Players Time to have a conversation

vadiplomat04

Top Member
Feb 24, 2020
I don't know if some of yall saw this but here it is...

As a black VCU fan for over a decade, I've heard, seen, and personally experienced racist actions by other VCU fans.

Now in 2020, as this country is coming to a reckoning around structural racism, white supremacy, and the devaluing of black people, we as a VCU community have to start looking at ourselves.

No longer should any of us remain silence and allow members of our VCU community to use racist language, condone symbols of white supremacy, or continue to devalue black people. I think we can all point to examples, in particular instances on this board, of when racist actions or statements have occured.

No longer should can we allow this. We must fight back and call out racism when it happens, even when it happens within our VCU community.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Some of the best conversations of my life occurred at VCU back in the day with my roomies and friends regarding our lives and views. It is not uncomfortable for me to engage in the subject of race and I have many steadfast friends due to it and I respect people who engage, dialogue, listen and learn.
I love VCU and I love our team ✌

vadiplomat04

Top Member
Feb 24, 2020
Some of the best conversations of my life occurred at VCU back in the day with my roomies and friends regarding our lives and views. It is not uncomfortable for me to engage in the subject of race and I have many steadfast friends due to it and I respect people who engage, dialogue, listen and learn.
I love VCU and I love our team ✌
That’s the goal of this post, it’s to start that conversion.

I think this can be used as a place to really provide white fans with perspectives on certain subjects or instances that have happened that affect people of color like me as a VCU fan.

For instance, on this board there is a different type of “criticism” for players that either transfer or leave school early for the NBA.

In particular, I think about how Larry Sanders is talked about here. To many, the banter about Larry here is innocence and in “good fun”. But to some black fans like me, there is a lot of racism in the statements about him personally, around the reasons why he left school early, and why he retired from the NBA early, etc.

Also the conversation around players transferring can get very ugly from a racial standpoint as well.

As a black man, it seems that some of our VCU fans feel that they have “ownership” over where a player is allowed to play. This type of talk, especially in college where players are not paid, smacks of a time when we as black people were slaves. It feels sometimes like some of you are saying “hey you black kid, you can’t have freedom over your own future, you will play here until I tell you to. Also don’t complain about not getting paid, we give you everything here on campus. You just need to provide your physical labor for our financial gain in order to keep your access to food, shelter, and education”

I say all that to say that white people of this board and in the VCU fan base HAVE to be more aware of what they are saying or be aware of their actions.

You have to be aware that our team is 90% young black men and that most, if not all of them have had to experience overt or covert racism throughout their life.

Don’t be that white person that continues to contribute to this culture of racism. Be one of the people that helps to make this place a more welcoming place for black people and people of color like those same young black men you cheer for on the basketball court.

vadiplomat04

Top Member
Feb 24, 2020
I'm good with this topic sitting right here. The team made the decision together to take a stance, I support the team and the stance. Proud of these guys. GO RAMS!
Thank you Matt. This board can be the perfect place to really attack this issue head on! Some VCU fans will not feel comfortable with the message or the stance, but the statement they are making HAS to be made. These young black men are making it clear that they will not stand for racism and hatred anymore.

I’m proud to say that I root for them!

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
I think about racism a lot as a matter of degrees. What I mean is, when someone says "I'm not a racist," I wonder if they can say that with absolute certainty. Can I look in the mirror and say I talk to black people exactly the same way I talk to white people? Can any of us say we treat all people equally? I'm not sure we can. So I ask myself what is different, and why. Even those of us who feel comfortable talking about it need to ask ourselves these questions. Calling out racism is very important but we also need to make sure we are looking inward and ask ourselves how we can be better, do better. And talk about it like this. I feel like I'm not being very articulate but it helps me to try to put this into words.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Thank you Matt. This board can be the perfect place to really attack this issue head on! Some VCU fans will not feel comfortable with the message or the stance, but the statement they are making HAS to be made. These young black men are making it clear that they will not stand for racism and hatred anymore.

I’m proud to say that I root for them!
It was so dispiriting to see some (but just some) of the comments to that tweet. I should have expected it, I suppose. VCU is as diverse a university as you will find, and that is mostly, but not entirely, a good thing.

Anyway, I was glad to see the team acting as a team in taking a stand, and am glad to see your post, vadiplomat04.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I think about racism a lot as a matter of degrees. What I mean is, when someone says "I'm not a racist," I wonder if they can say that with absolute certainty. Can I look in the mirror and say I talk to black people exactly the same way I talk to white people? Can any of us say we treat all people equally? I'm not sure we can. So I ask myself what is different, and why. Even those of us who feel comfortable talking about it need to ask ourselves these questions. Calling out racism is very important but we also need to make sure we are looking inward and ask ourselves how we can be better, do better. And talk about it like this. I feel like I'm not being very articulate but it helps me to try to put this into words.
Good point, Ronnie. People have such a visceral reaction to the term that they go into denial mode without thinking it through. Just because you aren't Bull Connor doesn't mean you don't have work to do. We all have predispositions, stereotypes, tropes and crutches on which we rely. We have all been fed a line of bullsh!t in our lives that we have to get past (yes, I'm looking at you, Desean Jackson). If you aren't willing to set aside the labels and look at your own ignorance, we'll never make any progress.

Dec 16, 2013
I don't know if some of yall saw this but here it is...

As a black VCU fan for over a decade, I've heard, seen, and personally experienced racist actions by other VCU fans.

Now in 2020, as this country is coming to a reckoning around structural racism, white supremacy, and the devaluing of black people, we as a VCU community have to start looking at ourselves.

