Tournament affected by the corona virus?

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I read it, you're not missing anything.

It was all about how @[U]BracketForecast[/U] uses the Occult rituals that were passed down to him by fell Rams in sacrificing small watches upon the alter whilst chanting V - C - U, bringing up the knife before the fatal blow in preparation for the war on Thursday...

...you should see what's being done against the fight of the virus of the crown...

-j/k
1583861954648.gif

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
The last thing I want, and I'm almost 70 year's old prime age for this virus, is for a politician telling me what I can do, and not do for entertainment. The yearly flu seems to have a far greater potential in killing you, and I than this virus. The news media, and politicians are blowing this virus way out of proportion!

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe another alternative is to cancel twitter for a couple of weeks. At least basketball fans have at least part of a brain and some common sense.
Actually the no fans thing is a real alternative that is being discussed right now. Here is an article on that. Also, the governor of NY has just deployed the national guard to New Rochelle which is right outside of NYC. NYC is hosting the east regional this year at MSG. It's a real possibility that you will be watching the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 without fans in the stands.

Reactions: AnnuitCoeptis

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Well, I just hope that if they "cancel" fans (either by not letting us in or by cancelling the entire thing) they do it soon (today). Most hotels now have a two day cancellation rule. So I have until midnight to cancel. These are some expensive hotels. I hate to spend the weekend in NYC and not even be allowed to go to the games.

Then there is the problem with tickets. I always buy Reserve Seats. Mine are the $350/seat for the entire event. So what are they going to do for that?
I expect that this will all come down to money for the conference. Most conferences depend on these tournaments for a lot of their yearly revenue. God forbid that they might lose a dollar.

Which brings up liability. If they sponsor the event and allow everyone in, does the Conference and the arena share in the liability, if there is any? I'd sure hate for my name to be on the decision to move forward, and then a few hundred people get sick. If the City/State declares a State of Emergency (some have) it is a know hazard. So they would be making a decision, based on not losing money, to the hazard of those attending.

Last edited:

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
Gotta love comparing coronavirus VS influenza total deaths which include the following potential exposures:

Influenza - 7.7 Billion for an entire year

<to>

Coronavirus - virus that exposure did not exist at Thanksgiving, probably not before December. There very limited exposure to the overall 7.7 Billion people of earth. So 12 weeks of known exposure, most of that time was limited to three provinces in China.

Seems totally legit to compare their respective global threat by comparison of total annual deaths to me...

Has Italy ever closed because of the flu? I hope people realize that the Italians only did this because quarantining all of the Northern Provinces proved ineffective. We are perhaps less well equipped than Italy at containing this virus because 1) there is a high cost with testing and 2) most workers in the US are under very intense pressure to show up for work regardless of their own health. Italian business culture has less pressure on their workers and their citizens are provided national health insurance so there is no financial hurdle for people to get tested. Despite this, the Italians have lost containment and are in a full-fledged outbreak with no clear path to containment ATM.

We should consider nationalize testing costs for this immediately if we wanna get a handle on it so people will not hesitate to test, while infecting numerous people and places, before quarantining themselves. Even if that is an overreaction, that is preferable to an underreaction in this case.

I will be very surprised if the Ivy League is the only tournament cancellation.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I read it, you're not missing anything.

It was all about how @BracketForecast uses the Occult rituals that were passed down to him by fell Rams in sacrificing small watches upon the alter whilst chanting V - C - U, bringing up the knife before the fatal blow in preparation for the war on Thursday...

...you should see what's being done against the fight of the virus of the crown...

-j/k

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Gotta love comparing coronavirus VS influenza total deaths which include the following potential exposures:

Influenza - 7.7 Billion for an entire year

<to>

Coronavirus - virus that exposure did not exist at Thanksgiving, probably not before December. There very limited exposure to the overall 7.7 Billion people of earth. So 12 weeks of known exposure, most of that time was limited to three provinces in China.

Seems totally legit to compare their respective global threat by comparison of total annual deaths to me...

Has Italy ever closed because of the flu? I hope people realize that the Italians only did this because quarantining all of the Northern Provinces proved ineffective. We are perhaps less well equipped than Italy at containing this virus because 1) there is a high cost with testing and 2) most workers in the US are under very intense pressure to show up for work regardless of their own health. Italian business culture has less pressure on their workers and their citizens are provided national health insurance so there is no financial hurdle for people to get tested. Despite this, the Italians have lost containment and are in a full-fledged outbreak with no clear path to containment ATM.

We should consider nationalize testing costs for this immediately if we wanna get a handle on it so people will not hesitate to test, while infecting numerous people and places, before quarantining themselves. Even if that is an overreaction, that is preferable to an underreaction in this case.

I will be very surprised if the Ivy League is the only tournament cancellation.
The unknown unknown. Gets ya every time. Or doesn't, depending.