms > Vince.

It's not even an argument worth having, but Simms is delivering every single game he's out there and being defensively savvy. Not sure how Vince replaces him.
I like Simms a lot and he is playing great. He's deserves the minutes he is getting. I agree it is not an argument worth having because really they do not play the same position. Vince is a stretch 4, Simms is a guard. We have been starting four guards. We will be fine with an undersized lineup the rest of conference play but if we make the tournament we will need the best version of Vince to make a deep run.

Reactions: mrgeode
Nov 26, 2017
I'm still going to be the unpopular poster on these boards. It past time to sit Vann. He had 4 points, 0 rebounds and 2 turnovers today in over 23 minutes of play. It's way past time for "next man up". Maybe some bench time will jump start him down the stretch. If VCU wants to make a deep run in March, They HAVE to have positive production from Vann. Right now his poor offense is also impacting his defense.
I agree and his body language has to be setting a bad example for the youngsters.

Jan 6, 2020
Finally joined after years of just reading and first post - sorry for the long one haha but long time Ram basketball fan. I was going to write in the GMU thread, but figured here was better.

I respect MR for holding everyone on the team to the same standard. My guess is that whatever had him not start was something like "late curfew" the night before. He's back starting Sat, so clearly it wasn't a massive issue. Now, for everyone on this thread saying lets start bones, the time is here...LOL what are you talking about? (and I LOVE BONES) ME is a 1966 point CAREER SCORER, he has started 114 games in his career, pre season all A10 and he has battled multiple Achilles injuries to get BACK to Ramnation as quickly as possible and do what he does best...be the head of the snake for that D and actually get them running an offense! If you think Bones deserves to start over ME right now, you're probably the same person who looks at a stat sheet of points and rebounds and defines a good game by that. ME has not scored as much as this year, but let's think about his job now...he's not needed to score like last year. He's there to settle them down and get the offense going. When we RUN our offense, we get GOOD SHOTS!! You have an absolute animal down low working hard as heck in MSS that gets doubled almost every game - this spreads the offense out and provides good opportunity to move the ball and get a high percentage shot. VCU has one of the deepest playbooks in America. They will run sets one night that you won't see the rest of the season. It's all based off their opponent. DJ has been shooting very well and Simms...man...804 baby! What a grinder and someone who deserves everything he's gotten. He has been an incredible asset this year. You can't judge someone on how many points they score because there are stats that only show on tape the next day that only the team sees watching tape that closely. There's no stats for Vince diving across the floor, taking charges and doing what he does best - GRIND. Vann (I believe has been dealing with a rib injury since FL) generally gets the hardest D assignment of the night, so I don't care he isn't scoring. What I care about is the fact that he does his job night in and night out with no accolades and continues to help in other ways. The other night against Fordham, his last 3 ball he shot rimmed in and out...he smiled and laughed - wasn't his night. it didn't affect his D, he just knew it wasn't his night- BUT HIS D WAS UP! that's what matters . We've lost to Purdue, UT and a VERY GOOD Wichita State team (they are a PREMIER MID MAJOR IN AMERICA and their history is just as impressive as VCUs). The line up I love is Bones, ME, MSS, DJ, Simms during the game. It gives ME the ability to come off screens instead of initiating that run through motion and putting him into the corner, it also gives bones the ability to set that high pick and roll and depending on if the D come under or chase over...dish to MSS with his (yes NBA next level vision) or space to pull up if they go under MSS screen. It also leaves Simms and DJ in a shooters position. Look at our 3pt percentage on ASSISTED BASKETS...(no dribble and pull up) - I love Curry and his progress and I can't wait for Crow to get back. Crow is the definition of a team guy. Ward will be a BEAST once we get some weight on him.Let's remember that Ace Baldwin arrives next year and Bones will move to the 2 - that will be SCARY. I also don't care about us crashing 5 when we get a shot up - i'd rather 4 back to stop any type of long rebound or transition. Their half court trap/man to man is ELITE. We'll D you up all day, but we do not want to give up trash buckets. MAKE THE OPPONENT WORK AND GET FRUSTRATED! Okay -I've rambled enough....Big one this weekend. BEAT RHODE ISLAND. GO RAMNATION.

