Ticket sales down?

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
My two cents (that's about what it is worth), I love the SC, great venue for a game, loud, crowd right on top of the floor. But let's be honest the amenities suck. Not quite as bad at GW where the concession stand is a card table, but not much better. The food it poor, the service is poor and the selection is nothing to get excited about. Don't even get me started about the Commonwealth Room. Now, none of this keeps me from coming or expecting something more than what I get for my donation. However, the casual fan might be a bit harder to please or keep. I have been coming to VCU games since 1979 and I have seen several transformations. It's time for another one.
I'll agree with you here, it took us long enough to finally have beer/wine available for the general public, but for the incredible wealth of food options in Richmond to be limited to hot dogs, bag nachos, and candy/popcorn? This is not a movie theater. If baseball stadiums can have signature food items that are nationally recognized, it's definitely time for VCU to capitalize on that type of mentality.

We have the local chef talent to be able to execute, and a good number of folks going to games would probably skip the "dinner, then game" mentality if they knew they could get good food at the game.

Granted, this is harder to accomplish in basketball where there is a small window to serve such things (pre-game, halftime) as opposed to baseball, where it doesn't matter whether you're in your seat or not, but there are ways decent food other than hot dogs and pizza could be done.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'll agree with you here, it took us long enough to finally have beer/wine available for the general public, but for the incredible wealth of food options in Richmond to be limited to hot dogs, bag nachos, and candy/popcorn? This is not a movie theater. If baseball stadiums can have signature food items that are nationally recognized, it's definitely time for VCU to capitalize on that type of mentality.
I guess I'm old school. I don't come to games for fine dining and to get a buzz drinking. I can enjoy a two hour game without it, but that's just me.

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I guess I'm old school. I don't come to games for fine dining and to get a buzz drinking. I can enjoy a two hour game without it, but that's just me.
I come to games for the game as well, but given how Richmond is such a food and beer haven these days, getting more people in the building when we have empty seats might be easier if there was that additional draw.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I come to games for the game as well, but given how Richmond is such a food and beer haven these days, getting more people in the building when we have empty seats might be easier if there was that additional draw.
I don't know Whooosh. I can't remember ever speaking to anyone on the fence about going to a sporting event and the food options swayed their decision. Now, of course some would take advantage of high end options once there, but I doubt that would be a draw to get people to attend who weren't planning to come.

Reactions: Bridgewater83

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I don't know Whooosh. I can't remember ever speaking to anyone on the fence about going to a sporting event and the food options swayed their decision. Now, of course some would take advantage of high end options once there, but I doubt that would be a draw to get people to attend who weren't planning to come.
I haven't either, but it's also never been a issue because of all the great food options near the Stu and the fact I somewhat make my own schedule (read: if I leave work early, I get to make it up tenfold throughout the rest of the week). May not be the sole swaying option, but those with limited time out (e.g. new parents, or busy professionals with tight schedules) might appreciate the opportunity to turn a 3 hour window into not one of the two options, but both. Not saying it would be the biggest selling point (obviously it's the team and the atmosphere), but I feel like it'd be interesting to test the waters to see if some of those who consolidated game nights and dinner plans appreciated having them be one in the same.

Reactions: connell

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I haven't either, but it's also never been a issue because of all the great food options near the Stu and the fact I somewhat make my own schedule (read: if I leave work early, I get to make it up tenfold throughout the rest of the week). May not be the sole swaying option, but those with limited time out (e.g. new parents, or busy professionals with tight schedules) might appreciate the opportunity to turn a 3 hour window into not one of the two options, but both. Not saying it would be the biggest selling point (obviously it's the team and the atmosphere), but I feel like it'd be interesting to test the waters to see if some of those who consolidated game nights and dinner plans appreciated having them be one in the same.
I don't drink at the games but I heard the beer was very expensive. I can only imagine how much they would charge for high end food like that at the Siegel Center. Would you pay $30+ for a meal you'd have to take to your seat to eat? Personally, I would just eat a light snack and plan to have dinner after the game.

Reactions: Beirne

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I don't drink at the games but I heard the beer was very expensive. I can only imagine how much they would charge for high end food like that at the Siegel Center. Would you pay $30+ for a meal you'd have to take to your seat to eat? Personally, I would just eat a light snack and plan to have dinner after the game.
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure for many, it's more about enjoying the night out than the cost.

Reactions: Major Ram 2.0
Feb 14, 2011
The AD department have to do what they have to do. This is big business and we all realize that not everyone can participate. Sucks but that's how it goes. But like you referenced, the pressure is on to keep the product on the floor top notch because the loyalty factor has probably diminished.
Yes, I agree. However I'm looking longer term, is the AD doing the right thing NOW, to replace (when the time comes) those donors that have been supporting and building the program to what it is today with the younger crowd? The "VCU lifers" are in it for the long haul will likely continue as long as they are able. Catering to those new fans/grades that may being only giving $100 a year, in my opinion are very important so they continue to give for the next 25 or 30 years. I could care less if Ed and company shakes my hand or talks to me, I don't support ED, I support the program. Ed and Company needs to be shaking hands in the student section and the folks in the "cheap seats".

Feb 14, 2011
There were a lot of empty seats.
The lower part of section 4 were pretty empty until some folks moved in from other areas about 10 min into the game. Over the past few years those seats ($7,500 + donation) went from being occupied by regulars to what I believe are now corporate seats.