Players Time to have a conversation

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Too much politics here folks. Sorry, but moving to OT.
Too little too late for a lot of us. A very substantial strategic mistake to include this thread on a main basketball forum. In communicating with a number of insightful posters with respect to these boards it appears many share this opinion. These boards will never be the same again. At a time when there are exciting things going on at VCU and hopefully exciting recruiting news will be forthcoming we "get this" on a basketball forum. Just a real shame.

May 19, 2015
I don’t have a single bit of resentment for anyone that shares a differing opinion than me. I look forward to a wonderful season of basketball. Make no mistake about it, I don’t like politics being discussed on a basketball forum anymore than anyone else. However, it has become vicious and the original subject-matter was quite different and brought people together until someone suggested that conservatives were racists and that is when I call bullpoopte.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Too little too late for a lot of us. A very substantial strategic mistake to include this thread on a main basketball forum. In communicating with a number of insightful posters with respect to these boards it appears many share this opinion. These boards will never be the same again. At a time when there are exciting things going on at VCU and hopefully exciting recruiting news will be forthcoming we "get this" on a basketball forum. Just a real shame.
This kinda proves how hard it is to do this stuff, by which I mean, moderate a forum of a diverse community.

-If we moved the thread from the start, we lose followers, people hate us, call us racists, fascists, etc (and I'm sure those calls are still coming).

-If we move it now, we lose followers, people hate us for doing it too late.

Basically impossible for us to win with everyone on this one. I will admit though I'm somewhat surprised to see the anti-cancel culture crowd cancel us for letting a thread live (which, by the way, 1: started with a discussion about our basketball team posing in front of the Lee Monument...and 2: wasn't required reading by anyone, but sure enough...people enjoyed reading it apparently as the most popular thread on this forum by a mile the last month: 29k views, 751 replies).

Anyway, we'll keep doing the best we can. If we lose some folks along the way, c'est la vie. We know we're good dudes with a diverse set of views ourselves trying to manage an insane asylum to the best of our ability. See the rest of you at a game soon (or on here).

Edit: I realize I said "see you at a game soon"...which is probably not true. I hope though to somehow see you at a game sometime between February and June.

May 19, 2015
This kinda proves how hard it is to do this stuff, by which I mean, moderate a forum of a diverse community.

-If we moved the thread from the start, we lose followers, people hate us, call us racists, fascists, etc (and I'm sure those calls are still coming).

Basically impossible for us to win with everyone on this one. I will admit though I'm somewhat surprised to see the anti-cancel culture crowd cancel us for letting a thread live (which, by the way, 1: started with a discussion about our basketball team posing in front of the Lee Monument...and 2: wasn't required reading by anyone, but sure enough...people enjoyed reading it apparently as the most popular thread on this forum by a mile the last month: 29k views, 751 replies).

Anyway, we'll keep doing the best we can. If we lose some folks along the way, c'est la vie. We know we're good dudes with a diverse set of views ourselves trying to manage an insane asylum to the best of our ability. See the rest of you at a game soon (or on here).

Edit: I realize I said "see you at a game soon"...which is probably not true. I hope though to somehow see you at a game sometime between February and June.
I appreciate the fact that you have allowed an unpopular opinion to remain and diversity. Thank you.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010

Don't beat yourself up on this. This is a very successful site you four have built. Some very important issues were brought up. like yourself, I am a businessman. I'm older than you and I've been in business longer than you as a result. The larger we grew as a business, the more impossible it became to cover political, social or religious topics -regardless of the intentions. We would never reach a consensus. People (good people) were always left hurt. You fought a good fight and you have done a lot of good with this site and particular thread. As Bud Fox's father says in the movie Wall Street " for all things considered in this cockamamie world, you're shooting par." Maybe even a stroke or 2 better than par.
Keep up the good work.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Just remember, folks: racism shouldn’t be about politics, and if/when you find it hard to discuss without politics coming into play, then it’s become more entwined than you think, and you should try to figure out why.

I appreciate this thread living as long as it did, and I also appreciate anyone who was willing to read and consider my thoughts without snark. I hope we all can move forward with less judgement of one another and with more consideration of inward bias. One doesn’t need to be a racist to think racist thoughts. Do the extra work to break down labels, judgements, fear, and anger, as I will also try to do. No one is perfect in this! I wish well on all of RamNation!

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Natty - I think you took my post out of context a bit. You stated you were surprised the Anti-Cancel culture would "cancel us." That is certainly painting anyone who raises a concern and is moving on with a broad brush. The Cancel-Culture you inferred to would actually want your site cancelled in it's entirety and you and your associates punished if in fact you had stepped over their line whatever it might be. Rest assured, whatever my position/decision is with respect to your site I absolutely do not wish for your site to be cancelled. You have done a terrific job building and maintaining your site and have provided a valuable service to Ramnation. I would debate anyone who challenged that notion. From my perspective it(site) has gravitated in a particular direction and thus the concern/problem with a number of long-term posters.

Reactions: Bridgewater83

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Natty - I think you took my post out of context a bit. You stated you were surprised the Anti-Cancel culture would "cancel us." That is certainly painting anyone who raises a concern and is moving on with a broad brush. The Cancel-Culture you inferred to would actually want your site cancelled in it's entirety and you and your associates punished if in fact you had stepped over their line whatever it might be. Rest assured, whatever my position/decision is with respect to your site I absolutely do not wish for your site to be cancelled. You have done a terrific job building and maintaining your site and have provided a valuable service to Ramnation. I would debate anyone who challenged that notion. From my perspective it(site) has gravitated in a particular direction and thus the concern/problem with a number of long-term posters.
Fair enough.

Either way, hope to all drink with everyone one of you and talk hoops in person in real life in the future.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
@vadiplomat04 @rammad90

How do you guys feel about the fact that mayor stoney's city prosecutor, Collette W. McEachin, reviewed the marcus Peter's case and found that the black cop who shot him "acted justifiably"?

"
However, Mrs. McEachin stated that her action does not mean the case would be reopened.

Instead, she stated she needs to read the information before coming to any decision about whether to change the conclusion of her predecessor, former Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael N. Herring.

After a two-month probe, Mr. Herring found that Michael Nyantakyi, the African-American police officer who fatally shot the naked and unarmed Mr. Peters, acted justifiably.".

Obviously. Anyone would disagree with this. The point is your democratic black mayor and democratic city prosecutor had a chance to resolve this one month ago and decided to let the cop off the hook.

If you want to change the situation, look at city hall ...not the white house.

Reactions: mike7842

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Give Stoney a break...he has been busy with his proclamation on black breastfeeding week

Only wish I was kidding