Thoughts

1. First I have to give credit to our opponents. Great game played by SFA. Probably the best game I've watched in a long time, regardless of my emotional investment.

Now onto other things.

2. There was a reason I was concerned about this matchup - and not just because of SFA's (well-earned, I'll say right now) impressive record. This game was a 5/12 against a team that plays a similar style to us, and I think we got caught looking ahead a bit. Sure, last season we got a 5/12, but Akron was playing without their starting point guard and three of their key players got sick right before the game. This time around we came out of the gates sluggishly and it showed.

3. We still seem absolutely befuddled whenever a team switches to a simple 2-3 matchup zone. The last couple of possessions in OT really showed me this fact clearly. We had no ball movement whatsoever - we just dribbled and dribbled and... derp.

4. We got out-rebounded by one of the shortest teams in the entire country. I'll just leave it at that.

5. Where was Brooks in the second half? In the first half he hit a couple of key threes to keep us on the Jacks' heels... but I don't think I saw him at all after halftime. I know we missed MJ a lot down the stretch - they focused a lot on Tre and dared our other guards to make shots (which they did sporadically) - but Brooks had what seemed to be a hot hand early in the game.

And the aftermath...

5. Some people will call this season a disappointment. I can't agree with that assessment. We won a lot of games, got a single-digit seed in the NCAA Tournament, and ended the regular season ranked. Am I disappointed that we went one-and-done in the dance? Of course. But that by no means makes this season a failure.

6. During the pre-game, the analysts asked (jokingly) as the camera followed Pav in the stands whether he was our mascot. My only response was that if the analysts had seen our real mascots, they'd be washing their eyes out with bleach. :?

7. I guess now I know how it feels to have my team "upset" in the round of 64. :?

8. JeQuan Lewis is going to be one heck of a leader for this team when his time comes. He showed it to me tonight. Did he make a bone-headed play on that four-point play? Yes. But he didn't hang his head - he just went out there and kept competing. I love the energy he brings every second of the game, and once he learns how to focus and harness that energy, watch out. He's going to be something special.

9. I'm now an unbiased observer, since the teams I wanted to make deep runs (us, obviously, and Providence) are out but the team I wanted to lose early (Duke) is also out. It feels weird, to be honest.

10. Our mascot really is hideous. I mean, seriously. Just hideous. Maybe he'll suffer a debilitating injury during next season's SEAL training and we'll get Old Rodney to replace him. :?

On third... or fourth... thought, it is the curse of changing the logo mid season. Yep, definitely the logo curse... Which will be lifted as soon as the 2014-2015 season starts. And we never change logos mid season again. Because facts.
definitely_o_1865537.jpg

Even with their zone, we should have stuck to Graham attacking the rim. They had no answer for him.
The zone is designed precisely to stop players from driving to the rim. I'd say that was their answer.

VRam

Elite Member
The zone is designed precisely to stop players from driving to the rim. I'd say that was their answer.

It wasn't working between the 5 and 2 minute marks. It only worked when we just dribbled around at mid-court. In addition, we fell in love with Burgess in the corner for threes after he made a couple. Not a high percentage shot.

Warning: cliché puzzle analogy... Smart (I just realized the other day that it is one letter short of being an anagram for rams) has all the pieces, they just need to be put together.