Ticket sales down?

May 3, 2012
Whoa.
Please do not blame VCU for the stupid ABC laws in our Commonwealth.
The beers in the Stu proper, and the beers in the Commonwealth Room, are considered to be sold under different types of permit and there is nothing the school can do about it.
Its state law, not VCU policy.
Also, if you're at the right donor range they do go out of the way to make you feel special, just look at all the people Ed Mclaughlin schmoozes in the commonwealth room, and those he doesn't know.
If you don't feel special enough pony up the dollars and they'll find you.
I like Ed and was one of the first people to meet him. But don't ever put smooze and Ed in the same sentence. Ed talks to the same 7 people in the Commonwealth Room every game. Perhaps you are one of them.
I could care less about Ed talking to our crew. We go to hang with the people we know.
Ed basically is not organic with his interactions. He doesn't have that gene. It is what it is. Not upset with him. It's just the way it is.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I like Ed and was one of the first people to meet him. But don't ever put smooze and Ed in the same sentence. Ed talks to the same 7 people in the Commonwealth Room every game. Perhaps you are one of them.
I could care less about Ed talking to our crew. We go to hang with the people we know.
Ed basically is not organic with his interactions. He doesn't have that gene. It is what it is. Not upset with him. It's just the way it is.
I sat beside him at the KBH in Brooklyn after VCU beat UMass. I think it was VCU's 1st year in the A10. He was loving our fans acting up :lol:

Reactions: RamStrut

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Whoa.
Please do not blame VCU for the stupid ABC laws in our Commonwealth.
The beers in the Stu proper, and the beers in the Commonwealth Room, are considered to be sold under different types of permit and there is nothing the school can do about it.
Its state law, not VCU policy.
Also, if you're at the right donor range they do go out of the way to make you feel special, just look at all the people Ed Mclaughlin schmoozes in the commonwealth room, and those he doesn't know.
If you don't feel special enough pony up the dollars and they'll find you.
Think about what your post implies. If you don’t donate at a high level then there is need to acknowledge you. If the process is that transactional from the schools point of view then why wouldn’t the fans treat it the same way?

I recognize that there are probably thousands of donors and time is too short for the staff to personally interact with everyone. I just believe that there are missed opportunities that could be done to help retain the lower end donors.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I've been a season ticket holder in the past but can no longer afford to be. At $1000 for a season ticket it comes out to over $50 per game. There will inevitably be games that I can't attend due to other obligations so, assuming I won't be able to sell all of those tickets for $50, that just drives my average cost per game attended even higher. I find it much more cost effective to purchase single game tickets to games I know I can attend. Often they are much less than $50. This is the only way I can afford to attend the number of games I do.

That's my situation.
Glad to know that you can attend. We need support from all fans, and all fans should have the ability to enjoy a few games. Thanks for remaining faithful.

Reactions: RamStrut

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Think about what your post implies. If you don’t donate at a high level then there is need to acknowledge you. If the process is that transactional from the schools point of view then why wouldn’t the fans treat it the same way?

I recognize that there are probably thousands of donors and time is too short for the staff to personally interact with everyone. I just believe that there are missed opportunities that could be done to help retain the lower end donors.
Ramcounter, we disagree sometimes but I respect your comments. However, on this one you are preaching to the choir. I give enough to be noticed. However, that doesnt mean I remember when I didnt have the money to do so, and still I was as dedicated a Ram fan. I too think there are opportunities.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Say what you will about Norwood, that was definitely a strong suit of his in my opinion when compared to Ed. Both seem like nice guys, but Teague seemed more like a people person (may be too much at the end of the day).

Reactions: RESRam
May 19, 2015
I am basically a nobody in the VCU basketball social circle and I certainly do not qualify as a big donor, rabid VCU fan definitely. I walked up to Ed to introduce myself and to compliment him on the hiring of Coach Rhoades. He was very personable and seemed attentive to the conversation. Whether or not he was, it was nice that he pretended to be interested.

