Top 25 watch (VCU ranked #21)

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Other than "marketing" I'm not big on the whole top 25 thing, especially this early BUT Purdue and TN making a jump like that says a lot on the VCU perception.
None of them really jumped. Purdue was 10, FSU 17 and Tennesee 21 before this weekend. They have been hovering in the same area for the last 3 weeks.

I am no stat geek.but I am now persuaded to believe that mr. Pomeroy's site stats are more closely aligned with reality than writer or coaches poll.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Well, if you don't want to use KenPom because of perceived "flaws", there's Haslametrics...

(San Diego State - #5)
Dayton - #6
Florida State - #16
Duquesne - #38
Purdue - #39
Richmond - #40
VCU - #53

Haslametrics is usually pretty good but I guess the sample size isn't large enough right now, although their analysis is actually pretty spot-on (AO refers to a fictitious "average opponent" with completely average stats):

VCU is a moderately good team, capable of testing many an opponent that they'll encounter. Their record this season is 6-2, and the club is ranked 53rd overall (out of 353) in Haslametrics' most recent ratings.

VCU has a fairly effective defensive attack. Occupying the #54 slot in our defensive efficiency ratings, they will allow about 88 points for every 100 possessions vs. AO. VCU thrives on scoring fast and easy points off of steals. They're ranked first in potential points off of breakaway steals vs. AO with a rating of 21.90. VCU also has extremely pesky defenders that ceaselessly attempt to deny opponents ample opportunity to shoot. The club is ranked 18th in Division I in defensive field goal attempt rate with a rating of 72.31 vs. AO.

VCU plays at about the same level on offense as they do on defense. The team ranks 75th nationally in offensive efficiency, scoring about 105 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. VCU does a really good job to acquire opportunities from the free throw line. With a free throw attempt rate of 31.70 vs. AO, they are ranked 34th in the nation at getting to the charity stripe, where the team shoots a rather mediocre 72.4%. VCU will also make a strong effort to get off as many field goals close to the basket as they can. The ball-club is 46th in the NCAA in ratio of near-proximity attempts to total field goal attempts. As far as converting those near-proximity shots goes, the team shoots 55.2% vs. AO, which falls somewhere in the middle of the pack of the rankings in that category.

Last edited:

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Well, if you don't want to use KenPom because of perceived "flaws", there's Haslametrics...

(San Diego State - #5)
Dayton - #6
Florida State - #16
Duquesne - #38
Purdue - #39
Richmond - #40
VCU - #53

...okay, that's weird. (Haslametrics is usually pretty good but I guess the sample size isn't large enough right now.)
yeah, there's a bit of wonkiness due to a lower sample size but I'm glad there's a metric out that isn't anchored to pre-season projections. Starting to get a little more clear.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013

(San Diego State - #5)
Dayton - #6
Florida State - #16
Duquesne - #38
Purdue - #39
Richmond - #40
VCU - #53

...okay, that's weird. Haslametrics is usually pretty good but I guess the sample size isn't large enough right now, although their analysis is actually pretty spot-on (AO refers to a fictitious "average opponent" with completely average stats):
To be clear, I think they all have flaws. Kenpom may be the best, but obviously as I said about the flaw, when Purdue loses to a team with a better record on a neutral court, they should probably not be ranked ahead of that team. Pure statistical analysis will always come up short when human beings are involved. At this time of year they all are still a little short on data. I think Has... may have Dayton too high and us to low, but that's just me.

Nov 19, 2019
wow - dropped out of the top 25 (clearly expected after 2 losses this past week) now sit like 40th tied with U of R and behind Liberty - This early in season the national rankings still remain a little bit of a beauty contest but no sense to be behind Liberty and on par with U of R.
I am expecting the coaches poll to be a little more favorable to VCU (expect us to fall outside top 25) and would see us around 33-38
we need to run the table in December to start sniffing top 25 again
Go Rams
I m like you, didn't expect to fall like that. Behind Liberty and even with UR is a slap. only one voter gave us a 24 spot. Every game is a must now to get back before conference plasy starts.