Top 25 watch (VCU ranked #21)

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
This poll doesn't amount to much more than a pre season poll. Great to see VCU getting some much deserved love though.

Hardly anyone is playing head to head competition right now though. The rankings will mean a great deal more once we get thru the Thanksgiving, and Christmas tournaments, and into January. Just my $.02.
I agree with one caveat. For us, it does matter as any shine we receive as a program helps us recruit and promotes our program and university. Agreed as to basketball play it really doesnt matter that much.

However, being a mid major we need to stay in the public eye to remain relevant. There may be a kid somewhere that brags to his buds that VCU is in his final group and he's considering going there. Buddy says VCwho? and he responds dude great program, great facilities, great location, great fans, and "we" are ranked.

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I agree with one caveat. For us, it does matter as any shine we receive as a program helps us recruit and promotes our program. Agreed as to basketball it really doesnt matter that much. But being a mid major we need to stay in the public eye to remain relevant. There may be a kid somewhere that brags to his buds that VCU is in his final group and he's considering going there. Buddy says VCwho? and he responds dude great program, great facilities, great location, great fans, and "we" are ranked.
very true. I'm Looking at it strictly from a numbers game, not the exposure it brings to the school, which is significant, and makes my comment a bit off. It does matter for the reasons you listed above.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Yes - Life is good in Ram-Land. Very good. I think we're in the best position / situation that we have been in- in many, many years. We're winning now. We're Nationally ranked. We have a GREAT Coaching Staff. We've got a great Team. We've got great recruits coming in. The conference is really looking up. And the big one.... I think we've finally achieved something that has alluded us for many years now. I think we're going to get some Coaching Consistency. I think Coach Rhoades is going to be here for a while. I could be wrong. But I don't think so. I think this is it for him, and he wants to do big things right here in Richmond. We're in a great spot right now.

By the way..... I saw where CBS Sports has us ranked # 16 Nationally this week. We're in all the polls, and getting lots of love. Gotta keep it rolling now. We win enough, we continue to climb higher, and then when you lose a game or two, it doesn't hurt so much, and knock us out. These polls are huge for recruiting, TV deals, scheduling, all that. We need to bank this cache - big time.

Last edited:

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Yes - Life is good in Ram-Land. Very good. I think we're in the best position / situation that we have been in a many, many years. We're winning now. We're Nationally ranked. We have a GREAT Coaching Staff. We've got a great Team. We've got great recruits coming in. The conference is really looking up. And the big one.... I think we've finally achieved something that has alluded us for many years now. I think we're going to get some Coaching Consistency. I think Coach Rhoades is going to be here for a while. I could be wrong. But I don't think so. I think this is it for him, and he wants to do big things right here in Richmond. We're in a great spot right now.

By the way..... I saw where CBS Sports has us ranked # 16 Nationally this week. We're in all the polls, and getting lots of love. Gotta keep it rolling now. We win enough, we continue to climb higher, and then when you lose a game or two, it doesn't hurt so much, and knock us out. These polls are huge for recruiting, TV deals, scheduling, all that. We need to bank this cache - big time.
How any rational person can think polls don't have value is beyond me. Obviously they don't count a great deal early in the season with respect to the selection committee or determining who will have the best program come March, but the residual benefit is huge. Anytime a non P5 can get their name in literally thousands of publications and mentions on TV/Radio nationally is huge. The national marketing value is off the charts. People that rarely see your name mentioned see it every day. Perhaps the greatest value comes from the impact on the recruiting function. We all say to make that jump to the next level we need to sign more elite recruits. Well guess what - it's a lot easier for a kid who is under enormous peer group pressure to wear your schools Jersey when he walks down the hall in school after having committed to VCU. When he's queried as to why he signed with VCU vs. a P5 program he can say "hey man were ranked and are a consistent participant in post season play." I've seen this close-up. No question NCAA post season participation is the number one variable but being ranked certainly has it's benefits. Think moral suasion. Another benefit is how John-Q-Public as well as Corporate America perceives your program and the potential for an increase in giving.

The point is, while it may not impact the analytics, particularly early on, it can have a very substantial overall positive impact on the program.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
FSU escaped at home tonight against Western Carolina, 79-74. They were down 7 at the half.