No longer should any of us remain silence and allow members of our VCU community to use racist language, condone symbols of white supremacy, or continue to devalue black people. I think we can all point to examples, in particular instances on this board, of when racist actions or statements have occured.

No longer should can we allow this. We must fight back and call out racism when it happens, even when it happens within our VCU community.
Fair enough - here is a thought-provoking and sensitive topic that we all have a stake in here at VCU
Does Systemic racism exist in how we pick our head coaches and hire in the top levels of our Athletic Adminstration and if it does what can we do as fans/supporters of the Rams to affect positive change if we think it is necessary
(as I see it we have 16 sports and 10 head coaches and one is a man of color , who coaches 4 sports - track/cross country both men and women)
(as far as administration hard to put a similar number on the racial breakdown but suffice to say at least 75% are white that head the dept and the various segments)
i am sure most would first argue that merit got everyone their positions but .................. a fair question becomes when is merit not enough to justify hirings
please be positive in tone in your comments - thanks in advance

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Fair enough - here is a thought-provoking and sensitive topic that we all have a stake in here at VCU
Does Systemic racism exist in how we pick our head coaches and hire in the top levels of our Athletic Adminstration and if it does what can we do as fans/supporters of the Rams to affect positive change if we think it is necessary
(as I see it we have 16 sports and 10 head coaches and one is a man of color , who coaches 4 sports - track/cross country both men and women)
(as far as administration hard to put a similar number on the racial breakdown but suffice to say at least 75% are white that head the dept and the various segments)
i am sure most would first argue that merit got everyone their positions but .................. a fair question becomes when is merit not enough to justify hirings
please be positive in tone in your comments - thanks in advance
I can't really speak for many sports besides VCU WBB & VCU MBB.... The 2 sports that I follow most here at VCU.

As far as WBB.... I don't know... because I've been here for 3 head coaches all white females (Cunningham, Stollings & O'Boyle- the current coach). When Beth C. left I honestly didn't hear too much rumblings of who were the nominees that Norwood Teague (the AD at the time) was looking at. We ended up hiring Marlene Stollings who was the HC at Winthrop for year after Being an assistant coach for several years prior at Saint Louis & Ole Miss. Then shortly there after Teague left for Minnesota & then Stollings left after Year 2. I don't know who all we looked at or if this person was a candidate or not... but I was hoping we would hire Coach Dawkins.... who was Stollings asst. here for those 2 years. Again, no idea if she was considered, or had applied for the job or not.. but she ended up going with Stollings to Minnesota & then also to Texas Tech when Stollings went left Minn. But prior to Beth C. I don't know much about our WBB coaching history honestly. I will say though that those 3 Head Coaches have always had at least 1 Black Male or Female Asst. Coach (sometimes more than 1) on their staf every year that I've followed them as far as I can tell. But since I've been here we have not hired a Male HC for WBB (like some others in the conference have), nor have we had a Black HC for WBB.

As far as MBB goes.... I would like to think it does not exist since we had 3 successful head coaches in a row who were all black Head Coaches (Capel, Grant & Shaka). I know Teague hired Shaka, I think he hired Grant, or was the previous AD the one who hired him?.... not sure who the AD was that hired Capel.

So then there's Ed who hired Wade & Rhoades. When Shaka left... does anyone know if there were any other candidates other than WW or MR? I think I remember some people saying Shaka gave Ed those 2 suggestions... but did we consider anyone else? And what about when we hired MR after WW left... does anyone know who the other candidates were, if any?

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
"In particular, I think about how Larry Sanders is talked about here. To many, the banter about Larry here is innocence and in “good fun”. But to some black fans like me, there is a lot of racism in the statements about him personally, around the reasons why he left school early, and why he retired from the NBA early, etc.

Also the conversation around players transferring can get very ugly from a racial standpoint as well."

I am white and I dont see this. Am I missing something?

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I shared the post about troy here(sharing his life experiences with racism) and didn't see any response.
Also shared in a facebook fan group which i no longer admin.
He mentioned three words within a sentence, "black lives matter".
It faced fierce fire from some of our "fans" there, and got deleted, twice, and I kept putting it in, putting my two cents even firmer each time, finally figured it would face the same challenge to white privilege it faces elsewhere, and the same with the pic above, and the hoops shooting at marcus-david peters circle. All faced what I can only attribute to white privilege being threatened. That's what we're seeing these days. Those three words threaten white superiority in and of themselves. As does white and black people being shoulder to shoulder standing against racism.
I'm glad to live to see the day when racism has it's day in the court of public opinion. Seeing white privilege get outed is something we've all needed to see. We should all spend some time paying our condolences and put that sht in a grave.
It's also a good time to spend time looking inside ourselves (actually past time) and do a little internal diagnosis of what you find, be honest with yourself, some things are rotten, toxic, and don't belong in there. Get rid of them before they hurt other people if not for the sole reason of keeping it from hurting you along the way. It;s gonna eventually destroy you (as we're seeing some do to themselves simply looking at a pic of our guys together on that monument above) That's exactly what it's destined to do, no matter how you were taught or how you were raised, or what you think your good book was subjectively interpreted to tell you, that crap doesn't belong in the heart and soul of a good person. And if you insist on being a bad person, nobody has any more time for your sht, it's done enough damage already, .. please stay teh fck away from me, you know darn welll taking one look at me I won't tolerate it, and stay out of the way, there's a tidal wave going on which will not stop any time soon, and you're gonna get swept away out to sea, and nobody is swimming out there to get your ass when it does.

Last edited: