Players Time to have a conversation

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Do you hear yourself? Being black does not mean being progressive. I'm going to call you on it every time you say it.

Your are right. African Americans are not a monolithic voting block hence the reason I state black progressive instead of black conservative. There is, for example, a major difference between Corey Booker's and Tim Scott's views so I make the distinction

This is why as a Latin American I can say Latin American progressive as opposed to latin American conservative (AOC vs. Marco Rubio).

There is nothing racist in the way I stated my point.

With regard the police brutality, it occurs to everyone across the board and my son experienced it last year.

However, the media and society are placing this decades old problem at the foot of the White House.
This is a LOCAL issue. The mayor and the city councils negotiate the CBA with the police union.

Police brutality toward african Americans has been an issue for decades and nationally for the last 15 years

The Democrats have been in charge of city hall in Richmond since 1858 with exception of 1868 -1870 and 1988 -90. Since 1990 the Democrats have run the mayors office and city council with the last 3 mayors being African American.

One would think that during all that time that police brutality toward african Americans would have been addressed especially since the last 3 mayors should be sympathetic toward the issue They had the power to negotiate qualified immunity out of the police union cba, review no knock warrants and choke holds and didnt.

Again, if as conventional wisdom says, leaderships needs to reflect its construency's racial makeup and approve a progressive stance on policing then richmond already had the leadership in place to address the issue long before marcus Peter's.
Why hasn't the richmond mayor and city council addressed it until now?

My point is richmond voters regardless of race need to elect leaders (regardless of party) based on past performance and NOT race or any other immutable characteristic.

Last edited:

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Your are right. African Americans are not a monolithic voting block hence the reason I state black progressive instead of black conservative. There is, for example, a major difference between Corey Booker's and Tim Scott's views so I make the distinction

This is why as a Latin American I can say Latin American progressive as opposed to latin American conservative (AOC vs. Marco Rubio).

There is nothing racist in the way I stated my point.

With regard the police brutality, it occurs to everyone across the board and my son experienced it last year.

However, the media and society are placing this decades old problem at the foot of the White House.
This is a LOCAL issue. The mayor and the city councils negotiate the CBA with the police union.

Police brutality toward african Americans has been an issue for decades and nationally for the last 15 years

The Democrats have been in charge of city hall in Richmond since 1858 with exception of 1868 -1870 and 1988 -90. Since 1990 the Democrats have run the mayors office and city council with the last 3 mayors being African American.

One would think that during all that time that police brutality toward african Americans would have been addressed especially since the last 3 mayors should be sympathetic toward the issue They had the power to negotiate qualified immunity out of the police union cba, review no knock warrants and choke holds and didnt.

Again, if as conventional wisdom says, leaderships needs to reflect its construency's racial makeup and approve a progressive stance on policing then richmond already had the leadership in place to address the issue long before marcus Peter's.
Why hasn't the richmond mayor and city council addressed it until now?

My point is richmond voters regardless of race need to elect leaders (regardless of party) based on past performance and NOT race or any other immutable characteristic.
I have thought for a long time the two-party system is inadequate and forces some folk to strain to fit into one or the other. The Dems and GOP need to both be on either side of center. We need a true Liberal Party and a true Conservative Party. That way we can have some real power sharing like in England and Europe.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Reorganize and train correctly. What we have now isn't working.

Sure. No question.

Unfortunately, the proposals on the table will in no way solve the problem.

I have spent the last 2 1/2 years witnessing the local mental health authorities attempting to help my son deals with his issues.

The social workers and mental health professionals are ill equipped to deal with anyone's problems due to low morale. Most social workers and counselors working for the county, by their own admission, dont have the resources or training to handle their current work load. They end up passing out template worksheets for patients to finish in every visit to fulfill a quota and sign off on required paper workto boost their metrics.

They arent helping anyone.

They are essentially reduced to government paper pushers.

Now politicians are proposing to hire more social workers to assist in a more dangerous job at the same level of pay.

You gotta be kidding me.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Sure. No question.

Unfortunately, the proposals on the table will in no way solve the problem.

I have spent the last 2 1/2 years witnessing the local mental health authorities attempting to help my son deals with his issues.

The social workers and mental health professionals are ill equipped to deal with anyone's problems due to low morale. Most social workers and counselors working for the county, by their own admission, dont have the resources or training to handle their current work load. They end up passing out template worksheets for patients to finish in every visit to fulfill a quota and sign off on required paper workto boost their metrics.

They arent helping anyone.

They are essentially reduced to government paper pushers.

Now politicians are proposing to hire more social workers to assist in a more dangerous job at the same level of pay.

You gotta be kidding me.
It is going to take a big push. Mental health always gets the short end of the stick.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Your are right.
Delayed response, I was out of town. I apologize, @duncanlamb . While I disagree with much of what you say, I don't need to be making stuff up. I am not interested in debating any of this with you, but I did want to say that sometimes we all sort of react emotionally in social media or a forum like this. I'm much better and absorbing and thinking about stuff before I say it.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
1600962941649.png

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011