Aug 7, 2012
Simms has made 13 three pointers over the last 7 games while shooting 39% (13-33). That’s been huge for us since Crowfield went down. The only game we lost in that stretch was the one game Simms didn’t make a 3.

Other guys over that stretch:
Bones 12-24 (50%)
Simms 13-33 (39%)
Jenkins 13-38 (34%)
Evans 6-22 (27%)
Williams 3-10 (30%)
Curry 2-10 (20%)
Vann 2-12 (16%)
Crowfield 3-3 (100%) - 1 game

Bones, Jenkins, and Simms are our only guys making more than one three pointer a game since coming back from Florida. Hopefully, Crowfield comes back soon (he’s 10-20 on the season) and Evans can get his shot back on track (he was 17-35 in the first 8 games).

Reactions: mrgeode
May 5, 2009
Finally joined after years of just reading and first post - sorry for the long one haha but long time Ram basketball fan. I was going to write in the GMU thread, but figured here was better.

I respect MR for holding everyone on the team to the same standard. My guess is that whatever had him not start was something like "late curfew" the night before. He's back starting Sat, so clearly it wasn't a massive issue. Now, for everyone on this thread saying lets start bones, the time is here...LOL what are you talking about? (and I LOVE BONES) ME is a 1966 point CAREER SCORER, he has started 114 games in his career, pre season all A10 and he has battled multiple Achilles injuries to get BACK to Ramnation as quickly as possible and do what he does best...be the head of the snake for that D and actually get them running an offense! If you think Bones deserves to start over ME right now, you're probably the same person who looks at a stat sheet of points and rebounds and defines a good game by that. ME has not scored as much as this year, but let's think about his job now...he's not needed to score like last year. He's there to settle them down and get the offense going. When we RUN our offense, we get GOOD SHOTS!! You have an absolute animal down low working hard as heck in MSS that gets doubled almost every game - this spreads the offense out and provides good opportunity to move the ball and get a high percentage shot. VCU has one of the deepest playbooks in America. They will run sets one night that you won't see the rest of the season. It's all based off their opponent. DJ has been shooting very well and Simms...man...804 baby! What a grinder and someone who deserves everything he's gotten. He has been an incredible asset this year. You can't judge someone on how many points they score because there are stats that only show on tape the next day that only the team sees watching tape that closely. There's no stats for Vince diving across the floor, taking charges and doing what he does best - GRIND. Vann (I believe has been dealing with a rib injury since FL) generally gets the hardest D assignment of the night, so I don't care he isn't scoring. What I care about is the fact that he does his job night in and night out with no accolades and continues to help in other ways. The other night against Fordham, his last 3 ball he shot rimmed in and out...he smiled and laughed - wasn't his night. it didn't affect his D, he just knew it wasn't his night- BUT HIS D WAS UP! that's what matters . We've lost to Purdue, UT and a VERY GOOD Wichita State team (they are a PREMIER MID MAJOR IN AMERICA and their history is just as impressive as VCUs). The line up I love is Bones, ME, MSS, DJ, Simms during the game. It gives ME the ability to come off screens instead of initiating that run through motion and putting him into the corner, it also gives bones the ability to set that high pick and roll and depending on if the D come under or chase over...dish to MSS with his (yes NBA next level vision) or space to pull up if they go under MSS screen. It also leaves Simms and DJ in a shooters position. Look at our 3pt percentage on ASSISTED BASKETS...(no dribble and pull up) - I love Curry and his progress and I can't wait for Crow to get back. Crow is the definition of a team guy. Ward will be a BEAST once we get some weight on him.Let's remember that Ace Baldwin arrives next year and Bones will move to the 2 - that will be SCARY. I also don't care about us crashing 5 when we get a shot up - i'd rather 4 back to stop any type of long rebound or transition. Their half court trap/man to man is ELITE. We'll D you up all day, but we do not want to give up trash buckets. MAKE THE OPPONENT WORK AND GET FRUSTRATED! Okay -I've rambled enough....Big one this weekend. BEAT RHODE ISLAND. GO RAMNATION.
Sorry. I am not going to read all of this. Do you believe breaking it up in paragraphs?