Players Time to have a conversation

Apr 20, 2009
So if I am a landlord and I too have to pay my bills or I lose my own home am I supposed let people stay for free... I am living thru the same pandemic...where is my protection ...the mortgage company that is holding the note on my rental property isn’t giving me any consideration . Guess I need to throw some bricks thru the bank windows
No. That is not what is going on here. The bank would be the cause of your strife. Throwing something through a window is never the answer, but these "protesters" are lashing out at people/property that are not the cause of their strife. Creating more victims does not bring victory to the protesters. I do appreciate the tenor of your response.

Bridgewater83

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So if I am a landlord and I too have to pay my bills or I lose my own home am I supposed let people stay for free... I am living thru the same pandemic...where is my protection ...the mortgage company that is holding the note on my rental property isn’t giving me any consideration . Guess I need to throw some bricks thru the bank windows
According to some here, owning rental property makes you a "slum lord" so none of your hardship matters.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I think it’s a mix of corruption and systemic racism. These things formed like this for a reason. Racism was at the core of the formation of some things, and corruption (and bits of continuing racism) keep it alive.

But again, this isn’t the fault of the average civilian, even if the people they elected turn corrupt. Is it frustrating bad politicians get re-elected? Sure, but you can’t tell society that unfair things are deserved because politicians don’t fight for their constituents.
It is the fault of the average citizen.

When voter participation turn out of (what 40 -50%?) on a regular regular election year and people, as a whole, dont pay attention to local issues unless it's hot button.

Yes. we only have to blame our selves for electing politicians who drive our government agencies and allow this type and other types crap to happen.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

When voter participation turn out of (what 40 -50%?) on a regular regular election year and people, as a whole, dont pay attention to local issues unless it's hot button.

Yes. we only have to blame our selves for electing politicians who drive our government agencies and allow this type and other types crap to happen.

The media packaging everything in heavily edited 15-30 second sound bites. Civics aren't even taught in school any more. Teachers preach politics in math classes. If the populace isn't educated, or more importantly educated to think for themselves it's easier to pull the wool over their eyes.

DC is under water in multi generational endemic poverty, single parent homes, drug abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence from birth to death, horrible schools, and families who do not value education. It's no wonder their gov't is corrupt.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Actually the answer is to eliminate all sports from colleges period. Universities and colleges should focus on education and research. Replace college sports like basketball with professional leagues like overseas. Even have relegation with NBA as a goal
Additionally all colleges should be required to have a representative percentage of professors say 45-55% of faculty be conservative in thought. The liberal control of the educational system is not really working too well. More research and less remedial instruction
While this could be a solution in one way.... it would also present A LOT of problems.

Athletics (or at least the money sports at each university) bring in a lot of money to the school. Think about how much money VCU makes off of RAF Donations, Season Tickets, Single Game Ticket Sales, Student Fees (that allow them to get into VCU games Free), Rowdy Rams money (roughly 1000 Rowdy Rams passes at $20-25 a piece)...... all that money would go out the window.... And for other schools it would affect them a lot more than it would us... because of how much money they make off athletics alone. Where would all that revenue that comes from athletics usually, come from now?

Also in regards to Athletics.... what would the NFL do without college Football? You gonna send an 18 year old kid to the NFL? This ain't Tennis, Golf, or Soccer (Futbol), where you can go pro at almost any age, and this ain't The NBA or even The MLB, where there's a minor leagues to build the kid up til hes ready for the majors. There's a reason the NFL makes you have to be 3 years removed from HS, and all but forces you to go to College in order to get to the NFL.... though there are those who have gone the Arena Football route.... and even some that just went & hired personal trainers & spent 3 years working out.... but the majority go the college football route.

Then on top of that.... if you do away with Athletics.... it's going to affect a lot of students from being able to attend college. Look at how many current student-athletes... wouldn't even be able to be students without their athletic scholarships.... I'm sure the number would a pretty high % of athletics, people of all races & ethnicities would be affected.... especially minorities. Heck, even a lot of athletes now currently are affected, as they are on partial or no scholarships, so them & their family still have to fork over a lot of money.

So if you do away with athletics.... how would a lot of these families send their kids to school, in order to get an education, in order to get a job & support themselves and/or their families? Are schools just gonna start handing out academic scholarships to anyone who wants one? Or what would be the requirements? Also, there's plenty of people who average a 3.0 or higher in High School and never receive any kinds scholarship money.... and I don't mean because they were too lazy to fill out the applications or write the essays that some require. I had a friend who filled out like 50 different scholarship apps in one year.... you know how many they got? Zero, Zilch, Nada, Zippo, None.

So, while getting rid of sports & focusing solely on education could be a solution in some regards, it would also present other issues.... some of which may not be easily resolved.

Reactions: VCU85

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
According to some here, owning rental property makes you a "slum lord" so none of your hardship matters.
Certainly there are slum lords, but others (my land lords for instance) are small business owners who rent a few properties to help financially. I know their businesses have been suffering recently so I've been extra careful to get the rent in on time and now that I'm leaving to make sure I gave them plenty of time to get another tenant. Of course this is a small town, so my land lord is also the woman who cuts my hair and my friend. If that was the case with more land lords and tenants maybe we would work together to help each other get through this. Friends helping friends, maybe is a good path to take, even if our friends are people we don't even know.

Reactions: Bridgewater83
May 19, 2015
The people being evicted don;t show up to court, only the judge and those who own land or manage it. I do agree about the glass being broken not being an answer, but if you're looking for a reason why they were there, protesting at that particular time and day (they've actually been present every day evictions are being ordered en masse, there you have it. They're pissed, and how out courts are throwing people out to die on the sidewalks, is disgusting. I personally wouldn't break a window to make them stop. But no two people are the same.
The police and what those people were doing there are two completely, well, nearly completely separate things. And I and how I feel about the police am not the issue, here, I miss how that became an issue in this topic. Now that it is, some years back, I did have a bad experience with them, a horribly unfair, disgusting experience that enraged me beyond measure.. something though small, it was one from which I will never be the same and I still financially at least feel the impacts from to this day. But I understand forgiveness for those who have trespassed against me. Like not all cops are the same, not all people are the same, not all demonstrators and protestors and those supporting them are the same. I am not a cop hater. But do think the entire "justice" system needs to be overturned completely reformed? Yes. Our house was just prowled for the second time in two weeks, I have video of this person, and cops didn't even bother taking a report. This was one week ago. It just proved to me more of what I see and feel, they're not serving us and not giving us what we pay them for, they're not serving me. They showed me that one week ago tonight.

I'm still crazy about some @HAVOC still lives here, too!
Hey brother, you are always going to be good with me because I know the kind of cloth you are cut from and the depth of heart with which you were born based on the years of your efforts to help others. Personally speaking, the continuous violence and horrific demonstrations have overshadowed, the initial crusade of the message. Now people are angry. Not at BLM but at the protestors in general. I don’t really know anymore why they are out on the streets day or night. The message is out. Let’s get to work. Who doesn’t know that Black Lives Matter?

Reactions: RamLover

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Hey brother, you are always going to be good with me because I know the kind of cloth you are cut from and the depth of heart with which you were born based on the years of your efforts to help others. Personally speaking, the continuous violence and horrific demonstrations have overshadowed, the initial crusade of the message. Now people are angry. Not at BLM but at the protestors in general. I don’t really know anymore why they are out on the streets day or night. The message is out. Let’s get to work. Who doesn’t know that Black Lives Matter?
They want actual work and not just talk, but yeah I agree with what it begins with. All they're seeing is more assaults on people of color.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016

Agree to disagree. Some people can be active voters who do their research and vote for the candidate who pledges to help the causes in which they believe. If a different candidate wins or the one they trusted becomes corrupt, they shouldn’t be blamed for the oppression they continue to suffer. This is just another way to not hold the people doing the oppressing accountable.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
The media packaging everything in heavily edited 15-30 second sound bites. Civics aren't even taught in school any more. Teachers preach politics in math classes. If the populace isn't educated, or more importantly educated to think for themselves it's easier to pull the wool over their eyes.

DC is under water in multi generational endemic poverty, single parent homes, drug abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence from birth to death, horrible schools, and families who do not value education. It's no wonder their gov't is corrupt.
This over-generalizes A LOT of things, but aside from that, the fact is that no one should be ok with the systemic racism and police brutality that still exists and happens (again) every single day in this country, and that’s not an exaggeration. That’s also just ONE example of modern day racism in systems of power. I honestly don’t have faith in any politician to make it better, no matter political party or who they’re in bed with. It won’t matter. Corporations and public servants all need to be held accountable when employees who are supposed to serve the public are obviously racist, brutal, or both. Period. All systems have the power to fire and charge (when necessary) the people who abuse and kill other people. They just don’t. This is what people protest, as they should. I’m done hearing the excuses. It’s not hard. Fire racists. Fire murderers. It’s really that simple. The more bs excuses there are, the more it’s clear the problems don’t affect you guys. It’s fine but try to have some perspective. Lots of these victims have only committed the crime of being black. I’m done hearing the excuses.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Have you been reading this thread? Apparently a lot of people don’t know/think that. A lot of people in here only think they matter if their inner city parents raise them right, to paraphrase a few. Ridiculous.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
And then, there are 106 homicides throughout Chicago in July and 430 for the year.
So do you really think because people kill each other on the streets that it makes it ok that bad cops are murdering black people?

Let’s turn it around.

White people do murder other white people too, you know. But totally separate are the police.

If white cops pulled over white people because their tail lights were out or their license was expired or they were speeding, and those white people ended up dead, even when they had no weapons or drugs on them, would you be totally ok with that? If a white person was walking down the street with headphones on and never committed a crime, then died at the hands of police for no reason, would you be ok with that? If a white person was jogging down the street, and two black people came up and shot him dead for no reason, and it took national public outcry for police to arrest his clear, videotaped murderers days later, you’d be totally cool with that? If a 12-year-old white kid had a toy gun in a park playing with his friends, and police shot him dead, you’d be cool with that?

These are just a few recent examples of HUNDREDS of racially-charged MURDERS that have been happening for YEARS at the hands of the people that we are supposed to trust, people who pledged to be public servants to PROTECT anyone in this country. Now imagine if the cops killing those white people were black or other minorities. Wouldn’t that make it seem even worse? Wouldn’t you think, after seeing it time and time again, that it may just have something to do with race?

Honestly, there probably are lots of examples of the police unfairly killing white people, too, and there should be outcry about that. It’s clear that some police abuse their authority, but there are also a lot of police that are clear-cut racists.

There are some very fine policeman, but some are so racist or hold such deep internal biases, they don’t take the time to think through shooting a black person like they would with a white person. If anyone STILL denies that and thinks this isn’t a problem or distracts from it with statistics of black on black crime, then that’s proving that lots of deep racism (and denial) is still alive and well. Sorry, y’all. I know it’s uncomfortable, but wake up.

Also, don’t pretend to know what black communities try to do about black-on-black crime. They have a lot of community leaders and church leaders who actively work against these things, but circumstances in different parts of the city are very different than the circumstances lots on this forum have experienced. You guys just don’t know what you don’t know, so stop pretending you know it all.

Last edited: