Toibu "Tobi" Lawal

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
People love to inflate numbers.

A 45 inch vertical at 6’8 would put the top of your head at 10’5. That’s not happening. Not for Tobi and not for pretty much anyone in planet Earth. But if he can show us a video of Tobi touching his nose on the rim, then I’ll believe it.

And if this was true, then Tobi could get 10+ million views with a verified YouTube video and would blow up social media. But we’re not going to see that.
Since he never had exposure and came into the U.S. fairly raw and had few games due to Covid...it did keep his highlight film from being a hit on junky keyboards. It also limited his offers and it also is why we kept his visit on the QT. I trust my eyes, trust the source (our staff and others) that it is UP there. Like I said few weeks ago whether it 42,43, 44, 45,... it's high. I am going to say it is about 43-45 and that is awesome.

"Some people like to DEFLATE" posivity"
"Some people NEED to infate numbers, some don't :lol:"

I propose a fundraiser BLACK & GOLD Exhibition with Toby dunking over Heel sitting on a chair with his head at 45", he he only leaps 38.5 as Heel suggest then there will be a huge crash followed by a cheer, "You were right"!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Since he never had exposure and came into the U.S. fairly raw and had few games due to Covid...it did keep his highlight film from being a hit on junky keyboards. It also limited his offers and it also is why we kept his visit on the QT. I trust my eyes, trust the source (our staff and others) that it is UP there. Like I said few weeks ago whether it 42,43, 44, 45,... it's high. I am going to say it is about 43-45 and that is awesome.

"Some people like to DEFLATE" posivity"
"Some people NEED to infate numbers, some don't :lol:"

I propose a fundraiser BLACK & GOLD Exhibition with Toby dunking over Heel sitting on a chair with his head at 45", he he only leaps 38.5 as Heel suggest then there will be a huge crash followed by a cheer, "You were right"!
If you’re the one that‘s so confident that the number reported (which was second hand not even observed by Dr. G based on what he said on the podcast), then you should feel perfectly being the one under him for this dunk/jump you propose.

The simple fact is that VCU has put out one video where he didn’t come within 6 inches of a 45 inch vertical. It’s amazing that pointing out that a jump was “only” about 38 inches based on verifiable video evidence and simple math is viewed as negativity by certain people.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
The video you are referring to was the Standing Verticle". Not going to explain it again but you are welcome to go back a reference that. You can go further back for reference to your comments about Curry being a wasted scholarship but I am guessing he also lept over that declaration.

I don't Ramnation very often anymore but when I do I like battling with you because you are a worthy combatant. Often I agree with you but disagree just to provide you the pleasure of battle!

I have seen the best Ram leapers from the earliest D-I days to the Fred Brown, Phil Stinnie, Special K, Hargett, and many more recent that we all know. I have't seen anymore whose vertical was higher than Fred Browns until Toibu's and it significantly higher. We have had plenty of 38" vertical guys, not so with 40+.

Sad thing is that there is no reason to piss on the fire, you could just say, "I will believe it when I see it" and I will respond "bravo"!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The video you are referring to was the Standing Verticle". Not going to explain it again but you are welcome to go back a reference that. You can go further back for reference to your comments about Curry being a wasted scholarship but I am guessing he also lept over that declaration.

I don't Ramnation very often anymore but when I do I like battling with you because you are a worthy combatant. Often I agree with you but disagree just to provide you the pleasure of battle!

I have seen the best Ram leapers from the earliest D-I days to the Fred Brown, Phil Stinnie, Special K, Hargett, and many more recent that we all know. I have't seen anymore whose vertical was higher than Fred Browns until Toibu's and it significantly higher. We have had plenty of 38" vertical guys, not so with 40+.

Sad thing is that there is no reason to piss on the fire, you could just say, "I will believe it when I see it" and I will respond "bravo"!
I am not referencing the standing vertical video. I’m referencing the video posted last week where he ran, jumped and touched the 11’9 rung on the 12 foot vertical measuring device. On his first jump he touched the 11’8 inch rung and he then got one more rung on the next jump. The device is standard for measuring these jumps and the math is very easy to work out based on the video VCU provided and his reported height.

I’ve stated several times that I would believe it when I see it. I do believe what I’ve seen in the video that VCU posted on its Twitter account. And it wasn’t remotely close to 45 inches in that video.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
How about we all just agree that Tobi Lawal jumps really high and we're excited about seeing him this season?
I’ve agreed to that a long time back. A 38-40 inch running vertical is world class for a basketball player. Most of the quoted numbers for guys like Zion, Jordan, Carter, Wilt, etc. are unverified and not accurate.

