Ticket sales down?

Dec 2, 2012
Hey;

I got an email today that from VCU Athletics that said (among other things) "Season Ticket's still available".

I honestly though all our season tickets were sold, and that the general admission tickets were all that Saxon had to buy so we kept our sell out streak.

Are ticket sales soft this year?

Does anyone else think that VCU has been more aggressive than in the past at pushing the tickets?

I knew the streak was a little soft, like bringing in the military for a game when the kids were out on winter break.

Does anyone have info or an opinion on this?

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Feb 11, 2011
I've been a season ticket holder in the past but can no longer afford to be. At $1000 for a season ticket it comes out to over $50 per game. There will inevitably be games that I can't attend due to other obligations so, assuming I won't be able to sell all of those tickets for $50, that just drives my average cost per game attended even higher. I find it much more cost effective to purchase single game tickets to games I know I can attend. Often they are much less than $50. This is the only way I can afford to attend the number of games I do.

That's my situation.

MidPen Ram

Top Member
Jan 15, 2013
It certainly feels that way. Top of section 28 (my season ticket section) has been virtually empty - even for LSU game, many seats were empty. Lady behind me had bought her ticket at the box office right before the game. A review of ticket availability online hours before gametime for every game has revealed numerous tickets being available in upper corners.

It does feel like they've been pushing single game & mini/pick plan ticket promotions hard.

Opinion: Multiple factors at play. Game day experience just isn't what it used to be. Buzzkill media timeout promotion after buzzkill media timeout promotion all game long drains energy from the arena. The Peppas, while good, don't do anything new or novel anymore (But a media timeout of nothing but Peppas would still be better than that disaster of a TopGolf promotion). The "Final Four" novelty has worn off. I love our team, I love Coach Rhoades, and from a purely basketball/program quality standpoint I love where we are and the trajectory we are on, but we do not feel like the "hot ticket" to the casual fan that we used to be the early-mid 2010's.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamSwag and dirtywb
May 5, 2009
I've been a season ticket holder in the past but can no longer afford to be. At $1000 for a season ticket it comes out to over $50 per game. There will inevitably be games that I can't attend due to other obligations so, assuming I won't be able to sell all of those tickets for $50, that just drives my average cost per game attended even higher. I find it much more cost effective to purchase single game tickets to games I know I can attend. Often they are much less than $50. This is the only way I can afford to attend the number of games I do.

That's my situation.
That is too bad. If we are going to be a top 25 program, we need the fans to continue to support the program with their pledges. We cannot operate on a shoestring.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I wish they would end the "Sell out streak" I know other people disagree with me but in my opinion it's fake news. Yesterday was the first sell out of the season. It has to end some time. I sat up in Tommy West for the first 2 games and when they announce "Another Saxon Shoes Sellout" it is embarrassing. There are rows and rows of empty seats in nearly every section and email blasts going out till a few hours before game day about seats being available. We have no name teams (St Francis), election night and other factors at play. There is nothing to be ashamed about not having a sellout on election night in November. Let it go VCU.

May 5, 2009
I wish they would end the "Sell out streak" I know other people disagree with me but in my opinion it's fake news. Yesterday was the first sell out of the season. It has to end some time. I sat up in Tommy West for the first 2 games and when they announce "Another Saxon Shoes Sellout" it is embarrassing. There are rows and rows of empty seats in nearly every section and email blasts going out till a few hours before game day about seats being available. We have no name teams (St Francis), election night and other factors at play. There is nothing to be ashamed about not having a sellout on election night in November. Let it go VCU.
I completely agree with you.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
It also costs tons of money to run a program. We need dedicated season ticket holders.
Of course, that is why I donate. I was just stating why it is hard to sellout tickets. Notre Dame has announced that their football sellout streak is ending this weekend. People just choose to watch games online or on TV more these days.

May 5, 2009
Of course, that is why I donate. I was just stating why it is hard to sellout tickets. Notre Dame has announced that their football sellout streak is ending this weekend. People just choose to watch games online or on TV more these days.
I also donate and many on this board do also. There are others that are looking for free ticket.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I also donate and many on this board do also. There are others that are looking for free ticket.
I’m not on Facebook, but I hear the begging for free tickets happens a lot there. Costs have gone up and times are tough for a lot of people, but I find asking for free tickets from people that may be spending $100+ a seat once donations are factored in to be... interesting.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I agree that some games are more "sold out" than others. For me if they wank to keep announcing it that is fine. If it ends that is fine too. Hopefully we will get back to packing the place for every game.