Players Time to have a conversation

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
If Trump loses he walks peacefully. If he loses there will likely be continued unrest from the Democrats because it has been that way throughout his term. The media has tried to crucify him and it has been a one-sided media show. Quite frankly if the Democrats believe in defunding the police and allowing the violence to take hold on the streets, we don’t have a snowballs chance in heck to survive. That is why the folks are moving from the City of Richmond which is where I grew up and called home.
I agree he'd leave peacefully, if he wins, quite frankly, I think there will be continued unrest for a while.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
"We, as an American citizen, offer or silent protest and demand in the name of our fathers, in the name of the constitution and in the name of every patriotic impulse that such thing shall not be tolerated." (1890) and I agree in 2020.
I don't know if some of yall saw this but here it is...

As a black VCU fan for over a decade, I've heard, seen, and personally experienced racist actions by other VCU fans.

Now in 2020, as this country is coming to a reckoning around structural racism, white supremacy, and the devaluing of black people, we as a VCU community have to start looking at ourselves.

No longer should any of us remain silence and allow members of our VCU community to use racist language, condone symbols of white supremacy, or continue to devalue black people. I think we can all point to examples, in particular instances on this board, of when racist actions or statements have occured.

No longer should can we allow this. We must fight back and call out racism when it happens, even when it happens within our VCU community.

So... after 30 days of time having this conversation originally about The VCU Rams basketball team in what appeared as a show of support of the movement, on the MDP circle Lee monument, here's a chance to see what black forefathers thought of it being put there in the first place:

1890: What the Richmond Planet Said About the Lee Monument
When the Robert E. Lee monument went up on the outskirts of Richmond in the spring of 1890, several editors from African-American newspapers made their views crystal clear. Here are a few more excerpts:

"The Negro was in the Northern processions on Decoration Day and in the Southern ones, if only to carry buckets of ice-water. He put up the Lee Monument, and should the time come, will be there to take it down." -
Richmond Planet, June 7, 1890

Richmond Planet, May 10, 1890

"The boxes were decorated with bunting and Confederate flags. On every hand could be seen the “stars and bars.” Nowhere in this procession was there a United States flag. The rebel yell, reinforced by a glorification of the lost cause was everywhere manifest."

The New York Age, New York, NY
(quoted in Richmond Planet, June 7, 1890)

"Where then is the wisdom or the propriety of wasting any sentiment on Robert E. Lee? Let the unconstructed Democracy of the South glorify him and his memory as they will, but let the patriots of the nation indulge in none of it."

The State Capital, Springfield, Illinois
(quoted in Richmond Planet, June 14, 1890)

"...but when they put up that ensign of treason – the stars and bars – and make it a god to display, and to worship. We, as an American citizen, offer or silent protest and demand in the name of our fathers, in the name of the constitution and in the name of every patriotic impulse that such thing shall not be tolerated."

Last edited:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
A lot of yall on this thread are telling on yourselves...really...YOU ARE TELLING ON YOURSELF!

I can glem how you really feel about those who are oppressed in this country and are standing up to fight for equality.

I see how yall talk about the youth protesting in the streets for equality.

I see the support for the racist in the white house.

I see why I feel uncomfortable with a certain part of the VCU fan base.

A lot of y'all really don't have any love or respect for the young black men and women that play for this university.
Thanks for sharing and caring. You are a douchebag. Not because you started the conversation but because you have nothing to add but hate. GFY.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

"
A group of Black Lives Matter protesters in Seattle marched through a residential neighborhood this week demanding that white residents give up their homes, dramatic video shows.

Footage of the Wednesday demonstration posted to Twitter shows a crowd of dozens chanting “Black lives matter” before an unidentified man projects his ire toward nearby white residents — saying they are living in a historically black section of the city as another woman in the crowd yells that they should “give up” their homes, the clip shows.

“Do you know that before your white ass came here, this was all black people?” the man says. “Do you know people like you came in here and basically bought all the land from the black people for less than what it was worth, kicked them out so you could live here? Do you know that?”"

If BLM came into your neighbourhood in the fan ..telling you to give up your house..would you do it?

BLM is no longer about just police brutality..

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
A lot of yall on this thread are telling on yourselves...really...YOU ARE TELLING ON YOURSELF!

I can glem how you really feel about those who are oppressed in this country and are standing up to fight for equality.

I see how yall talk about the youth protesting in the streets for equality.

I see the support for the racist in the white house.

I see why I feel uncomfortable with a certain part of the VCU fan base.

A lot of y'all really don't have any love or respect for the young black men and women that play for this university.
If you'd wanted to be part of the conversation, then you wouldn't have stayed silent for so long. Instead, what you're really interested in doing is lecturing people who don't share your exact viewpoint and calling them a racist. It's the behavior of a bully, and an intellectually sophomoric one at that.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I'm good with this topic sitting right here. The team made the decision together to take a stance, I support the team and the stance. Proud of these guys. GO RAMS!
Too much politics here folks. Sorry, but moving to OT.
With all due respect, this thread has been political from the start, and you quite obviously seemed quite to embraced it. Given that the thread is now 50 pages long, I wonder if you'd care to tell us why your point-of-view has changed.