Players Time to have a conversation

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
But Derek Chauvin wasn’t someone “in charge.” He was a police officer with a history of over-aggression on the job. He was an employee of the city hired to do a job like most regular people. People who do the hiring have no way of knowing if someone who comes in for an interview with the required qualifications is a “decent and morally upstanding person.”

What would have worked better was more transparency and a citizen review board so that Chauvin could have been put on probation after the first questionable incident and fired after the second. THEN, George Floyd wouldn’t have died the way he did.
1. Chauvin was a police officer which by definition is a position of law enforcement authority.

2. He didn't just have a history of over aggression. He had 16 incidences of police brutality over a 20 year period and he never got discipline.

3. Policemen have to go through a rigorous background investigation in order to get the job. They know enough to surmise people of good reliable character most of the time.

Example below:

• Written Examination - 4 hours
  • Initial Interview - 1 hour
  • Fingerprinting
  • Physical Abilities Test - 3 hours
  • Oral Review Board - 1 hour
  • Polygraph Examination - 4 hours
  • Medical Examination - 4 hours
  • Psychological Examination - 8 hours
  • Background Examination 8 - 12 weeks
  • Interview with the Chief of Police
The.police department had a psychological profile, a.thorough background check and more than likely a polygraph..they more than likely knew what type of person he was and still hired him.

So why did Chauvin get to keep his job for 20 years.despite his police brutality?

The CBA between the Minneapolis government and the police union shielded him from discipline. As a matter of fact, it shields every cop, regardless of skin color, from that any that type of discipline.

You want transparency in the process? Elect people who will enact those types of reforms.. not just promise them..

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
MM You are not speaking about the day that I am talking about. I did not see 150 people there. I do not agree with the protestors trying to gang up on the officers to hurt them, one being a female with her hands occupied with a prisoner. The glass being broken is the least of anyone’s worries. No. There is never a time when vandalism or harm to others is justification. I don’t believe you would support that either. I also believe the protestors that were initiating the violence should be charged with a crime if they injured someone or an emergency responder. For every bad cop there are 10 good cops willing to put their lives on the line for yours just so you can get home safely. This is from first hand experience. I am sorry you have had a bad experience. I hope you give the police department another shot at serving you.
It was during a ruling about eviction notices being applied.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
1. Chauvin was a police officer which by definition is a position of law enforcement authority.

2. He didn't just have a history of over aggression. He had 16 incidences of police brutality over a 20 year period and he never got discipline.

3. Policemen have to go through a rigorous background investigation in order to get the job. They know enough to surmise people of good reliable character most of the time.

Example below:

• Written Examination - 4 hours
  • Initial Interview - 1 hour
  • Fingerprinting
  • Physical Abilities Test - 3 hours
  • Oral Review Board - 1 hour
  • Polygraph Examination - 4 hours
  • Medical Examination - 4 hours
  • Psychological Examination - 8 hours
  • Background Examination 8 - 12 weeks
  • Interview with the Chief of Police
The.police department had a psychological profile, a.thorough background check and more than likely a polygraph..they more than likely knew what type of person he was and still hired him.

So why did Chauvin get to keep his job for 20 years.despite his police brutality?

The CBA between the Minneapolis government and the police union shielded him from discipline. As a matter of fact, it shields every cop, regardless of skin color, from that any that type of discipline.

You want transparency in the process? Elect people who will enact those types of reforms.. not just promise them..
Well, sure, hiring politicians that support the right things will help in the long-term, but when someone we trust is elected (and honestly, not many politicians live up to their promises, so don’t make that seem easy), it doesn’t mean it’ll automatically eliminate the bad cops, police brutality, and systemic racism that already exists. They can help to quell it and to change it, but you’re talking about deeply engrained things that even the most powerful person can’t just eliminate.

In the meantime, hold the departments accountable NOW. Hold the current politicians accountable NOW to help enact change. Fix it now. Don’t put the responsibility on the average citizen and make it seem like it’s their fault or that nothing can be done now.

Bad cops exist. I’m sure they didn’t sit in their interview and confess to their deep biases. People put on a show in interviews all the time. You think people hire police officers knowing they’re bad people? If so, then the police are worse than I thought. I feel like now you’re trying to tell me they’re bad at their core. Is that what you think?

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
To sum it up, African Americans at least those in DC are to blame negligent behavior as such they are as bad as racists, and the system really isnt racist its just that there are bad people who are running the system. All we need to do is remove the bad people. Man, I thought your basketball analyst was off
Marion Barry was a 4 term mayor in DC. He ran against against 2 African american democratic city council men and 1 african american democratic woman who would woman mayor in dc history at time.

DC voters including African americans had other alternative African american choices to represent the district and chose him every time

...and your telling they werent responsible for letting his administration to screw them over.

DC actually had a good african american mayor before barry named Walter Washington. He actually quelled the district to stop rioting after the city went up in flames in 68!.

But the african American population in DC didn't want to re-elect because they thought he was to much of an uncle Tom.

Instead they chose Barry and the rest is history.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Well, sure, hiring politicians that support the right things will help in the long-term, but when someone we trust is elected (and honestly, not many politicians live up to their promises, so don’t make that seem easy), it doesn’t mean it’ll automatically eliminate the bad cops, police brutality, and systemic racism that already exists. They can help to quell it and to change it, but you’re talking about deeply engrained things that even the most powerful person can’t just eliminate.

In the meantime, hold the departments accountable NOW. Hold the current politicians accountable NOW to help enact change. Fix it now. Don’t put the responsibility on the average citizen and make it seem like it’s their fault or that nothing can be done now.

Bad cops exist. I’m sure they didn’t sit in their interview and confess to their deep biases. People put on a show in interviews all the time. You think people hire police officers knowing they’re bad people? If so, then the police are worse than I thought. I feel like now you’re trying to tell me they’re bad at their core. Is that what you think?
They arent clairoyant..but police departments can surmise based on extensive background checks with polygraph to figure out more or less whom can hold a job.

As a matter of fact, that is how most higher level security clearances work. If they find out something about you and you lie about it...you dont get hire

There isnt a chance in h3ll a guy like Chauvin could withhold anything from them and still get hired or even keep it..if done properly.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Marion Barry was a 4 term mayor in DC. He ran against against 2 African american democratic city council men and 1 african american democratic woman who would woman mayor in dc history at time.

DC voters including African americans other alternative African american choices to represent the district and chose him every time...and your telling they werent responsible for letting his administration to screw them over.

DC actually had a good african american mayor before barry named Walter Washington. He actually quelled the district to stop rioting after the city went up in flames in 68!.

But the african American population in DC didn't want to re-elect because they thought he was to much of an uncle Tom.

Instead they chose Barry and the rest is history.
So you think that citizens shouldn’t protest unfair things because the politicians they elect let those unfair things happen?

It’s not like the only people who vote are the oppressed communities. There’s more people in DC.

What about those who suffer who tried to vote for other candidates? Everything is their fault too?

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
They arent clairoyant..but police departments can surmise based on extensive background checks with polygraph to figure out more or less whom can hold a job.

As a matter of fact, that is how most higher level security clearances work. If they find out something about you and you lie about it...you dont get hire

There isnt a chance in h3ll a guy like Chauvin could withhold anything from them and still get hired or even keep it..if done properly.
So are you saying police departments knowingly hire bad cops?

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
MM You are not speaking about the day that I am talking about. I did not see 150 people there. I do not agree with the protestors trying to gang up on the officers to hurt them, one being a female with her hands occupied with a prisoner. The glass being broken is the least of anyone’s worries. No. There is never a time when vandalism or harm to others is justification. I don’t believe you would support that either. I also believe the protestors that were initiating the violence should be charged with a crime if they injured someone or an emergency responder. For every bad cop there are 10 good cops willing to put their lives on the line for yours just so you can get home safely. This is from first hand experience. I am sorry you have had a bad experience. I hope you give the police department another shot at serving you.
The people being evicted don;t show up to court, only the judge and those who own land or manage it. I do agree about the glass being broken not being an answer, but if you're looking for a reason why they were there, protesting at that particular time and day (they've actually been present every day evictions are being ordered en masse, there you have it. They're pissed, and how out courts are throwing people out to die on the sidewalks, is disgusting. I personally wouldn't break a window to make them stop. But no two people are the same.
The police and what those people were doing there are two completely, well, nearly completely separate things. And I and how I feel about the police am not the issue, here, I miss how that became an issue in this topic. Now that it is, some years back, I did have a bad experience with them, a horribly unfair, disgusting experience that enraged me beyond measure.. something though small, it was one from which I will never be the same and I still financially at least feel the impacts from to this day. But I understand forgiveness for those who have trespassed against me. Like not all cops are the same, not all people are the same, not all demonstrators and protestors and those supporting them are the same. I am not a cop hater. But do think the entire "justice" system needs to be overturned completely reformed? Yes. Our house was just prowled for the second time in two weeks, I have video of this person, and cops didn't even bother taking a report. This was one week ago. It just proved to me more of what I see and feel, they're not serving us and not giving us what we pay them for, they're not serving me. They showed me that one week ago tonight.

I'm still crazy about some @HAVOC still lives here, too!

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
So are you saying police departments knowingly hire bad cops?
Yes.

Read this.

Scandals involving the District of Columbia's Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) have had less to do with allegations of excessive force by its 3,600 officers than with political infighting and gross mismanagement.1 Although in crisis, the department is embarking on a "zero tolerance" campaign, meaning that police-resident encounters, and presumably the opportunity to commit abuses, will increase.2 With the internal affairs unit exercising excessive secrecy and the recent abolition of the city's civilian review board, the department is left with very little external scrutiny regarding its handling of brutality complaints.3

In November 1997, Chief Larry Soulsby resigned amid allegations of impropriety.4 Soulsby had been sharing an apartment where the rent had reportedly been reduced dramatically after Soulsby's friend and roommate, Lt. Jeffrey Stowe, reportedly told the landlords that it would be used for undercover work. Also in November, Stowe - who headed the investigations unit on extortion and fraud - was himself charged with embezzlement and extortion.5 Stowe was accused of stealingmoney from department funds, attempting to blackmail married men who frequented a gay nightclub, and using his subordinates to get information about the FBI's investigation of Stowe.6 A former deputy superintendent from Chicago's police force, Charles Ramsey, was chosen as the new chief in early 1998, and there were hopes that an "outsider" might help improve the management of the force.

In addition to serious scandals involving the department's leaders, the rank-and-file of the force have also gotten into trouble. According to press reports, some one hundred officers who joined the force during a 1989-90 hiring drive, when standards and background screening were all but absent, were later charged with criminal offenses.7 Nearly one quarter of those were charged with crimes involving domestic violence.8 More recently it was reported that during late 1996 and early 1997, background checks of new recruits were incomplete.9

You have violent cops being hired because of corruption, incompetence and negligence with the metro police department.

This isn't systemic racism..its plain old corruption allowing bad and sometimes racist cops to keep their jobs.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Yes.

Read this.

Scandals involving the District of Columbia's Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) have had less to do with allegations of excessive force by its 3,600 officers than with political infighting and gross mismanagement.1 Although in crisis, the department is embarking on a "zero tolerance" campaign, meaning that police-resident encounters, and presumably the opportunity to commit abuses, will increase.2 With the internal affairs unit exercising excessive secrecy and the recent abolition of the city's civilian review board, the department is left with very little external scrutiny regarding its handling of brutality complaints.3

In November 1997, Chief Larry Soulsby resigned amid allegations of impropriety.4 Soulsby had been sharing an apartment where the rent had reportedly been reduced dramatically after Soulsby's friend and roommate, Lt. Jeffrey Stowe, reportedly told the landlords that it would be used for undercover work. Also in November, Stowe - who headed the investigations unit on extortion and fraud - was himself charged with embezzlement and extortion.5 Stowe was accused of stealingmoney from department funds, attempting to blackmail married men who frequented a gay nightclub, and using his subordinates to get information about the FBI's investigation of Stowe.6 A former deputy superintendent from Chicago's police force, Charles Ramsey, was chosen as the new chief in early 1998, and there were hopes that an "outsider" might help improve the management of the force.

In addition to serious scandals involving the department's leaders, the rank-and-file of the force have also gotten into trouble. According to press reports, some one hundred officers who joined the force during a 1989-90 hiring drive, when standards and background screening were all but absent, were later charged with criminal offenses.7 Nearly one quarter of those were charged with crimes involving domestic violence.8 More recently it was reported that during late 1996 and early 1997, background checks of new recruits were incomplete.9

You have violent cops being hired because of corruption, incompetence and negligence with the metro police department.

This isn't systemic racism..its plain old corruption allowing bad and sometimes racist cops to keep their jobs.
I think it’s a mix of corruption and systemic racism. These things formed like this for a reason. Racism was at the core of the formation of some things, and corruption (and bits of continuing racism) keep it alive.

But again, this isn’t the fault of the average civilian, even if the people they elected turn corrupt. Is it frustrating bad politicians get re-elected? Sure, but you can’t tell society that unfair things are deserved because politicians don’t fight for their constituents.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Apr 20, 2009
IF bad politicians are part of the problem, why are they not held to account? Instead, businesses are wrecked and looted, people not in position or power to exact change are injured financially or "cancelled" but people with obviously racist yearbook pictures, who have position and power get multiple free passes.

Reactions: 757RamFan

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
So if I am a landlord and I too have to pay my bills or I lose my own home am I supposed let people stay for free... I am living thru the same pandemic...where is my protection ...the mortgage company that is holding the note on my rental property isn’t giving me any consideration . Guess I need to throw some bricks thru the bank windows