Oct 6, 2010
My wife and I are Foundation Donors from the original funding of the Siegel Center. It still rankles her how often senior members, Ed and Glenn Hoffman (who is no longer here) walk up our aisle saying hi to others, skipping us. Personally, I could care less and just chalk it up to he and his staff being “northerners” and not skilled in hospitality. I’m sure I’ll be excoriated for that statement. But they sure don’t seem to appreciate long term donors. They strike me as more interested in “what have you done for me lately”. We are still annual Scholarship level donors. Obviously, we do it to support our chosen school.
As a fellow Foundation Donor, I feel your pain. But look on the bright side, at least they haven't stollen your seats....yet ;)

Mar 2, 2014
1. They should’ve paid the band leader what he was worth. Rao is the highest paid state employee but they couldn’t find 30-50k extra to throw at dude and keep him motivated. Peppas fell off hard.

2.They should’ve stopped the Saxon sell out thing 2 freaking years ago. It was ALWAYS embarrassing when they announce this and it was obv not a sellout. Just spoke to the small mindedness paranoia of some in the program. So what, we don’t sellout every game.

3.With the addition of the corners, games started to take on the feel of a white wine and cheese affair for the RVA corporate elite

4. We play in the A10 which actually sucks. There are 2-3 teams worth going to see, the others are also-rans who we should never lose to and if we do, who wants to see it? Couple this with a really terrible ooc schedule this year ... No doubt if we were playing better colleges in a better conference, there would be more buzz.

5. Shaka is gone. Shaka is once in a lifetime coach / experience for VCU.
1. No way, who cares.
2.Paranoia?
3. Not sure what this means
4. What conference do you recommend that will let us in?
5. And?

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Oct 6, 2010
I will donate and get season tickets for as long as I am able. I moved from section 2 to 3 so I see it as an upward trend.Who knows what will happen with re-seating and I could wind up back in 2 again, but as I get older the goal to to eventually make it to half court.
Maybe you'll get lucky and get our old seats, seems like there's someone different in them every year or so.

Reactions: Newboy

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Ramcounter, we disagree sometimes but I respect your comments. However, on this one you are preaching to the choir. I give enough to be noticed. However, that doesnt mean I remember when I didnt have the money to do so, and still I was as dedicated a Ram fan. I too think there are opportunities.
Thank you for the kind words. Even when we have disagreed I have certainly appreciated your comments.

Speaking of opportunities. Does the young alumni program exists anymore or is there an effort to target recent grads for fundraising?

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
It certainly feels that way. Top of section 28 (my season ticket section) has been virtually empty - even for LSU game, many seats were empty. Lady behind me had bought her ticket at the box office right before the game. A review of ticket availability online hours before gametime for every game has revealed numerous tickets being available in upper corners.

It does feel like they've been pushing single game & mini/pick plan ticket promotions hard.

Opinion: Multiple factors at play. Game day experience just isn't what it used to be. Buzzkill media timeout promotion after buzzkill media timeout promotion all game long drains energy from the arena. The Peppas, while good, don't do anything new or novel anymore (But a media timeout of nothing but Peppas would still be better than that disaster of a TopGolf promotion). The "Final Four" novelty has worn off. I love our team, I love Coach Rhoades, and from a purely basketball/program quality standpoint I love where we are and the trajectory we are on, but we do not feel like the "hot ticket" to the casual fan that we used to be the early-mid 2010's.
Wow....just wow. What type of apathy is it when being a top 25 ranked team in the same city in which you live is not enough to get people interest in attending.
I will say that I think the UVa march back to national prominence has hurt sales. For a number of years there we were the top winning team in Virginia....notwithstanding the fact that UVa is in the ACC. Bandwagon fans can be pretty fickle. That, along with rising ticket/donation costs may decreased ticket purchases.
But, I have to ask.....what other sports team is there within 50 miles (I consider UVa just outside that range by just a few miles) that has the winning record that we do and attendances at national tournaments.....absolutely none. Massive sports apathy in and around the Richmond area...at least for getting off ones behind and actually attending a game.

May 3, 2012
I am basically a nobody in the VCU basketball social circle and I certainly do not qualify as a big donor, rabid VCU fan definitely. I walked up to Ed to introduce myself and to compliment him on the hiring of Coach Rhoades. He was very personable and seemed attentive to the conversation. Whether or not he was, it was nice that he pretended to be interested.
I'm not saying you said this but I never said Ed wasn't authentic in his conversations with people. You kind of hit the nail on the head. You went up to him to introduce yourself.