I just don’t believe in putting out BS info that’s clearly BS. It’s not fair to the kid that’s having unfair and unrealistic expectations put on him. And I think it’s silly for people to completely ignore basic, obvious math.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
How about we all just agree that Tobi Lawal jumps really high and we're excited about seeing him this season?
What's the fun in that LOL's. Ok @SteveMM, it does get old to compare apples and oranges or myth and reality especially when playing both sides is more entertaining. The one thing I will stand firm on is that as far as Rams go he is the highest leaper I have seen and I am old as dirt.

I'm wondering if Lawal participated in any track and field since coming to US or before in England - that takes the theatrical out of the equation .... vertical leap can be measured in so many ways; you have to know the details to take it seriously .... the best indicator of natural leaping ability is the standing broad. I would guess Lawal can do about 10-9, which is about what the top football players (mainly receivers, running backs, defensive backs) to at the combine. Standing broad jump was once an Olympic event ... read up on Ray Ewry, "The Human Frog"
British Air Confirmed Measured Verticle. 45"

For legend and others comparison sake : Vince Carter 43" , Michael Jordan 46 ! ( depending on source), Ja Morant, David Thompson, Spud- 44".

Now, keep in mind that it takes more than being able to jumb high. Are you agressively strong with the ball? Can you see the seems and attack and dunk over folks? Are you fearless?

Were they jumping with a running start ... one step and jump ... straight up off two legs? It gets complicated. Two years ago, Liberty's 5-9 Darius McGhee was credited with a 48-inch vertical. The school provided video evidence that may still be available.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I'm wondering if Lawal participated in any track and field since coming to US or before in England - that takes the theatrical out of the equation .... vertical leap can be measured in so many ways; you have to know the details to take it seriously .... the best indicator of natural leaping ability is the standing broad. I would guess Lawal can do about 10-9, which is about what the top football players (mainly receivers, running backs, defensive backs) to at the combine. Standing broad jump was once an Olympic event ... read up on Ray Ewry, "The Human Frog"

Were they jumping with a running start ... one step and jump ... straight up off two legs? It gets complicated. Two years ago, Liberty's 5-9 Darius McGhee was credited with a 48-inch vertical. The school provided video evidence that may still be available. The

Were they jumping with a running start ... one step and jump ... straight up off two legs? It gets complicated. Two years ago, Liberty's 5-9 Darius McGhee was credited with a 48-inch vertical. The school provided video evidence that may still be available.
That is why there are two different measurements, a Standing Vertical and Running Vertical. Even with a running there just aren't many-even elite athlete- that get up to those 40" numbers. Even the 38 to be honest. They always reported that Wilt's had been measured at 48" which likely was inflated. He was an incredible athlete but at his size it sure would be hard to get 4 feet off the ground and it would have put him in the second tier of seats. Inflated would echo Heel's comments that basically everything shared about a feat is inflated.

They always reported that Wilt's had been measured at 48" which likely was inflated. He was an incredible athlete but at his size it sure would be hard to get 4 feet off the ground and it would have put him in the second tier of seats.
Wilt was quite an athlete he ran the 100 yards 10.9 seconds , threw the shot put 56 feet and tripled jumped 50 feet. He also won the NCAA Big Eight high jump competition 3 straight years.
Most remember Wilt as the athlete near the end of his NBA career were he was likely 300 lbs at 7'1" and lacked the mobility he had in high school, college and first 5 years in the NBA (but call me a skeptic on a 48" vertical for Wilt - I would believe 40" which would mean he could touch top of backboard)

Last edited:

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Wilt was quite an athlete he ran the 100 meters at 10.9 seconds (Usain Bolt’s record is 9.58 seconds), threw the shot put 56 feet and tripled jumped 50 feet. He also won the NCAA Big Eight high jump competition 3 straight years.
Most remember Wilt as the athlete near the end of his NBA career were he was likely 300 lbs at 7'1" and lacked the mobility he had in high school, college and first 5 years in the NBA (but call me a skeptic on a 48" vertical for Wilt - I would believe 40" which would mean he could touch top of backboard)
Yes, the Chamberlain that you and I are referencing was the young track star and athlete before filling out to be such a sturdy guy and before knee and achilles issues. I agree and though many sites list that for him it usually is "reportedly".

Wilt was quite an athlete he ran the 100 meters at 10.9 seconds (Usain Bolt’s record is 9.58 seconds), threw the shot put 56 feet and tripled jumped 50 feet. He also won the NCAA Big Eight high jump competition 3 straight years.

In Wilt's day, track was measured more in yards than meters .... 100 meters is 110 yards. From what I've read his best distance was the quarter mile - either 440 yards or 400 meters. Wilt likely put on 75 pounds from his freshman year at Kansas to later in his NBA career, spanning some 15 years. Photos will show that.