Players Time to have a conversation

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
They really need to get out of that Nike contract. Not good for social justice warriors to be associated with a company with a long history of slave labor in its supply chain. At a minimum, don’t include their swoosh on social media posts.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Actually the answer is to eliminate all sports from colleges period. Universities and colleges should focus on education and research. Replace college sports like basketball with professional leagues like overseas. Even have relegation with NBA as a goal
Additionally all colleges should be required to have a representative percentage of professors say 45-55% of faculty be conservative in thought. The liberal control of the educational system is not really working too well. More research and less remedial instruction

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Actually the answer is to eliminate all sports from colleges period. Universities and colleges should focus on education and research. Replace college sports like basketball with professional leagues like overseas. Even have relegation with NBA as a goal
Additionally all colleges should be required to have a representative percentage of professors say 45-55% of faculty be conservative in thought. The liberal control of the educational system is not really working too well. More research and less remedial instruction
I’ve thought that for awhile. Frivolous waste of money that could be better used in society. The fact that they even allow young people to play football shows how little regard they have for kids.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Interesting thought! What is the current %

Reactions: vcumad

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I don't disagree with some of this, but you should understand that the academy isn't entirely liberal. Professors on the conservative side of the issues, such as myself, simply have to hide our beliefs because we're not permitted to voice our viewpoints. Still, we're here, and many of us find subtle ways to resist the radical left in our classrooms.

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Major Ram, actually have been slowly moving to that point of view for awhile. A lot of changes have been recently made of benefit to student-athletes-increased stipend, more freedom of movement- that I think are positives. Combine this with free books, tuition, health and dental care, decent living accomodations and it is not a bad life. However, consistently hearing complaints about how poorly treated student-athletes are has worn on me. Likewise, I feel the spending on college athletics has gotten out of hand and we have lost some perspective. Took a look around my old hometown of Cville this past year before a UVA basketball game and was overwhelmed by the olympic quality sports facilities-aside from seating. That visit alone gave me pause to reconsider. There is more that I could say about this, but trying to avoid writing a book length post. However, the fact that I am in agreement with you on taking athletics out of universities is one of the reasons that I lowered my donation level to athletics this year and instead contributed more money to specific depts. As to your last point, not certain how you would ensure this ratio. First, how people identify themselves may not always be accurate. In addition, views can change over time so someone who is viewed as a conservative could easily become a liberal over time so this would skew percentages. In agreement though with the general idea.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Set up a poll on this issue. Anxious to know what Ram Nation thinks.
ram nation’s collective view is none of my concern, though I’ll allow that it might be for the AD. I’d hope they would try a more scientific route for sampling...:that said, if someone were inspired to poll the forum, I’d participate.

i’m ok with being on the wrong side of conventional wisdom and equally ok with others having their own perspectives. Note, i didn’t say I want you to stop attending and withdrawl your pledge, just that if you did, i’d work to replace it.

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Sorry I disagree. There are plenty of outlets for the players to express their thoughts or support. When I go to a sporting event, I want to watch the game and not be distracted. If it comes to fruition, I would consider not buying season tickets and declining to make the annual pledge.
Agree. Dropped ESPN because they are always looking to take some kind of stand on an issue. Politics is everywhere, sports have always been my respite. If this continues to bleed over into sports for too long, or college athletics, then I will move to spending my money elsewhere.

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
This ain’t even in the ball park of the civil rights movement in the 1960s in both intensity and importance...might want to crack a history book.
if anyone would have suggested that the country would see a two term black president you would have been committed.
Absolutely agree with you...I have seen more poor, misunderstood historical references in the past three months than I have gotten from my students in the past 21 years,Does not mean that I think some of the issues being discussed are unimportant, but this is not even comparable to the 50's and 60's.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Protests and freedom of speech did shape this country. Sleeping in tents all day, staying up all night disrupting traffic, yelling chants at houses of people that disagree with you till the early morning, throwing bricks at police, breaking windows, arson, grafitting everything (state property/ private property)... is not a protest. It is a riot. I am having a hard time identifying what is going on in Richmond as a legitimate protest. Sure there are some legitimate protestors there. But overall, when the the group marches there is a wake of destruction that follows them. I have seen all sorts of protests over the years. There are protests for workers rights, pro abortion, Anti abortion, Tea party, Anti-Trump, Dominion Pipeline... and none of them have come close to the destructive nature that these "peaceful" protesters have had on our city since late May. If I am wrong and Richmond has seen such destruction in the past 30 years, please correct me. Parts of Richmond looks like a war zone and that is disgusting. There are some vital concerns that have been raised and need to be addressed, but this crap in its current state needs to stop and take the true form of a protest and not a riot.
You mentioned Anti abortion, Tea Party, AntiTrump, Dominion Pipeline. None of those groups protesting have done as much for the country as African Americans. None have suffered the human trafficking, murders, rapes, and discrimination of African Americans. None are target by Police, none are systematically denied equal opportunity as such you cannot compare one group to those who are fighting for equality.

You state they yell at people who disagree with them. This characterization makes it seem as if the disagreement is over the color of uniforms, or if Mike Rhodes is a good coach. No the disagreement is fundamental to all the suffering that the group protesting is in fact protesting. The stakes are much higher.

At the end of the day, unless you have really walked a mile in these shoes you most likely wont understand why there is such frustration, anger, and contempt for those who "disagree"

Fwiw, there should be no disagreement with equality and everyone should be outraged to know that it is still very much a part of our society.

While I do not agree with the destruction at all. I also do not agree with the lack of progress in granting a group of American citizens their full rights and the needs for some to continue to support a system that is inherently racist.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Absolutely agree with you...I have seen more poor, misunderstood historical references in the past three months than I have gotten from my students in the past 21 years,Does not mean that I think some of the issues being discussed are unimportant, but this is not even comparable to the 50's and 60's.
Not the 50's or 60's? Depends on whether or not you are on the receiving end of the oppression.

Further, its been over 145 since the end of the Civil War, and nearly 145 years since the ratification of the 13th Amendment yet here we are still debating race relations and equality.

At the end of the day, Its really not that hard an issue to address if those in power and benefit decide to both address it and ensure equality for all.